View Full Version : Yahoo

Dolores
May 17th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Do you think there is much chance of Yahoo making a comeback against Google as the supreme search engine? They have really been adding a lot of features and, following Google's lead, purchasing blogging and other networking websites. In some ways the Web seems to be getting smaller, as these two search giants aquire more and more web tools like Flickr and Blogger.

Thoughts?

Clark Nova
May 17th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Flicker has the ability to become huge. There only image site with a good "related images" search is ffffound.com but thats closed registration (and why its such an AWESOME site).
I want a good image tagging search to come out

Dolores
May 17th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Yahoo has already absorbed Flickr, haven't they? Or am I thinking of MSN?

There really seems to be a huge battle of the web giants in terms of buying out as many social networking and other web services as possible. My prediction is that whoever manages the acquisition of Wikipedia will emerge triumphant as a web-information monopoly... and that thought kind of scares me.

Clark Nova
May 17th, 2009, 06:02 PM
Yahoo has already absorbed Flickr, haven't they? Or am I thinking of MSN?

There really seems to be a huge battle of the web giants in terms of buying out as many social networking and other web services as possible. My prediction is that whoever manages the acquisition of Wikipedia will emerge triumphant as a web-information monopoly... and that thought kind of scares me.
yes flicker is a yahoo site. and its HUGE amongst designers now. Approaching bigger then deviantart.

Pterodactyl Handler
May 17th, 2009, 06:06 PM
ever since they indexed flickr tags,

Yahoo Image Search > Google Image Search

by a scale of magnitude

Guess it shouldn't come as a surprise that user's tags are more useful for indexing than contextual metadata

more support that you've gotta rotate search enginges. Using google for everything is only showing you a certain slice of the web.

Clark Nova
May 17th, 2009, 06:08 PM
ever since they indexed flickr tags,

Yahoo Image Search > Google Image Search

by a scale of magnitude

Guess it shouldn't come as a surprise that user's tags are more useful for indexing than contextual metadata

more support that you've gotta rotate search enginges. Using google for everything is only showing you a certain slice of the web.
well thats the problem right there.
A picture speaks a thousand words. however google is blind and deaf to them. users have to tag them to make it know.

Pterodactyl Handler
May 17th, 2009, 06:18 PM
well thats the problem right there.
A picture speaks a thousand words. however google is blind and deaf to them. users have to tag them to make it know.

if only users could add tags to google...!

here's an idea, bear with me:

Wikigooglia: the search enginge anybody can edit

pretty much links every search query to, um, ultimately menzoberranzan

Tsar Phalanxia
May 17th, 2009, 06:44 PM
I don't know anyone in the UK who uses Yahoo. As far as I recall, 20% of the USA's internet users still use Yahoo, and they're basically the only ones left.

Pterodactyl Handler
May 17th, 2009, 06:52 PM
yahoo groups still gets a TON of webtraffic

Daruko
May 17th, 2009, 06:58 PM
If you get DSL service out here, they try to install all sorts of Yahoo crap on your machine. I'm sure it's probably the same in many parts of the US. They probably increasingly pull in more of their income from these partnerships with phone companies and stuff.

Clark Nova
May 17th, 2009, 07:01 PM
yahoo groups still gets a TON of webtraffic
Do you still use yahoo groups PH?
I still see them showing up a lot, they seem to have an undyingly loyal fanbase.

Pterodactyl Handler
May 17th, 2009, 07:14 PM
yeah actually. Still subscribed to a few groups that have been around since the 90s.

ahhh listservs... nostalgia