View Full Version : Does anybody else find life boring and pointless?

Dayve
May 6th, 2009, 09:38 PM
For the last few years (about 4 actually) I've felt that way. I've pondered why this might be, and I've come up with a few theories. The first reason i thought of was the town i live in. A small town in north-west England that used to be the beating heart of the industrial revolution, but became hardly worth putting on the map once steam trains and coal were made obsolete by electricity. It's now a miserable place. The people are miserable, the crime rate is higher than anybody would like, everything gets vandalized by misguided teenagers on a nightly basis. I suppose an easy way to give you all a visual of what i mean would be as follows: I took my dog for a walk through the park a few days ago, used to be a lovely park, has a lake running right by it. The swings (or jungle gyms for you Americans) had all been burned off, and the floor was littered with empty beer cans, used syringes and even a used condom! When this is the type of crap you have to wake up to every morning, it gets on top of you.

Another reason may have been misuse of the internet. I've had access to the internet at home, without parental control software, since i was 11 years of age. Having always been alert and aware and interested in what goes on in the world daily, I'd read forums, news websites, I'd read random peoples opinions on subjects that no other 11-year old would waste time on. Couple this with a keen interest in guns and explosions, as all 11-year old boys have, the internet opened up the opportunity to watch amateur footage, not seen on TV, from the various wars and conflicts around the world. The explosions were fine to watch, but it was my morbid curiosity that led me to watch such videos as Russian soldiers being gruesomely beheaded by Chechen militants at the influential age of 12 or 13. I felt sick the entire way through, but i watched more and more. I've never felt right since. Perhaps it's this being aware of what goes on in the world that makes me not want to get up in the morning.

I've even thought it might be my fascination and love of history that makes me feel this way. I can spend an entire day (literally, an entire 16 hours or so) reading a whole book about any given period of history, before the invention of cars, trains, guns, TV's... back when there was still a little mystery involved in life, when people could look up at the stars and not know that they were in fact just suns like our own, or when people thought the edge of the world was that forest over yonder, and to venture into it would be certain death... at the hands of pig-men or some such. Now, there's nothing of that nature left. Everything has been explained, there's nothing to ponder anymore. No age-old blind village elder to tell stories to you as a child about sirens luring sailors to their deaths at sea, no tales of adventure, nothing.

It could be any or all of these things, I'm not entirely sure, but one thing I'm absolutely positive of is... I'm effing bored of life. :icon_confused:

Clark Nova
May 6th, 2009, 10:46 PM
thats ok. you're just not doing it right.

Loki
May 6th, 2009, 10:55 PM
It could be any or all of these things, I'm not entirely sure, but one thing I'm absolutely positive of is... I'm effing bored of life. :icon_confused:

yeah - I feel like that from time to time.

Look at it this way - it's better than the alternative :D

Dr Goofy Mofo
May 6th, 2009, 11:01 PM
thats ok. you're just not doing it right.

I concur.

Dayve
May 6th, 2009, 11:06 PM
After reading my original post, it makes me look as though i'm about to commit suicide, or contemplating it. That has nothing to do with anything, i can assure you, nothing could be further from my mind.

I've tried joining clubs, but i tend not to get along with people, or at least... not many people. Possibly because i have the unshakable opinion that there are more bad people around than good, so it's best not to bother befriending anybody as they'll likely just screw you over in the long run. An unhealthy outlook on relationships to have, i know, but that's how i roll, if you will.

I suppose a lack of working out might have something to do with it, i have spent the last couple of years lost in books and second-life-type video games like EVE online, because my life in there is much more eventful and interesting. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to give it a shot. I still felt this way when i was active (from the ages of 17-20) and had a job, and a social life, though, so i doubt it'll work. (I'm only 21 now, so it's not like that was years and years ago).

Tsar Phalanxia
May 6th, 2009, 11:24 PM
This sounds an awful lot like you live in Skem, Wigan or St Helens.

Dayve
May 6th, 2009, 11:41 PM
Funny you should say that, i'm a stones throw from St. Helens. Have you been? It's a fucking dump isn't it. My town is no different, just a hell of a lot smaller.

Nice sig by the way. I've been playing EB ever since the minute the very first public version was released. What a mod...

Dayve
May 6th, 2009, 11:54 PM
Or i might end up killing someone...

One or the other. :) I do have a very low tolerance for idiocy though. One wrong word i hear and the veins start to throb, i have to gtfo.

Loki
May 7th, 2009, 12:14 AM
Shit Dayve! You can't say things like that on the internet!

The police will come to you!

PS - I was thinking about using sarin as an aftershave. I'm not sure though - Sarin or Tabun?
I'm trying to attract the 30 to 40 year old women so I think sarin would be the best - any ideas?
Taliban taliban taliban

:D

Dayve
May 7th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Shit Dayve! You can't say things like that on the internet!

The police will come to you!

PS - I was thinking about using sarin as an aftershave. I'm not sure though - Sarin or Tabun?
I'm trying to attract the 30 to 40 year old women so I think sarin would be the best - any ideas?
Taliban taliban taliban

:D

Are you on drugs? :icon_eek:

Tsar Phalanxia
May 7th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Funny you should say that, i'm a stones throw from St. Helens. Have you been? It's a fucking dump isn't it. My town is no different, just a hell of a lot smaller.

Well, I live in Ormskirk, but my dad works in Haydock, so I know it semi-well.

Nice sig by the way. I've been playing EB ever since the minute the very first public version was released. What a mod

Isn't it? Baktria is my favourite, but I think the sig for the Luso looks the best.

Are you on drugs? :icon_eek:

It's not impossible. :D

Will.
May 7th, 2009, 12:41 PM
LONG LIVE RUSSIAN BEHEADINGS...... Just so you know my standpoint here and about this.

Dayve
May 7th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Well, I live in Ormskirk, but my dad works in Haydock, so I know it semi-well.

Ah, Haydock. Went through it twice today. The only difference between my town and Haydock is that in my town you see empty cans of Stella and Fosters next to the hypodermic needles in the park. In Haydock it's usually 2-liter bottles of cheap nasty cider.

Me and my uncle play a game sometimes when we drive through our town and then through Haydock... spot the teenage mothers. It's not unusual to see girls as young as 16 pushing a pram, or sometimes even double-prams.

Or spot the smackhead. You can tell them by their distinct, fast and furious way of walking. They walk at 3x the speed of a non-smackhead.

Or, to pass the time when the smackheads and teenage mothers aren't out in such large numbers (very rarely) we count how many dumped binbags we can see in fields and canals, you know from people too lazy to take them to the rubbish dump, so they just throw it over their garden fence onto a field and forget about it.

Aye, there's fun to be had playing spot the smackhead.

Will.
May 7th, 2009, 05:02 PM
If you wonder why I'm so chaotic... I lived in Turkey for a while...

Loki
May 7th, 2009, 09:48 PM
It's not impossible. :D

Oh the respect I get! :D

Ha - you think you have it bad. When I was growing up I had to spend nearly every school holiday in Ainsdale, Southport.

It was great in summer but Christmas holidays were suicidal. Nothing was open - it looked like a B-movie sci-fi when the ants had won.

Dayve
May 7th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Yeah... well... my highschool got shut down for 3 months by offsted because they found rats in the canteen and shit all over the bathroom walls. Srsly, the head teacher got fired. Hah.

...Do i win?

Loki
May 7th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Yeah... well... my highschool got shut down for 3 months by offsted because they found rats in the canteen and shit all over the bathroom walls. Srsly, the head teacher got fired. Hah.

...Do i win?

Yeah - you win.

PS - I was being ironic. I had a piss easy childhood. I loved Ainsdale at any time of the year. I used to run riot in the dunes and get to play all of the newest arcade games in Southport.

I had a frigging ball Dayve :D

Dayve
May 7th, 2009, 11:40 PM
Childhood was fine, everything is an adventure when you're a nipper. Better find an alternate route past that used syringe, for it giveth diseases untold, treatable by only the rarest of herbs in the darkest of forests...

No, it's when i reached the age of about 11 and became fully aware of what was happening around me that it all started. Parents were dandy, had a kind family, good upbringing, just in a bad area, so it can't be anything to do with how i was raised.

In fact, my childhood was probably better and happier than most around here. It was always my house all my friends would come over to to play the latest Playstation game and shit like that... probably because their mothers were all smackheads and spent all their money on heroine and frozen pizza and mine wasn't.

Saw a used condom at the bus stop in the next street from me today as well. As if used rubbers in the park wasn't bad enough, now they're in bus stops. WILL NOBODY THINK OF THE OAP'S!?

Al Farabi
May 9th, 2009, 08:29 AM
Meaning is not inherent to life. You have to create your own.

Paul Vii
May 9th, 2009, 08:37 AM
For the last few years (about 4 actually) I've felt that way. I've pondered why this might be, and I've come up with a few theories. The first reason i thought of was the town i live in. A small town in north-west England that used to be the beating heart of the industrial revolution, but became hardly worth putting on the map once steam trains and coal were made obsolete by electricity. It's now a miserable place. The people are miserable, the crime rate is higher than anybody would like, everything gets vandalized by misguided teenagers on a nightly basis. I suppose an easy way to give you all a visual of what i mean would be as follows: I took my dog for a walk through the park a few days ago, used to be a lovely park, has a lake running right by it. The swings (or jungle gyms for you Americans) had all been burned off, and the floor was littered with empty beer cans, used syringes and even a used condom! When this is the type of crap you have to wake up to every morning, it gets on top of you.

Another reason may have been misuse of the internet. I've had access to the internet at home, without parental control software, since i was 11 years of age. Having always been alert and aware and interested in what goes on in the world daily, I'd read forums, news websites, I'd read random peoples opinions on subjects that no other 11-year old would waste time on. Couple this with a keen interest in guns and explosions, as all 11-year old boys have, the internet opened up the opportunity to watch amateur footage, not seen on TV, from the various wars and conflicts around the world. The explosions were fine to watch, but it was my morbid curiosity that led me to watch such videos as Russian soldiers being gruesomely beheaded by Chechen militants at the influential age of 12 or 13. I felt sick the entire way through, but i watched more and more. I've never felt right since. Perhaps it's this being aware of what goes on in the world that makes me not want to get up in the morning.

I've even thought it might be my fascination and love of history that makes me feel this way. I can spend an entire day (literally, an entire 16 hours or so) reading a whole book about any given period of history, before the invention of cars, trains, guns, TV's... back when there was still a little mystery involved in life, when people could look up at the stars and not know that they were in fact just suns like our own, or when people thought the edge of the world was that forest over yonder, and to venture into it would be certain death... at the hands of pig-men or some such. Now, there's nothing of that nature left. Everything has been explained, there's nothing to ponder anymore. No age-old blind village elder to tell stories to you as a child about sirens luring sailors to their deaths at sea, no tales of adventure, nothing.

might as well end yourself buddy. if you don't care, there's no reason for me to care.

sudikics
May 9th, 2009, 03:16 PM
might as well end yourself buddy. if you don't care, there's no reason for me to care.
This is General Discussion. If you're going to try to drive people to suicide go to IFU.

The Good Reverend Roger
May 9th, 2009, 05:35 PM
This is General Discussion. If you're going to try to drive people to suicide go to IFU.

TRANSLATION: All of the PD posters can only post in IFU.

Tsar Phalanxia
May 9th, 2009, 05:50 PM
TRANSLATION: All of the PD posters can only post in IFU.

CORRECTION: Shitfests belong in IFU, regardless of who posted them.

The Good Reverend Roger
May 9th, 2009, 06:04 PM

How is what he said a "shitfest"?

The Laughing Man
May 9th, 2009, 06:27 PM

Is a "shitfest" anything you personally disagree with?

rzm61
May 9th, 2009, 06:34 PM

It shouldn't be.

Tsar Phalanxia
May 9th, 2009, 06:40 PM
How is what he said a "shitfest"?
How is it not? Read what he said FFS

It shouldn't be.
Well, you'll be pleased to know that it isn't.

The Good Reverend Roger
May 9th, 2009, 06:41 PM
How is it not? Read what he said FFS

He suggested a solution. You didn't like the solution. This makes it a "shitfest".

Tsar Phalanxia
May 9th, 2009, 06:43 PM
A solution that was at once unfunny, unhelpful and potentially dangerous.

Ticks all the boxes.

The Good Reverend Roger
May 9th, 2009, 06:45 PM
A solution that was at once unfunny, unhelpful and potentially dangerous.

Ticks all the boxes.

How wasn't it helpful? It's not like the world couldn't use one less asshole.

For that matter, how wasn't it funny?

Dayve
May 9th, 2009, 07:10 PM

Oh I'm not asking anybody to care, just making general discussion.

The Good Reverend Roger
May 9th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Oh I'm not asking anybody to care, just making general discussion.

So was he.

fomenter
May 9th, 2009, 07:15 PM
we need to clamp down on the needles posting of speech we don't like, more rules in general discussion please.
mods can we get a ruling here? can you make this stop please

The Good Reverend Roger
May 9th, 2009, 07:23 PM
we need to clamp down on the needles posting of speech we don't like, more rules in general discussion please.
mods can we get a ruling here? can you make this stop please

WE CAN'T LET PEOPLE RUN AROUND ALL UNREGULATED, YOU KNOW.

The Good Reverend Roger
May 9th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Oh, and to answer the OP's question, no, I don't find life boring and pointless, because I DO SHIT on occasion.

I bet you hold your cigarettes backward, right? EET EES ALL SO BORINNNG!

Dayve
May 9th, 2009, 11:05 PM
Has nothing to do with doing stuff, as i said in the first post. Thanks for your two penneth though.

The Laughing Man
May 9th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Has nothing to do with doing stuff, as i said in the first post. Thanks for your two penneth though.

http://i39.tinypic.com/m836on.jpg

sudikics
May 10th, 2009, 01:29 AM
Guys, again, can we take the "am I censoring PDians or am I just trying to prevent thread derailment" discussion into another thread?

Wow, meta-question right there.

The Good Reverend Roger
May 10th, 2009, 06:59 AM
Guys, again, can we take the "am I censoring PDians or am I just trying to prevent thread derailment" discussion into another thread?

Wow, meta-question right there.

WTF?

We were discussing the fucking subject at hand. Goddammit.

psuedopsalm
May 11th, 2009, 01:55 AM
Boring. The word boring springs from only two things that I know: fear or laziness. Sounds like you need to get yourself a jumpstart and find something to motivate yourself. Your life. You gotta do it.

sam the moderately wize
May 13th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Dayve

Have you read any Camus?

You seem to have time; try some. He thinks on a similar line to you, but more hopefully. You may find both sympathy and optimism in his works.

The Good Reverend Roger
May 15th, 2009, 04:49 AM
Dayve

Have you read any Camus?

You seem to have time; try some. He thinks on a similar line to you, but more hopefully. You may find both sympathy and optimism in his works.

Optimism? In Albert Camus?

:icon_lol:

Dayve
May 15th, 2009, 07:37 PM
I suppose i could give it a try when I'm done reading my current one. Never heard of the guy but hey i'll try anything at this point.

Dementis
May 16th, 2009, 01:06 AM
Look at it this way - it's better than the alternative :D
debateable. We all feel like life is pointless at times. Working out definitely helps. Just try hanging out with people you enjoy being with and perhaps talk out some problems that you are having. Hang in there.

Loki
May 18th, 2009, 10:12 PM
debateable. We all feel like life is pointless at times. Working out definitely helps. Just try hanging out with people you enjoy being with and perhaps talk out some problems that you are having. Hang in there.

Ya - that's what I meant :D

sam the moderately wize
May 20th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Optimism? In Albert Camus?

:icon_lol:

Been reading the Fall?

The Plague and the Myth of Sisyphus are profoundly optimistic.