View Full Version : Religion.

Will.
June 21st, 2009, 03:32 PM
Moral constitution taught with fear.
So people will abide by social customs and norms
Also, a very easy way to get a depressed person to blow themselves up.
Or rape and pillage another religious holy land.
OR, kill 100 million people.

tagnostic
June 21st, 2009, 03:44 PM
the use of the
unexplained
to prove
the unknowable
to the
unquestioning

Will.
June 21st, 2009, 03:53 PM
I don't get these Prophets either,
....I'm making a new motivational poster...

False Prophets

Because real ones cost too much.

A picture of Osama bin laden shall seal the deal.

tagnostic
June 21st, 2009, 04:01 PM
false profits

jim jones
sun yung moon
oral roberts
jerry falwell

the list is endless

Will.
June 21st, 2009, 04:05 PM
false profits

jim jones
sun yung moon
oral roberts
jerry falwell

the list is endless

I think Osama's false Gihad in the cold war is the biggest no no, so I'm not straying far from it.

tagnostic
June 21st, 2009, 04:12 PM
osama is a peniley challenged moron
all he managed to do was piss off a whole lot of people
and get a whole lot of his "followers" killed
not to mention the proximate cause of getting
anyone who shared his beliefs thrown out of power
if not dead,
he could use a few months in jihad rehab

Will.
June 21st, 2009, 04:16 PM
See, a good easy way to get 1000's of people to throw their lives away.

rmw
June 21st, 2009, 05:10 PM
Here's the thing with bin Laden--he's the 21st century version of Hitler. This is not a direct comparison, but he had the wherewithal and charisma to get people to buy into his ideas and ideology--namely, the US (and by extension, the West in general) is trying to eradicate Islam, and that only by holy war can the US be stopped (in a nutshell). He's playing on people's fears and insecurities, and twisting them for his desires. In doing so, he's gotten others to commit acts of terrorism in the name of religion. But, one has to wonder how much longer his success will continue since he's hiding somewhere in the mountains of Afghanistan or Pakistan (at best), or he's dead (at worst--in which case, his personal success has ended, but how long will his message carry on?).

Will.
June 21st, 2009, 05:23 PM
Here's the thing with bin Laden--he's the 21st century version of Hitler. This is not a direct comparison, but he had the wherewithal and charisma to get people to buy into his ideas and ideology--namely, the US (and by extension, the West in general) is trying to eradicate Islam, and that only by holy war can the US be stopped (in a nutshell). He's playing on people's fears and insecurities, and twisting them for his desires. In doing so, he's gotten others to commit acts of terrorism in the name of religion. But, one has to wonder how much longer his success will continue since he's hiding somewhere in the mountains of Afghanistan or Pakistan (at best), or he's dead (at worst--in which case, his personal success has ended, but how long will his message carry on?).

According to the Law of Fadawa until its over.

rmw
June 21st, 2009, 05:29 PM
According to the Law of Fadawa until its over.

So when is it over? When people on both sides get sick and tired of it and say "fuck it" and lay down their arms and ideological propaganda? (That's the optimist solution.) Or when when the "Great Satan" is finally defeated? (Which won't happen, at least not from a religious perspective. And besides, what happens when they don't have an enemy any more? Then what do you have to control the masss?)

Will.
June 21st, 2009, 05:34 PM
So when is it over? When people on both sides get sick and tired of it and say "fuck it" and lay down their arms and ideological propaganda? (That's the optimist solution.) Or when when the "Great Satan" is finally defeated? (Which won't happen, at least not from a religious perspective. And besides, what happens when they don't have an enemy any more? Then what do you have to control the masss?)

No, when the attacking side is soooo poor and gives up, because thats how the cold war ended, Don't think for a second that all of America is going to survive this. Hell no.

tagnostic
June 21st, 2009, 05:36 PM
No, when the attacking side is soooo poor and gives up, because thats how the cold war ended, Don't think for a second that all of America is going to survive this. Hell no.

America you can doubt
Americans you cannot
We will always be here

Will.
June 21st, 2009, 05:37 PM
America you can doubt
Americans you cannot
We will always be here

You will always be there, but the boarders are going to get smaller.

tagnostic
June 21st, 2009, 05:44 PM
tectonic plates
or
shrinking Canadiens?

Will.
June 21st, 2009, 05:49 PM
tectonic plates
or
shrinking Canadiens?

No, more of a America wont be able to afford to keep all of America?

Happened the last time a country tried to go after the middle east oil, and it might happen this time, only time will tell.

tagnostic
June 21st, 2009, 06:00 PM
The culture and drive to be free,
the innovative insanity that we worship
the fairness that we all strive for (not attain, strive for)
the identity of a like minded mosaic of of heritage's that share basic human values
the fact that we will fight for our beliefs, not against innocents but against other men who violently oppose us
the fact that we can respect our heritage and still hold allegiance to the Greater Hegemony that is Our Country
will always be there and because of this America will be there.

our government is not perfect,
neither are our people
but Our Collective Will to be Free
supercedes all
wrong paths will be taken,
but the Goal is always in sight

Will.
June 21st, 2009, 06:02 PM
The culture and drive to be free,
the innovative insanity that we worship
the fairness that we all strive for (not attain, strive for)
the identity of a like minded mosaic of of heritage's that share basic human values
the fact that we will fight for our beliefs, not against innocents but against other men who violently oppose us
the fact that we can respect our heritage and still hold allegiance to the Greater Hegemony that is Our Country
will always be there and because of this America will be there.

our government is not perfect,
neither are our people
but Our Collective Will to be Free
supercedes all
wrong paths will be taken,
but the Goal is always in sight

I'm not undermining this but History inevitably repeats itself. And by the look of the American exchange its doing so again.

tagnostic
June 21st, 2009, 06:04 PM
things change
go through cycles
but eventually
the collective will
will prevail

Will.
June 21st, 2009, 06:05 PM
things change
go through cycles
but eventually
the collective will
will prevail

for once could you say what you mean, not mean what you say?

tagnostic
June 21st, 2009, 06:07 PM
I'm not happy with our present Government
but I have complete faith in our will & capacity to change it
without violence

rmw
June 21st, 2009, 06:39 PM
Will., I do think the US will survive this jihad. Look at Israel--whether or not you condone what they're doing, they are surviving. And the US is a lot bigger; there are strength in numbers.

Do I think the US will continue to survive in its current form? No. There are a lot of social changes that need to be recognized and made, and only time will tell if we do that. Nor I do I think the US will be the singular world super-power. Economically speaking, China and India are gaining ground. If the EU can further evolve and manage to get its act together, I think it would also contend for super-power status. Even Russia, though probably not in the near-term, has the potential to regain its super-power status. I'm not even sure the US will maintain its status as a super-power, if we don't start confronting the drastic changes that need to be made to our healthcare system, immigration, economy, education...the list goes on.

But, the US will survive, in some way, shape or form. In the end, though we may be in a different position, we're not going down in flames. And any changes we do make will be from will be from social, political (both domestic and international) and economic forces--not because of the likes of Osama bin Laden and other lunatic terrorists.

Will.
June 21st, 2009, 08:03 PM
thats exactly what I'm getting at, its going to change you guys for a long time.

rmw
June 21st, 2009, 08:20 PM
thats exactly what I'm getting at, its going to change you guys for a long time.

I could be misunderstanding you, but you seem to be saying that it's the jihadists and the like that will dramatically change the US. We have had changes due to terrorism, but I'm thinking of longer, more lasting changes that will affect our position not only domestically, but globally as well--and these changes will come from a much larger scope than religion fundamentalism.

Will.
June 21st, 2009, 08:28 PM
I could be misunderstanding you, but you seem to be saying that it's the jihadists and the like that will dramatically change the US. We have had changes due to terrorism, but I'm thinking of longer, more lasting changes that will affect our position not only domestically, but globally as well--and these changes will come from a much larger scope than religion fundamentalism.

I'm saying that the U.S financial backpacking is going to catch up with them after cashing so many cheques that weren't written yet, metaphorically speaking, The World Market implemented three new sets of digits to withstand the U.S international debt. I've never heard of a Trillionare, have you?
So why in the hell did they spend all that money on a war in search of black goo?

tagnostic
June 23rd, 2009, 02:23 PM
religion
just when you think you've seen it all (http://mosnews.com/weird/2009/06/23/miraclestickers/)

djura
June 23rd, 2009, 02:35 PM
loool, has been done before, many times too :)