View Full Version : Anybody know how (if?) I can increase the resolution of my photos?

rmw
May 3rd, 2009, 09:49 PM
Okay, I'm pretty technologically challenged here, so I don't even know if what I'm asking is possible: I want to drastically increase the resolution of some JPEG files--I want to take have some pictures of a trip to Romania converted into a poster. Can I do this, and if so, how?

rzm61
May 3rd, 2009, 09:51 PM
If you're blowing up the size of them I don't think it's possible. But I could be wrong.

rmw
May 3rd, 2009, 09:52 PM
That's kinda what I thought. Bummer.

rzm61
May 3rd, 2009, 09:54 PM
But hey, with modern technology it might be possible.

Enhance. (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://content.ytmnd.com/content/8/d/6/8d6ef62d218ca6c5b0a3c17f30d057d4.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.ytmnd.com/keyword/enhance&usg=__1UwO4EJmhFJRB6BNMeV-YiTxXjg=&h=250&w=300&sz=18&hl=en&start=1&um=1&tbnid=qyF8f89CJCg9NM:&tbnh=97&tbnw=116&prev=/images%3Fq%3Denhance%252Bsuper%2Btroopers%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG%26um%3D1)

Erasmus
May 3rd, 2009, 09:54 PM
With res increase the best you can do is minimise the damage.

Daruko
May 3rd, 2009, 09:56 PM
RMW: Gimme a sample file at that resolution, and specify the new dimensions. I'll see what I can do. I could probably manually enhance it like a giant restoration and give you exactly what you're looking for.

rmw
May 3rd, 2009, 09:58 PM
I'll send you the file itself if you want to PM me your email addy. (No spam, I swear.)

Daruko
May 3rd, 2009, 10:00 PM
done.

rmw
May 3rd, 2009, 10:06 PM
Thnx. Email sent.

rmw
May 3rd, 2009, 10:07 PM
Yeah, I'd be fine even w/ some decent smaller ones. Maybe I'll check out a few more sites, see what they have to say.

rmw
May 3rd, 2009, 10:24 PM
I'm such an idiot. I just did a file: save from my flickr acct, since I didn't want to bother finding the flash drive they're (probably) located on. I'm going to try to upload them again from the flash drive--I should get a better resolution. (Told you I was technologically incompetent.)

Edit: Daruko, feel free to ignore the email I sent, since I figured it out. Thanks for the advice, all. :D

Tsar Phalanxia
May 3rd, 2009, 10:58 PM
Okay, I'm pretty technologically challenged here, so I don't even know if what I'm asking is possible: I want to drastically increase the resolution of some JPEG files--I want to take have some pictures of a trip to Romania converted into a poster. Can I do this, and if so, how?

But hey, with modern technology it might be possible.

Enhance. (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://content.ytmnd.com/content/8/d/6/8d6ef62d218ca6c5b0a3c17f30d057d4.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.ytmnd.com/keyword/enhance&usg=__1UwO4EJmhFJRB6BNMeV-YiTxXjg=&h=250&w=300&sz=18&hl=en&start=1&um=1&tbnid=qyF8f89CJCg9NM:&tbnh=97&tbnw=116&prev=/images%3Fq%3Denhance%252Bsuper%2Btroopers%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG%26um%3D1)
DAMN
Beat me to it.

sailor
May 4th, 2009, 05:59 AM
KINKOS BLUEPRINT

Daruko
May 4th, 2009, 06:02 AM
Daruko, feel free to ignore the email I sent, since I figured it out. Thanks for the advice, all. :D
Thank Google. That job would've entailed way more work than I like to do for free, for it to look good at that resolution. Where the hell did you get such tiny images to start from?

sailor
May 4th, 2009, 06:05 AM
Haha!!

24/7 FEDEX KINKOS -- FTMFW

farm that poster-res shit out.

djura
May 4th, 2009, 11:52 AM
the process used for blowing up small images to a large printable format is called "gigantization". It is done using a rotary scanner and offset printing machine. Since, you probably don't have these laying around, you can use you ink jet and photo paper to make a decent print out of a small image. Than scan it again @ 600 dpi, (cmyk) add some blur, dust and scratches in photoshop, and the trick is to make a slightly saturated image (use hue/saturation) command, and pump up the mastar/red curve, but be carefull not to over do it.
Print an A4 on photopapper, and scan it again, but decrese the color saturation in scanning software. Again, photoshop, dust and scratches, play with levels a bit, and finally open channels toolbar. Take each cmyk channel and overlap in on top of eachother. This will cancel the dotted effect cased by your printer. Add more blur, and play with levels some more. Add more saturation, and finnaly add another layer on top of whole document. Make sure it's 5-7% black only, and set alpha to 3-7%. set the image resolution to 120 dpi, with desired poster size. this should result in a decent enough poster size picture.

Tsar Phalanxia
May 4th, 2009, 12:14 PM
wb djura

strategist01
May 4th, 2009, 12:26 PM
I heard that you can reduce the file size by using photshop, where it blend areas of similar colours together to form colour "blocs". Is this what you're talking about?

djura
May 4th, 2009, 01:29 PM
no, what you refer to is basic gif compression. Most compression algorithms work in similar way, the trick is to use color assimilation differently acording to particular area of the image.
When blowing up, you have to mesh pixels (or points) throughout the image in such way to create an illusion of points being smaller than they actually are. It's basically a reverse process then compression, since yo add additional colors and shades.
One other thing, you could use your digital camera to do this, but need to have a source of really soft white light, white background, camera fixture, nad print the image on matte photo paper. A good camera would also be helpful, doing it with a hand held sony wont do it.

sailor
May 5th, 2009, 04:36 AM
I heard that you can reduce the file size by using photshop, where it blend areas of similar colours together to form colour "blocs". Is this what you're talking about?

I resize digital image files all the time in photoshop. my ps is older, and it still does a good job for internet and flyers. however, you will lose resolution if you go too high in size. dots per inch (dpi) or pixels per inch (ppi) are what you want to squeeze down and then blow up the inch x inch actual size of the image for printing.

it is best to consult with your printer or digital output center for exact color and dpi that will work for the size & quality of poster you are wanting to create. (what stock/weight of paper and what it's being used for)

if you don't have PS, i recommend going to a local junior college design dept. and making friends with a student or a teacher there.

otherwise, what you can utilize are the self-service stations at any local DIGITAL OUTPUT center near your house. you may have to go the the city center (downtown) area for a good one that will help guide you in resolution/dpi/size/color issues.

the other things are this:

PS BIBLE can be purchased used online (amazon, half.com) or go to a good library - like college or large city, check it out and look up the terms you are having probs with.

an arch. drafting person who is familiar with C.A.D. could also be a good resource, as could a Mac Guru...they are advertised in the local news rag classified sections & trendy store bulletin boards....craigslist?? just saying!!!

a graphic designer, desktop publisher, or graphics printer who is small or homebased can usually be cheaper and you can question ask them about stuff for trades, or often get it somewhat free, like -- dinner & a dvd??

haha. so, then, also you could get online help via the Mac store. They will make an appt. and chat with you...tech support phone or chat lines...maybe free, maybe paid.

lastly, a photo store that deals with digital editing and photography (who doesn't?) sometimes holds cheap weekend workshops on DPI/PPI - res. issues. they teach about digital camera usage, output and other gems. we have a Fromex...it's great!

you could also check for a weekend class at parks & rec., learning annex, uni. extension, or again, online university classes for life long learners type of situation.

i've been there and it's not a bad thing. the teachers are usually very knowledgable and aching to teach stuff to students.

otherwise, go chill with a coffee drink at one of those fancy Java Internet Coffee Bars.

:D

Al Farabi
May 9th, 2009, 08:39 AM

To drastically improve the resolution of any recording is not possible, because to do so would require more information than exists in the record. The sharpness of a photograph could be otherwise described as visual information describing a scene. Any information added (and therefore resolution) would have to come from an outside source, in the form of editing.

SO in short, no. You can't increase the resolution of an image. You might be able to edit in more detail than exists artificially though (by hand for example).

Paul Vii
May 9th, 2009, 08:50 AM
To drastically improve the resolution of any recording is not possible, because to do so would require more information than exists in the record. The sharpness of a photograph could be otherwise described as visual information describing a scene. Any information added (and therefore resolution) would have to come from an outside source, in the form of editing.

SO in short, no. You can't increase the resolution of an image. You might be able to edit in more detail than exists artificially though (by hand for example).

SO in short... you have no answer, again :(

Al Farabi
May 9th, 2009, 09:04 AM
SO in short... you have no answer, again :(

Except we do: no you cant, but you can make a new picture with artificial detail in it (which would not be an accurate photo anymore, just an artist's guess).

Paul Vii
May 9th, 2009, 09:10 AM
Except we do: no you cant, but you can make a new picture with artificial detail in it (which would not be an accurate photo anymore, just an artist's guess).

K' now tell us, wtf did what you just have to do with anything???

rmw
May 9th, 2009, 02:43 PM
I found the usb drive the original, higher-resolution files were stored, so my original question is moot. But thanks again for the advice all.

Daruko
May 9th, 2009, 03:06 PM
K' now tell us, wtf did what you just have to do with anything???
Since your sole purpose is to try to piss off all the members of this site, why don't you take your stupid little ass back to PD and jack off your pals instead. The difference between you and PClamb is pretty much nonexistent. You're just as creepy, stupid, useless, and banworthy.

fomenter
May 9th, 2009, 07:26 PM
The difference between you and PClamb is pretty much nonexistent. You're just as creepy, stupid, useless, and banworthy.
irony again daruko you are killing me man

also i would like darukos flame posts moderated, this crap doesn't belong in this section can we get it moved? we need a moderator ruling in here.. this kind of posting doesn't meet coG standards