View Full Version : Government, Law and the future

Clark Nova
May 10th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Today at lunch me and a few friends were having a discussion on how laws come about and how governments make decisions.

Specifically regarding laws we came to the conclusion the inherent flaw of Law is that it is created in hindsight.
Laws come about because of undesirable situations, and act as a response to them.
as no two court cases are the same and don't work the same way the laws only act as a rough guide covering some of the points then well... a law.
Is it possible to come up method of predicting which laws will be needed for the next few years via social feedback and analysis.
Any suggestions, comments, discussions to toss in the pot?

The Good Reverend Roger
May 10th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Today at lunch me and a few friends were having a discussion on how laws come about and how governments make decisions.

Specifically regarding laws we came to the conclusion the inherent flaw of Law is that it is created in hindsight.
Laws come about because of undesirable situations, and act as a response to them.
as no two court cases are the same and don't work the same way the laws only act as a rough guide covering some of the points then well... a law.
Is it possible to come up method of predicting which laws will be needed for the next few years via social feedback and analysis.
Any suggestions, comments, discussions to toss in the pot?

Law comes around when a pack of alpha primates need to pretent to the entire tribe that they're actually DOING something about WHATEVER IT IS. So they pass a law that fucks with everyone who comes near the subject, and increases their control over the tribe. They use primal fear triggers to stifle any opposition from younger alphas (ie, "It's for the children".).

That is all.

Clark Nova
May 10th, 2009, 06:21 PM
Law comes around when a pack of alpha primates need to pretent to the entire tribe that they're actually DOING something about WHATEVER IT IS. So they pass a law that fucks with everyone who comes near the subject, and increases their control over the tribe. They use primal fear triggers to stifle any opposition from younger alphas (ie, "It's for the children".).

That is all.
I was trying to keep up the false pretense, for discussions sake. Perhaps I should have added "theoretically" to my post

The Good Reverend Roger
May 10th, 2009, 06:36 PM
I was trying to keep up the false pretense, for discussions sake. Perhaps I should have added "theoretically" to my post

I think the Hideous Truth makes a better conversation piece, myself.

There is no point debating anything until you've first laid it bare to the world.

Tsar Phalanxia
May 10th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Aren't Laws just the formalising of social conventions that have developed over time?

Dayve
May 10th, 2009, 10:30 PM
There has to be law, obviously, because while the individual human might be quite smart in general, human beings, collectively, are fucking stupid.

In the past, and by past i mean the distant past, dark/middle ages and before, laws were more direct and obvious. They were clearly and understandably, even to the lowliest peasant, there to keep the poor poor, and the elite elite.

Nowadays, aside from laws that punish people for petty and serious crimes like thievery and murder, laws are more indirect and harder to understand unless you delve deep into them and read thousands of pages worth of jargon, but if you have a lot of spare time on your hands and you delve deep enough, you'll see that laws purpose hasn't changed one bit in 6,000 years... it's there to keep the poor and stupid poor and stupid, and the elite and rich elite and rich. It's just presented to us in a deceiving and complicated way.

The Good Reverend Roger
May 11th, 2009, 02:07 AM
Aren't Laws just the formalising of social conventions that have developed over time?

No.

Tsar Phalanxia
May 11th, 2009, 09:06 AM
How so?

The Good Reverend Roger
May 12th, 2009, 04:15 AM
How so?

Laws are not customs. They are the means for the few to control the many, sometimes for the general good (ie, laws against murder, etc), sometimes to preserve a privileged social order (Jim Crow), sometimes to rape the living snot out of you and make a lot of boodle (The Iraq War Resolution, the bailouts, etc), and sometimes to make sure you know your place (REAL ID, PATRIOT, etc).