View Full Version : Felines From another Forum

tagnostic
November 7th, 2009, 06:50 PM
here's the topic
and thread so far,
here is the original link (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/29/science/29angi.html?_r=1&hpw)
posted as a postulated fact
this is a link to the original forum (http://www.atheistnexus.org/group/atheistailurophiles/forum/topics/lock-up-the-cat)

I've invited 'Don'
to discuss it here
so as not disturb
the tranquility over there.

usual rules
no ad hominems
wiki is not citation
speculation is just that

edit: in the interests of fairness
this does give me a "home field"
advantage,
I have offered to meet him on a
forum/thread of his choosing

but should he not wish to bring it
to his other places,

would there be a chance that the
discordians loan us a neutral/unreg
thread where he might not be
intimidated?
(i really want to play with this one, just not where he's at)

please remember he was invited here
by me, and give him his right to his opinion
(which does not of course mean he's immune to factual critique)
and needless to say, if you disagree with me, I'm still a butthead
but Fingus will back me up

rmw
November 7th, 2009, 07:33 PM
An interesting article. I'd have to say that (as a catowner) I do agree w/ it, for the most part. I don't have the major studies that have been carried out, examining the outdoor cat population vs. the bird population, but I do have anecdotal evidence. My first cat, Kitty (yeah, oh so creative name, but I got him when I was a year old), was one of the most prodigious hunters I've come across (and he was front declawed too). Every morning, for 15 years, we'd have a dead mouse or the occasional dead bird in the driveway (he was generous that way). He certainly took a toll on our house's wildlife population (it wasn't just the mice, or the birds, but garter snakes and baby rabbits as well). Looking at what one cat can do, I do see what the studies suggest about cats and birds.

However, my three cats are indoor cats for another reason (sorry, but in the long run, I really don't care all that much about the local sparrow population, seeing as how they're not an endangered species). That has to do w/ the fact that outdoor cats generally have a shorter life-span than indoor cats. (I'd think Kitty is an exception, as well as Tag's Fingus--I've had other, younger cats end up as fox food.) Given the fact that in my neighborhood has plenty of local carnivores roaming around, as well as a major thoroughfare right in front of my apartment complex, they're indoor cats. But, I got them all as kittens, which makes it easier to curb any sort of wanderlust they might have. It's much more difficult if it's an adult cat who's used to being outside and it's almost impossible to do if the cat came to you as a stray.

rmw
November 7th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Just thought of something: there have been questions asked why it is acceptable for cats to roam, but not dogs? Well, face it, have you ever heard of feral cats hunting down a person?

tagnostic
November 7th, 2009, 07:51 PM
rofl,
never heard of an NFL player
organising cat fights either,
(unless mudwrestling counts)

{trying to be polite on the other forum}
[waiting patiently...........:shrug:]

fomenter
November 7th, 2009, 08:52 PM
feral cats are OK in rural parts of the country where they serve a purpose (keeping mice and rat populations in check) and they have a natural enemy to keep there populations down (farm boys with 22's(and coyote's))..
in and around city's (where animal lovers and city ordinance prevent controlling populations) and pet cats adding to the problem song birds are getting wiped out...

feral dogs are a obvious danger spreading rabies and attacking humans