View Full Version : Anyone know how to vpn or proxy tunnel past a firewall?

fosley
February 6th, 2010, 07:31 PM
Hey guys. Stuck in a motel with a crappy firewall that's blocking World of Warcraft and Everquest 2 from getting through to their respective servers, and the damned tech support isn't open except when I'm at work.

I'm pretty sure it's the UDP ports being blocked, but I'm not sure how to do a ping over UDP to test that theory. Anyhow, I'm pretty sure I can use VPN or a proxy site to bypass the firewall, but I'm not sure how.

Now, I don't trust any of these free servers not to steal my passwords 'n' shit, so I'm thinking it would be best to tunnel through to my home computer in Tucson, then use its internet connection to talk to the game servers, but I'm not sure how much latency that's going to add to the hops. I don't need to do any hardcore pvp or raiding though, I just wanna have a way to kill some time.

And what's "Your search - aglajgijgija - did not match any documents." about? Is that just somebody renaming the high-level forum group to something weird, or is my browser jacked up?

rzm61
February 6th, 2010, 08:27 PM
And what's "Your search - aglajgijgija - did not match any documents." about? Is that just somebody renaming the high-level forum group to something weird, or is my browser jacked up?

Nah, the formatting is different because fomenter became admin and changed a few things around.

Sorry I can't help you on the VPN an all. Try checking with the goddess?

fosley
February 6th, 2010, 08:36 PM
Yeah, I've been praying, but most of what I get is either the theory behind it, or sites I don't really trust. I found one that might work, but it doesn't explain how to turn my home computer into a proxy; instead, it wants me to use one of their proxies, which means I'm passing all my sensitive info across their keyloggers.

rzm61
February 6th, 2010, 10:09 PM
Hmm....wish I was more familiar with VPNs.

Razloga
February 8th, 2010, 07:00 PM
I was at a hotel once, they too tried to block a few services.. But they also forgot to change the router credentials.. So defaults work :D

Idiots.. After my stay, I blocked everything, renamed the network and changed the password just cause I could...

rzm61
February 8th, 2010, 08:11 PM
:D

That probably drove them nuts.

tagnostic
February 9th, 2010, 02:44 AM
defaults are great
getting even is better

Razloga
February 9th, 2010, 03:08 AM
Yarp.. I went to a restaurant last week and same thing there..

I couldn't get online for some reason, so I checked and yup, defaults worked.. So I restarted their router and it worked..

I left it alone- for future deeds.. :icon_eviltwisted:

tagnostic
February 9th, 2010, 03:21 AM
not that I would know
but have you ever
played black fax?

Razloga
February 9th, 2010, 03:39 AM
never heard of it.. Explain?..

tagnostic
February 9th, 2010, 03:58 AM
if you take to pieces
of black construction paper
tape them together
insert them in a fax machine
then tape again to form a loop
and send it
it won't send a header,
because its black on black
and it will continue sending
until all the toner or paper
is use on the recieving end
and if its thermal it can literally
burn up, given time, so one would
send one after hours and let it run
all night, (not that I would know)

Razloga
February 10th, 2010, 01:43 AM
Hahahaha.. Nice..

But I don't know where I can find a fax for the life of me..

Need to find something I can do with admin privileges of a router...

tagnostic
February 10th, 2010, 07:25 AM
i'm still learning
to use the mouse
in video games
and when it comes
to firewalls,
i rely on my
+3 asbestos
cloak of insanity

OfficerFriendly
February 10th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Great read! :bow:

fosley
February 11th, 2010, 01:47 AM
I have three fax machines at work. Unfortunately, they're all broken, but it would be kinda funny to set all three of them in some kind of loop to each other (don't think they have the ability to send and receive on separate lines though, so probably wouldn't work anyways).

I finally was able to find a number to tech support that actually works, so maybe I'll have my games running here in a little bit.

Edit: And I finally got through to tech support, who also is responsible for the in-room phone that she can barely hear me on, and she says, "games are not allowed on the network because they eat up bandwidth". I said, "YouTube isn't blocked, and that eats up way more bandwidth than my games," to which she said video-streaming sites aren't allowed on the network either.

I'm pretty sure I can eat up way more bandwidth surfing Fox News or similar than I do playing Everquest 2 (it often runs at < 1 kbps). World of Warcraft seems to be a bit more network intensive, but it should still run on dial-up speeds, and my connection here is running like 500 kbps down and 1.5 mbps up.

tagnostic
February 11th, 2010, 06:51 AM
damn, i had work around
links and patches for all
that crap, and forgot to
burn some of the bookmarks
in the last round of OS roulette
I'll try to find them in the note pile