View Full Version : Designer Brains

Daruko
May 17th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Super interesting article. (http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20227083.700-will-designer-brains-divide-humanity.html?full=true&print=true)

The gist of it, is that we are currently and will progressively continue to boost the cognitive capabilities of the human brain through direct or noninvasive contact with our devices. Electronic "plug-ins", which can even consist of simple injections of microscopic devices, and the potential for bioengineering, genetic enhancement, and biosynthetic advancement to significantly impact the future of the human race continues to become a more focal issue in the scientific community. Soon, many researchers expect supercomputer (by today's standards) devices which could store and access memories and experiences to be small and increasingly noninvasive and widely available/affordable.

It seems to me that this technological evolution thing has already grown wildly beyond the influence of our political or social forces of control. Keep your eye on the Luddites, because they fight an absurdly frustrating uphill battle. Anti-technologist/technologist collision seems almost imminent. Science is progressing at a rate which far surpasses that of our socio-political systems of order or restraint. The world is happening of it's own accord, and as there is little to nothing we can do to prevent technological advancement (if we wanted to), the question occurs, what can we do? How can we capitalize on the benefits in a way that benefits more people, and safeguard ourselves from the various new forms of social injustice that may occur as a result of the growing divide?

What will we do when the gulf widens between people who have access to a technology that drastically augments their interfaces with the world and people who do not, or would not? What happens when the enhanced entities become so distinct and intellectually capable that they risk potential dominance of the "lesser intellects"?

Daruko
May 17th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Though, what does it benefit a greedy corporation to fight technology? Grabbing that new piece of technology is going to continue to be profitable.

I wonder how the remaining Luddite minority will cope, and what will become of them, as they will be fairly powerless to stop the rest of the world from moving forward.

Although I do meet A LOT of people who find genetic enhancement and cognitive augmentation very frightening possibilities. I suspect most of them will find the technology more appealing and less invasive as it surfaces, than the fearful images they concoct of it in their minds. Today's technology could be pretty frightening for someone to see from 1990, who jumped the gap between then and now.

Daruko
May 17th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Yes, but too many don't think that way. Think of oil companies, for instance. Do they want alternate fuel to spread?
Perhaps their financial ashes will pave the way for society's innovators.

sam the moderately wize
May 20th, 2009, 10:54 AM
I say bring on the future!

However, we need to be careful to distribute cognitive enhancements fairly, and perhaps put them under state control. Rich people being able to pay for more intellects while the poor become comparatively stupider and stupider seems highly worrying, not least because it's a giant leap toward Brave New World.

Nosferatu
May 20th, 2009, 10:49 PM
Though, what does it benefit a greedy corporation to fight technology? Grabbing that new piece of technology is going to continue to be profitable.

I wonder how the remaining Luddite minority will cope, and what will become of them, as they will be fairly powerless to stop the rest of the world from moving forward.

Although I do meet A LOT of people who find genetic enhancement and cognitive augmentation very frightening possibilities. I suspect most of them will find the technology more appealing and less invasive as it surfaces, than the fearful images they concoct of it in their minds. Today's technology could be pretty frightening for someone to see from 1990, who jumped the gap between then and now.

Technocracy will allow anything that can be reproduced as often as it makes wealth...