View Full Version : Google Voice

Dr Goofy Mofo
July 9th, 2009, 09:13 PM
So as Sickidus Mentioned a while back about grand station where they give you a number and you can hide behind it and use it for other things. Well I just got invited to it and it is like being a spy. My cell phone now has 2 numbers and I can call from it and edit stuff online. I even have a voicemail online with Dr Goofy Mofo. I decided to have my persona to have a phone number and me to have a phone.

In Short Google Voice = Awesome!

www.google.com/voice

Tsar Phalanxia
July 10th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Is it for Yankees only? And who are you gonna invite?

Dr Goofy Mofo
July 10th, 2009, 02:23 PM
I can't invite is the sad part, Google just invited me. It is only in the US according to the email I got from them.

http://www.google.com/voice/about

sudikics
July 10th, 2009, 05:23 PM
"Sickidus [sic]"
I'm used to it.

I just got an invite too (another account). I hope my dad gets one, as he's in the telecommunications business and he wants to show Voice off to his co-workers.

Google Voice numbers are available to resident sof the US only. Sorry Tsar.

Did I mention how awesome it is? Although it seems that Google only gives the new accounts 10 cents in international credit. I got a starting dollar on my older account. :D

Speaking of which, the international rates are super-low. I can call the UK or Sweden for 2 cents per minute. Cough cough.

tagnostic
July 10th, 2009, 05:40 PM
one of these days
i'll get a phone
as soon as I feel the need
to be annoyed/interupted
needlessly on a more
regular basis

Dr Goofy Mofo
July 10th, 2009, 10:46 PM
Yea but a 5 minute call to the UK kinda sucks. Might be low but time adds up quick.

Hey not fair Sickidus gets 2 numbers... he is more spy then I am!

Tsar Phalanxia
July 11th, 2009, 12:59 AM
Google Voice numbers are available to resident sof the US only. Sorry Tsar.

:(

Speaking of which, the international rates are super-low. I can call the UK or Sweden for 2 cents per minute. Cough cough.

Ching ching.

sailor
July 13th, 2009, 12:39 AM
this seems awesome. everytime i turn around i have to turn in a new phone number for one site or another, so am hoping that this will make that easier.

i have access to 4 real life phone numbers, but 2 are not my own. my sidekick II is now online at recycler & craigslist for $60 obo. i got a call on it today, so maybe it will be gone by tomorrow. then i won't be able to lurk or log in from on the road. damn. i looked into getting a new cell, but it was kind of a hassle for the plan, so i got a prepaid acct. which all my phones are now on. i prefer prepaid, but if i get a g1 i'll probably get flexpay plan. i hate plans though. any thoughts about where to get a new phone? has anyone tried buying online, used, ebay, or other?

UPDATE - ha, yay! just sold my little sidekick II off the recycler.com ad for $50 cash. I put my ad up on friday in both craiglist & recycler...free ads with one picture. seriously you don't need to pay for the extra bold headline or more photos. just one good picture and a nice ad. find out the relative price of the item by going to your item on ebay and see how much it is selling for. if it's not on ebay, then google it until it comes up used online for sale. if not that, then find out the new price, and figure it'll sell a lot less used. use your intuition for a price. always add about $10 more for the thing and then if you put OBO instead of firm they will talk you down around 10 less than the add says. but the thing is, i always always always sell the thing!!!!

usually it sells by online before the ad goes into the paper. just in case, i put it both in the online & the paper recycler.com ad. it's hard sometimes to know what to say...guess what? Google the item and you'll find all kinds of ad specs for it new, with the price, plus i add the search term "ebay" and it will come up with an add pre-made for you by other sellers. then, i take the key words and hone it down to 150 words for the online ad and 25 words for the print ad. if within 3 or 4 days it doesn't sell, then either the pic is no good, you haven't checked your inbox/voicemail for the callers who left messages about it, they went to a spam folder...or, you have placed it at too high a price for the thing, maybe it's a hard item to sell, or it is bad condition and needs to be given away (try the free section for garage sale items, or take it to the thrift store so it's outta your house & mind and move on to more sellable items.)

If it still hasn't sold by the end of the week, then, put it up for less money. believe me, it will sell and you don't ever have to worry about shipping and handling. they always pay cash & just walk out of the house with the item. sometimes they ask you for a bag or a receipt for the sale. that is just give it to them in a plastic grocery baggie, and a computer printed piece of paper with your name/address, their name and the date, amount sold for, and what it was. this covers their & your butt. sometimes they might call you for other info after the sale is done and they have left. you can either help them out with the thing that they want or say f-it and don't care & blow them off.

you aren't under any obligation to help them out once the sale is done. poof you are free of the thing. i always give a very thorough demo of my item, and therefore usually know alot about it, because i've used it alot, but it's still in great condition with no scratches or odd things about it that would be a cause for a question. this is the best way to sell something when it is used but still in good enough condition so that someone can resell it or use it for a while. that way you are an honest reseller and not trying to hood-wink anyone into buying a piece of junk.

it always works for me, and even though i am not per se "making money" on the sale, i am feeling good about letting go of my good object and basically giving someone a decent price on a thing that i want to be rid of. plus, you get extra cash that you didn't have before. if you go through you and your neighbor's, friend's, family's garage, storage and old stuff areas...you will find many decent, repairable things to fix up nicely and resell or give away online or in the paper. do it because it feels good to give/sell your usable thing to the poor or homeless (see "free box" idea in my other posts) or to the local good will store. or to someone less fortunate where you make a little cash and they get the thing for cheap. or someone looking for a good deal, like me! i love it!

sold my phone just now, have 50 to put in the bank, happy customer...on to my next items... home gym equipment! Here is a copy of my ad with the photo so you can get a better idea of how to sell stuff online. you can also use ebay. if you want to deal with the bidding thing, buy it now, feedback, plus you have to pack it and ship it to them, and it might cost money to place the ad. recycler & craigslist are both free, cash & carry sites, that is why i use them, but recycler is my baby and not that many people know that it is Awesome. I have used half.com to sell some old new age books. every one of the used books that i put online sold in a matter of a month.

T-Mobile Sidekick II 16mb w/ carry case, adaptor, IM, text, tones, keypad, speaker, email, web, address book & caller ID. , $60 xxx-xxx-xxxx Pictures

http://www.recycler.com/upload/2a01bc57-1b11-4a0c-99ca-f715f7e110bb.jpg make sure you resize your pic and make it purty in a digital editing program like PS.
this photo is resized to a width of 500 pixels. i like using my real item picture, even if it's kinda bad looking, because it's the real deal thing, and not a commercial image of what it looked like new instead. this way you are being honest and that is the best policy usually, as in most things... :D

**don't forget to log back in to your recycler.com account and cancel the ad after the thing has sold, you got your cash, they got the item and you are all finished with the sale. if they give you a check, then make sure you have cashed the check first at the bank and the money is yours & available to use before you cancel the ad. seems obvious, but this is because you don't want any more calls on the sold item messing up the voicemail, and you can be free to focus on the new things you have up still for sale!

<< good luck and happy sales. >>

Dr Goofy Mofo
July 13th, 2009, 05:58 AM
Alot of people are adding there own google voice message to there circle/family and friends so the call the number then reroute to someone else... saves a crap ton on mins