View Full Version : The pope's visit to the middle-east.

Dayve
May 15th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Being the pessimist (or, simply being realistic in this case) i honestly can't see it doing any good for anybody, and expect hostilities to resume from both sides immediately, if they weren't still going on as his visit was in progress, that is.

When he first got there, the muslims complained about a speech he made a few months ago about Islam being violent or something, and for the second half of his visit the Jews complained that he didn't show enough remorse for the holocaust.

I mean, it was futile right from the beginning if we're to be honest. Trying to get two religions who have an unshakable hatred for eachother to play nice, whilst throwing in as many political jabs against Iran as is humanly possible without actually directly insulting the Iranian nation... I just find the whole thing funny.

winwun
May 15th, 2009, 10:55 PM
Eggs should have know better than to even try -- once a little nazi, always a little nazi . . .

Dayve
May 15th, 2009, 11:50 PM
Well, the ex-Hitler Youth thing has always been an elephant in the room, especially when you couple it with the Catholic church's involvement in helping a good fair number of high-ranking Nazis get safe passage to various south American countries in the years after the war ended.

However, he says he was only a boy when he joined the Hitler Youth, and that service was mandatory, which it was, and he did go over to the middle east with a message of peace and whatnot, so i think i believe him, but hell, only he knows what goes on in his mind, and the vatican is basically a business with a lot of fat men with fat wallets drinking very fine wines and living the good life, so who knows.

But still, his little mission was utterly pointless. All people did while he was over there was whine, first about a speech about Islam he made several months ago, and second about him not showing enough remorse when speaking to holocaust survivors at Yad Vashem, as if there is a required amount of remorse one must show in order to pass some sort of holocaust guilt test, because ever since Israel gained independence it's kinda been the trend to make everybody on earth feel guilty for something that they didn't do.