View Full Version : The Purpose of a Forum

sudikics
December 4th, 2009, 02:34 AM
The Church of Google main site exists as the front to a satirical idea, that if you apply religious views to the world around us, you can reach the conclusion that Google is the closest thing to a deity which we can verify to exist. It is and always has been satire.

Websites have forums to provide discussion areas for people who work under the same banner. For example, the forum members of xkcd forums are in general readers and fans of the comic. Here, the idea is that the Church of Google forum allows people who proudly carry the banner of promoting the Googlism argument to discuss issues both related and not related to the CoG.

However, is this truly a uniting force? I think we can all agree that this forum hasn't had stable activity for a while now. After all, while Googlism is a humorous concept, the truth is that it is in the end simply a satirical argument against religion. I suggest that perhaps it is not best to focus on the forum aspect of the argument, and instead focus on the neglected main site, where the argument is explained and presented to the world.

What niche does this forum fill? Niches for intellectual secular discussion, parody religion, serious atheist discussion, etc. have already been carved out all over the web. If you were to present Googlism to a evangelist in an argument, you would not seriously attempt a conversion, but bring it up as a humorous counter-point to the wonders of their deity of choice.

Therefore, I propose the following. Send out a request to those who are interested in maintaining or building up the main site with FAQs, media, design, etc. Once you have gathered a small group of contributors, establish a method of communication (perhaps a private Google group or Wave) and disband the forum. Take down the forum links from the main website, set up an idea submissions e-mail account for the site, and start making the main site better than ever.

Thoughts?

scikidus

Clark Nova
December 4th, 2009, 03:12 AM
It failed.

Will.
December 4th, 2009, 05:33 AM
The Church of Google main site exists as the front to a satirical idea, that if you apply religious views to the world around us, you can reach the conclusion that Google is the closest thing to a deity which we can verify to exist. It is and always has been satire.

Websites have forums to provide discussion areas for people who work under the same banner. For example, the forum members of xkcd forums are in general readers and fans of the comic. Here, the idea is that the Church of Google forum allows people who proudly carry the banner of promoting the Googlism argument to discuss issues both related and not related to the CoG.

However, is this truly a uniting force? I think we can all agree that this forum hasn't had stable activity for a while now. After all, while Googlism is a humorous concept, the truth is that it is in the end simply a satirical argument against religion. I suggest that perhaps it is not best to focus on the forum aspect of the argument, and instead focus on the neglected main site, where the argument is explained and presented to the world.

What niche does this forum fill? Niches for intellectual secular discussion, parody religion, serious atheist discussion, etc. have already been carved out all over the web. If you were to present Googlism to a evangelist in an argument, you would not seriously attempt a conversion, but bring it up as a humorous counter-point to the wonders of their deity of choice.

Therefore, I propose the following. Send out a request to those who are interested in maintaining or building up the main site with FAQs, media, design, etc. Once you have gathered a small group of contributors, establish a method of communication (perhaps a private Google group or Wave) and disband the forum. Take down the forum links from the main website, set up an idea submissions e-mail account for the site, and start making the main site better than ever.

Thoughts?

scikidus

You know what, I'm tired of just being, that is an Idea.

Daruko
December 4th, 2009, 01:47 PM
You know what, I'm tired of just being, that is an Idea.
GTFO... wait. Yeah, you stay.

MagixMoonwalker
December 4th, 2009, 03:02 PM
You know what's crazy? A web search engine being a god. o - o

Daruko
December 4th, 2009, 03:13 PM
You know what's crazy? A web search engine being a god. o - o
You know what's crazier? Your mom. She made my nuts bleed for about a week.

Will.
December 4th, 2009, 05:27 PM
GTFO... wait. Yeah, you stay.

As snarky and maniacal as that sounded, I will.

Tofu
December 6th, 2009, 02:01 AM
Agreed. I think Matt Wilson is looking for work. An animated Googlism propaganda video, perhaps?

Come on, Bonus Stage was awesome. Anyway, I agree that this site is more than a forum, and must be expanded.

sudikics
December 6th, 2009, 03:01 AM
I'm gonna add a poll if that's alright with everyone.

Loki
December 7th, 2009, 04:14 PM
You know what's crazier? Your mom. She made my nuts bleed for about a week.

Calm down, bozo. You've not been accepted back into PD yet :icon_lol:

Rimmer
December 8th, 2009, 05:09 AM
Shut it down, revive the main site, then some time in the future when interest in the site has increased it can be reopened for a fresh start. Preferrably without any mass invites from PD or any other community.

rzm61
December 8th, 2009, 05:31 AM
Fuck the naysayers. The CoG will live.

Rimmer
December 9th, 2009, 12:35 AM
^Yeah, cause mass posting of shockers is such a help.

Clark Nova
December 9th, 2009, 12:39 AM
Fuck the naysayers. The CoG will live.
Doubtful

rzm61
December 9th, 2009, 04:50 AM
rzm's optimism astounds me.

And you are?

Doubtful

Right.
You're only looking at it in one way. So you can keep thinking it's dead. I know it's not. :fap:

Clark Nova
December 9th, 2009, 11:56 AM
And you are?

Right.
You're only looking at it in one way. So you can keep thinking it's dead. I know it's not. :fap:

i'm going off a lot of multivariate data. For instance the lack of any interesting posting.
The lack of posters.
The spambots.
The general atmosphere.
And its future prospects which include doing this forever

Daruko
December 9th, 2009, 03:59 PM
You forgot to mention how long all that's been going on now already, the likelihood that Loki will ever step down, and the fact that ppl will never stop trolling the fuck out this place, as long as the same couple of idiots keep trying to run it. Well, you touched on that last one. :icon_mrgreen:

Daruko
December 9th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Calm down, bozo. You've not been accepted back into PD yet
Sure I have.

It is beyond ironic how convinced you were before that the us vs. them paradigm was no good, but now you cling to it like a religious zealot. I also find it hilarious that you've probably got a story for every individual at PD and on this board that disagrees with you, just so that you can continue to believe we're all crazy and you're the poor victim, rather than seeing your actions for what they are. You're incapable of learning otherwise. This board will never change. This is the fail that never ends.
:icon_lol:

Kiz Redweek
December 10th, 2009, 01:21 PM
I mean, I love this forum, it's the only one I really keep up with, but if you should see fit to destroy it, by all means, I have nothing against it.

I just hope I can find another one. XD

Clark Nova
December 10th, 2009, 04:22 PM
I mean, I love this forum, it's the only one I really keep up with, but if you should see fit to destroy it, by all means, I have nothing against it.

I just hope I can find another one. XD

thechurchofgoogle.net

Sister Faith
December 11th, 2009, 04:59 AM
thechurchofgoogle.net

It's a poor substitute and a blatant rip-off of the TRUE Church of Google.

Oh, and did I mention it's also an EPIC FAILURE :icon_lol:

Even at it's worst, the CoG has more activity, more members, better content and will NEVER pass the collection plate. :icon_cool:

Clark Nova
December 11th, 2009, 12:06 PM
It's a poor substitute and a blatant rip-off of the TRUE Church of Google.

Oh, and did I mention it's also an EPIC FAILURE :icon_lol:

Even at it's worst, the CoG has more activity, more members, better content and will NEVER pass the collection plate. :icon_cool:
I know thats why i posted it, anyone posting here doesn't deserve a better forum.
And at its worst this site has NO content so thats not really comparable.
This site failed. Its over and thats all there is to it.

Kiz Redweek
December 11th, 2009, 01:00 PM
I feel like I just NEED to check that other one out now. XD

It's like...screaming at me right now.

Daruko
December 11th, 2009, 02:18 PM
I feel like I just NEED to check that other one out now. XD

It's like...screaming at me right now.
It has a better future. The admin isn't fucktarded.

Kiz Redweek
December 14th, 2009, 12:57 PM
XD

I'm not even sure who the admin of this forum is. OoO

Clark Nova
December 14th, 2009, 01:47 PM
XD

I'm not even sure who the admin of this forum is. OoO

same, I wouldn't actually suggest going there.
try principiadiscordia.com instead

Kiz Redweek
December 15th, 2009, 12:56 PM
What's that one all aboot?

Clark Nova
December 15th, 2009, 02:04 PM
What's that one all aboot?
take a look and see.

rzm61
December 15th, 2009, 11:54 PM
thechurchofgoogle.net

:icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

a.k.a. PD 2.0
What a load of shit.

Clark Nova
December 16th, 2009, 10:02 PM
:icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

a.k.a. PD 2.0
What a load of shit.
Pd2.0
heh, this site is more pd2.0 then it is. Most of this sites members are from PD

rzm61
December 17th, 2009, 12:46 AM
Same with churchofgoogle(dot)net kiddo.

Clark Nova
December 17th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Same with churchofgoogle(dot)net kiddo.

No, COG.net has NO active members. This site has more of them but it looks like we have found somewhere more interesting so see you again sometime.

rzm61
December 18th, 2009, 01:13 AM
Oh, well imagine that.

Don't let the door hit you on your way out.

Kiz Redweek
December 18th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Wow, the 'There's still hope for the forum!' option is actually winning the vote. >.>

Gees.

rzm61
December 18th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Of course.

OfficerFriendly
December 20th, 2009, 02:56 AM
The purpose of a good forum are for the amusement for people to disengage their reality and leave their cares behind. :shrug:

tagnostic
December 20th, 2009, 07:00 AM
and have fun,
the people that
don't get the fun
part are called trolls

Loki
December 24th, 2009, 07:39 PM
A laugh. That's all it should be.

I wonder if that can be made into a racist comment LOL

tagnostic
December 25th, 2009, 04:26 PM