September 8th, 2009, 06:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLeW_Y8Sej8

my new favorite old video

tagnostic
September 8th, 2009, 06:47 PM
love that one
right after that
Ringo and Harry
did their version (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqZHsVBRa1Q&feature=related)
couldn't find it in toto
but heres the first of eight

Sister Faith
September 8th, 2009, 07:07 PM
If that isn't a statement of our current times, I don't know what is. Truly, the more things change, the more they stay the same. :icon_evil:

That was a pretty graphic message for it's time. And it struck me that the parents were depicted as mixed race. I wonder what the public's reaction was to that when it came out in 1969? I googled Morton Goldsholl (http://www.encyclopedia.chicagohistory.org/pages/539.html) but haven't found anything that says he suffered any kind of backlash from it.

fomenter
September 8th, 2009, 07:28 PM
very "now" for a old movie i was stunned the whole way through,

the drugging the kid :fear: wow.... "Ritalin" was still new then its almost prophetic

i like the think for yourself message a lot, it has some good parallels with googlism

Sister Faith
September 8th, 2009, 07:46 PM
the drugging the kid :fear: wow.... "Ritalin" was still new then its almost prophetic

Not almost, it was totally 'right-on-the-button' prophetic.

i like the think for yourself message a lot, it has some good parallels with googlism

Me too. That's why I got curious about who produced it. I recognized the narrators voice from alot of 'educational' :icon_rolleyes: films we were shown in school but I had never seen or heard of that one. Why????
Was it suppressed by the religious right who view free thinking as it's mortal enemy ('cos it is!) or by racist bigots who didn't like the parents being different races? :icon_evil:

As I said, that was a pretty radical message for it's time, even without the graphic pics in it. I can't believe that it went uncontested.:shrug:

fomenter
September 8th, 2009, 08:28 PM
69 was pretty deep into the civil rights movement (the dedication on the vid was to marten Luther king)
it wasn't that radical compared to every thing else going on, but i bet it still wasn't shown in the bible belt

tagnostic
September 9th, 2009, 07:06 AM
semi-off topic

we got a new special res this week
(barb,{1913 and counting} loves chocolate after dinner)
when I delivered a special for her
I saw some pix on the wall
MLK with her (departed) husband
he was in charge of the Sec detai in
Indiana just prior too the assanation.

Will.
September 9th, 2009, 09:06 PM
YOU MEAN UP ISN'T DOWN?!

tagnostic
September 10th, 2009, 08:00 AM
its just
to the left
of right

Sister Faith
September 15th, 2009, 05:10 PM
69 was pretty deep into the civil rights movement
it wasn't that radical compared to every thing else going on, but i bet it still wasn't shown in the bible belt

True. :(

I probably found it so radical because it was the first time I'd seen anything like it. Alot of what was happening back then was filtered out of the news that the Canadian public was getting (can't make our sister country look bad :icon_rolleyes:). For instance, we were fed all the same propagandist bull crap about the Vietnam war that the Americans were getting.

And nothing's changed. Iraq? :icon_evil::icon_evil:

fomenter
September 15th, 2009, 05:19 PM
i don't remember it being shown in Canada either,
it seems radical to me compared to the conformity they are pushing now
i would love to be able to spread this video and see it go viral...

Sister Faith
September 15th, 2009, 05:26 PM
I guess there would be a problem with copyright issues if we were to use it or parts of it in a CoG promo? Bummer :(

fomenter
September 15th, 2009, 05:45 PM
?? it is pretty old so its creators might not care at all and if you used only parts it might qualify under fair use http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use)
look at the law and see if you think it qualifies ...

Sister Faith
September 15th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Looks pretty complicated. :icon_evil:
At first blush I'd say using it in a CoG promo fits all the criteria for fair use and the age of the piece helps.

For works produced between January 1, 1923 and March 1, 1989, copyright notice is required; however, registration was not required.

What bothers me is whether M. Goldsholl issued a copyright notice. If he did, (and I can't see why he wouldn't have, being a leader in the ad biz) then there could be a problem. Even if he didn't issue one, his heirs could take exception. Who posted this to Youtube and did they get any flack?

In any case, I think we'd better tread very lightly here. I'm not sure Method-X would appreciate getting dragged into court over a fair use issue, even if they didn't have a leg to stand on.

Edit: There's nothing stopping us from stealing the idea though. The 'think for yourself' message imho is what the CoG is all about and should be the focus of any promo we do.

fomenter
September 15th, 2009, 06:43 PM
at the end of the movie (copyright symbol) mcmlxix goldsholl and associates

you could try asking for permission to use it, i suspect the atheist vibe that the cog still gives off might make them say no (if it were me i would be hesitant)

or the best way might be to watch it a few times and restate the message in your own words create an original work inspired by it..

Sister Faith
September 15th, 2009, 06:52 PM
or the best way might be to watch it a few times and restate the message in your own words create an original work inspired by it..

Exactly what I meant about stealing the idea/message. Just wrap it around everything CoG. :icon_cool:

fomenter
September 15th, 2009, 06:56 PM
no copyright problem there, new words, images, story = OK

the message isn't owned...