View Full Version : Twitter(talk about forum)

Dolores
May 19th, 2009, 08:33 PM
Was this too long for you guys to read and/or respond to? Because I feel like I brought up, and backed up, some points that are pretty hard to dispute about the subjective interpretation of "serious" and what a complete failure it is to have a sub called "serious" anything, and then, by moving their threads, penalize users for having a different definition of "serious".

I'd like to point out that I have colleagues who use Twitter as a marketing tool.

The problem I have with the "you know what's serious and what's not" answer is that no, as a matter of fact, serious can and does mean different things to different people.

You have no serious use for Twitter so you cannot conceive of why or how someone might discuss it as a "serious" topic. Meanwhile, on another web forum, there is a 12-page thread discussing the effectiveness of using Twitter as a business marketing and customer outreach tool. Is that not "serious" to you? Because it is to me. But then, I am a business owner and making use of marketing tools is crucial to my survival.

It sounds like you are defining the word "serious" to mean "controversial, extreme, or politically and socially divisive". In which case, I recommend renaming this forum "Controversial Discussion". Even that is subjective, though; what scale of controversy is controversial enough?

What's happening is that people are looking at the word "serious" and applying their own definitions to it. A user might want to have a "serious" (non-joking) discussion about engine repair, for instance, and post their thread here. Is that not "serious"? What about Daruko's post about his latest made-up illness? Surely illness is "serious", right? Surely it's not humorous.

Then mods are coming along and deciding that, according to whatever definition of "serious" they're using, some of these posts aren't serious enough, and they're getting moved, and the OP feels insulted. It's like a comedy of errors.

My best suggestion is, either rename the forum something more specific and less subjective, or mods should stop applying their own subjective definitions of "serious" and leave posts where they are unless the OP requests a move.

Maybe instead of "General" and "Serious", the subs should be:
*General
*Politics
*Sociology
*Science and technology

It would be pretty clear what goes where. No need for a "debate" sub, because debates would happen, or not, naturally.

rzm61
May 19th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Was this too long for you guys to read and/or respond to?

To be honest I just don't care enough to continue talking about twitter.

Because I feel like I brought up, and backed up, some points that are pretty hard to dispute about the subjective interpretation of "serious" and what a complete failure it is to have a sub called "serious" anything, and then, by moving their threads, penalize users for having a different definition of "serious".

Nobody is being penalized, and the thread has yet to be moved...So why is there a problem?

Dolores
May 19th, 2009, 09:42 PM
The post wasn't about Twitter. It was about the definition of "serious" and why it's a terrible name for the sub.

It was also about why it's not a good idea to try to enforce a highly subjective definition.

I really don't mind if you move this thread, I was just trying to engage some of the points you brought up regarding why you think I should "just know" what's "serious" and what's not. It would be polite if you would acknowledge my response, rather than just ignoring it, especially as I think I did a very good job of explaining my perspective.

rzm61
May 19th, 2009, 09:50 PM
I never ignored your post. I just had no response to it at the time.

And I believe I've already agreed with you that Serious Discussion is a poor title for this section. It should be changed to 'Debate' which that should eliminate some confusion about 'serious' threads an all.

Dr Goofy Mofo
May 19th, 2009, 10:09 PM
I agree with you as well that's why I had no response. If only Loki or Fallen wanted to do some work lol!

Dolores
May 19th, 2009, 10:39 PM
Thanks for acknowledging it.

I want to reiterate my sub name suggestions, because I personally think that "Debate" is not the best title, as there are likely to be a number of subjects that no one wants to debate, but many people want to discuss... scientific breakthroughs, for example. My suggestions are:

*General
*Politics
*Sociology
*Science and technology

I think that this kind of division is more likely to spur intelligent, intellectual conversation. In fact, I'm going to add one:

*Art, Music & Literature

Dr Goofy Mofo
May 19th, 2009, 10:43 PM
That would be good because we never had a place to dump our writings.

Dolores
May 19th, 2009, 10:51 PM
I've noticed with other forums, including the ones that I've run, that clear, specific category names seem to inspire people to come up with good subjects.

One of the boards I own has 45 subs, and stays pretty damn active. The subs all have pretty descriptive names, like "Whore to culture", "Drunk Tank" and "A Literate Idiot", so users know just what goes there, and their inventive minds come up with ways to fill them.

Tsar Phalanxia
May 19th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Add Theology as well, for religious discussion.

Oh, and group them all under Advanced Search, with a subtitle of for Debate.

Dr Goofy Mofo
May 19th, 2009, 11:00 PM
Mind If I split this and add them to moderation complaints?

We were having a good discussion in that thread me and formenter for a while. They may have been others but my memory is as good as swiss cheese.

A general category also leaves it up to interpretation where this will be pretty straight forward.

Edit: I think saying debate is not needed we can also add a current events.

rzm61
May 20th, 2009, 04:32 AM
Thanks for acknowledging it.

I want to reiterate my sub name suggestions, because I personally think that "Debate" is not the best title, as there are likely to be a number of subjects that no one wants to debate, but many people want to discuss... scientific breakthroughs, for example. My suggestions are:

*General
*Politics
*Sociology
*Science and technology

I think that this kind of division is more likely to spur intelligent, intellectual conversation. In fact, I'm going to add one:

*Art, Music & Literature

Right on, I can support this idea. Especially the Art, Music & Literature section.

Daruko
May 20th, 2009, 04:59 AM
and Philosophy

Dolores
May 20th, 2009, 06:45 AM
Mind If I split this and add them to moderation complaints?

We were having a good discussion in that thread me and formenter for a while. They may have been others but my memory is as good as swiss cheese.

A general category also leaves it up to interpretation where this will be pretty straight forward.

Edit: I think saying debate is not needed we can also add a current events.

Dooo eeet

Cain
May 20th, 2009, 12:10 PM
I totally agree with this. It solves a LOT of the problems of definition.

If you want, I'll try and come up with some suggestions later tonight. I would right now, but I'm writing a proposal thesis, and then going out for most of the afternoon (coffee by the river ftw)

Dolores
May 20th, 2009, 03:54 PM
and Philosophy

Seems like that's covered under lit.

Cain
May 21st, 2009, 11:35 AM
I would have divided it up this way:

Google Chat (for talk about Google and the CoG, obviously)
General Chat (fluff threads and things which don't seem to go anywhere else, go in here)
Books, Music & Media (discussion about various entertainments go here)
Creative Pursuits (Creative efforts by the members go here)
Current Events (if its happening, we want to know)
Politics & History (many small bloodsucking creatures and past events go here)
Philosophy
* Political and social
* Ethics
* Metaphysics
* Atheist vs Theist/Religious debate ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK
Science
Technology, Computing and Gadgets

Something like that.

Tsar Phalanxia
May 21st, 2009, 11:48 AM
Yeah, that looks good, although I would have merged Politics and Current Events and Books and Creative Pursuits, or had them as subfora.

Cain
May 21st, 2009, 11:58 AM
It could work, having Current Events as a subforum of Politics and History, and Creative Pursuits as a subforum of Arts, Books and Media. BTW, I've reposted material from this thread into http://www.thechurchofgoogle.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7398