View Full Version : Need a good tutorial for basic coding of an Atmega8 microprocessor

fosley
May 2nd, 2009, 10:25 PM
Hey guys. A while back I purchased some Atmega8 microprocessors, a breadboard and some other stuff, and I'm trying to remember how to actually put a program on the microprocessor.

I'm about to rig up a spare PC power supply for a regulated 5V source, then use a couple random components to try making something sorta useful. Once I've figured out some basics, I can start writing something actually useful.

I know there are some tutorials that show some basic coding with free compilers, but I'm having trouble finding them now. Any ideas?

Also, does anybody know a good place to start for adding USB and CAN Bus interfaces to a program on the microprocessor? And to make the USB useful, how about a tutorial for talking to my device from a standard Windows program created in something like C# or VB.Net?

Thanks!

rzm61
May 3rd, 2009, 08:55 AM
Try this?

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=Atmega8+microprocessor+coding+forum&fp=OlAWEoQSgPM

fosley
May 3rd, 2009, 09:11 AM
I found this (http://www.pocketmagic.net/?p=375), but I'm lacking a parallel port to actually connect my programmer dongle thingy to, so I'm going to have to get a USB version somewhere, or a USB parallel port.

I did manage to hack a PC PSU together to give me a clean 4.8V power source instead of messing with 9V batteries and 7508 voltage regulators. Turns out I need a mainboard connected to the PSU so I can toggle the soft-on switch and actually get voltage out of the IDE power cables. :) Though I'm sure I can just jump one of the wires from the main power cable -- likely the purple or green wire.

And I used the AVR studio stuff from the tutorial I linked to, which seemingly supports this microprocessor, but I guess I'll see once I get it connected. However, it means I'm going to have to learn C.

I'll try that forum for support once I get my other components and see if I can figure out how to make something that's actually useful.

Tsar Phalanxia
May 3rd, 2009, 02:11 PM
Check a tech forum. I have no idea wen it comes to stuff like this.