View Full Version : what is the best way to gain the attention of the media

shadow101
October 12th, 2006, 03:13 AM
post a reply to share your views

Idem
October 12th, 2006, 03:20 AM
Why do we want attemtion from the media anyway?

EDIT

Oh, wait. I recall being drawn here by a form of advertising anyway.

MeTHoD-X
October 12th, 2006, 03:29 AM
Very good question shadow... I've been thinking about this one since I first launched the site. I think one very good way is to email a lot of online news sites letting the editors know about the Church. Its time consuming, but it works.

Fallen Hero
October 12th, 2006, 09:11 AM
Also, getting lots of new members would also help.

GeoffBoulton
October 12th, 2006, 09:15 AM
The only note of caution I would add to 'advertising' is that you can never be sure who's reading the 'adverts'.

Yes, we could gain valuable and knowledgeable contributors. But we could also draw fire from some self-righteous idiot with more money than sense of humour who is just itching to spend that money to invoke some pre-historic heresy legislation!

I don't want to pour cold water on anything, just be aware of the possibility. ;)

shadow101
October 12th, 2006, 11:16 AM
Word of mouth is a some what slow way of spreading the word of the church and a effective way to attract new members. If we were to use a series of questioning statements linked to the church but not in an obvious manner so as to play on people's inquisitive nature. we could attract a lot of attention to the church witch could attract a lot of criticism but also new members. any suggestions on possible slogans or statements.
These slogans or statements would have to be posted to media of all descriptions if it was to attain full attention as desired.

GeoffBoulton
October 12th, 2006, 11:34 AM
I like the idea of questioning statements and relying on people's curiosity rather than blatant plugs for the site. It does rather appeal to me and seems to be the perfect way of attracting people who like a good debate, whichever side of the argument they're on.

Do we have a logo AaronD?

Fallen Hero
October 12th, 2006, 11:57 AM
I think that works. Perhaps we could get some flash clip to show them.

g00gleisan00b2
October 12th, 2006, 05:05 PM
i know! you coould actually become sensible and relize that thinking of google as some form of god (or close matter thereof) is a pile of dog shit,then take your story to the new york times.

GeoffBoulton
October 12th, 2006, 05:59 PM
i know! you coould actually become sensible and relize that thinking of google as some form of god (or close matter thereof) is a pile of dog shit,then take your story to the new york times.

Yawn!

Now come on g00gleisan00b2, behave or I wont help you with your homework again.

Can you imagine someone typing Genesis by hand and not knowing he could just use Google to find an online bible and copy and paste from there? ;)

Jillamanda
October 12th, 2006, 08:28 PM
Actually, it's funny you should say that. One of our first 'flamers', for want of a better word, didn't know that either. He even asked for a link to THIS site so he could complain about it. :D Oh, and he worked for an organisation that was funded by the UN and his job was to find sites such as this and close them down.....yeah, yeah, yeah.....

Jillamanda
October 12th, 2006, 08:35 PM
...and I don't think we need to bother about advertising at this stage. Word seems to be spreading and we're getting loads of quality posters.

I know we're getting a few flamers too, but they're few and far between, and it is the internet, after all. It'd be odd if we didn't get them. Overall though, we're attracting intelligent, thinking people and we can't ask for more than that. We're off to a great start, I think.

GeoffBoulton
October 12th, 2006, 08:46 PM
He even asked for a link to THIS site so he could complain about it.

Funniest thing I've heard for ages, thanks Jill ;)

acachinero
October 12th, 2006, 08:48 PM
Here's a shot in the dark, but how about trying to get official religion status from the IRS? Whoever the founder is really needs to go in a business suit to the IRS and play it out fairly, something like you're really worshipping human knowledge, you have a lot of followers, etc. etc.

If scientology can get official religion status from the IRS, so can CoG.

And if it can't in the States, I'll try here in Spain.

AaronD
October 12th, 2006, 10:35 PM
I like the idea of questioning statements and relying on people's curiosity rather than blatant plugs for the site. It does rather appeal to me and seems to be the perfect way of attracting people who like a good debate, whichever side of the argument they're on.

Do we have a logo AaronD?

You certainly have a logo creator now. I love being done with my homework. I will make the ad buttons that I originally agreed to, and anything else specified for me to make.

MeTHoD-X
October 12th, 2006, 10:47 PM
Here's a shot in the dark, but how about trying to get official religion status from the IRS? Whoever the founder is really needs to go in a business suit to the IRS and play it out fairly, something like you're really worshipping human knowledge, you have a lot of followers, etc. etc.

I'm Googling this right now. I quickly looked this up about a month ago as well, but didn't find too much on how a religion actually becomes a "official" . One of our main goals as a church/religion, has always been to gain tax exemption status. If I can do that, we'll make the 6 o'clock news, guaranteed. We may need to drop some of the more obvious jokes on the site though, like referring to Microsoft as Satan, as they could claim we are only satirical.

If "Jedi" is now a religion in the UK... We can get sanctioned as a religion without question.

GeoffBoulton
October 12th, 2006, 11:02 PM
I don't think Jedi is an official religion. I checked this out earlier today and while they include it on the UK census they also say that doing so does not mean it is officially sanctioned as a religion.

Googler
October 12th, 2006, 11:40 PM

I'm Googling this right now. I quickly looked this up about a month ago as well, but didn't find too much on how a religion actually becomes a "official" . One of our main goals as a church/religion, has always been to gain tax exemption status. If I can do that, we'll make the 6 o'clock news, guaranteed. We may need to drop some of the more obvious jokes on the site though, like referring to Microsoft as Satan, as they could claim we are only satirical.

If "Jedi" is now a religion in the UK... We can get sanctioned as a religion without question.

The news channels and Google news sites would definately feature the story.

g00gleisan00b2
October 13th, 2006, 12:37 AM
geoff, i thank you for the online bible suggestion but it was like 10:30 at night :( (i also found out that we were only suppost to list the references :( ) btw, if this actually gets a real religion status, ill bomb all your churches.

Idem
October 13th, 2006, 01:14 AM
geoff, i thank you for the online bible suggestion but it was like 10:30 at night :( (i also found out that we were only suppost to list the references :( ) btw, if this actually gets a real religion status, ill bomb all your churches.
Idiots like yuo=all the more reason to gain "real religion status" as you so eloquently put it.

Fallen Hero
October 13th, 2006, 09:21 AM

Wow, only twelve and threatening racist terrorism... cute ain't he?

If we get real religion status, just fucking awesome. But Matt, make it a little easier on yourself, try Canada first (I think it would be more effective if the US was first, but Ottawa is closer than Washington).

GeoffBoulton
October 13th, 2006, 11:55 AM
ill bomb all your churches.

It's good to see that religious tolerance is still alive and well ;)

P.S. What would your preacher have to say about your plans to become a terrorist I wonder? ;)

scm
October 14th, 2006, 03:25 AM
Hi there,

It seems to me that the best way to gain the attention of the media is to take inflamatory and sensationalist viewpoints and pretend to have a very hardline attitude about them.

Another good way to gain 'net attention is through humour. Does anyone remember the website that got thousands of dollars by threatening to stew a rabbit? Ah yes, here it is (thanks Google): http://www.savetoby.com/ that was fun..

So I suggest we offer our support to poor misunderstood North Korea and offer them simple instructions for building a better explosive delivery system via using Google as a search engine, then going on to explain that because of the censorship rules with sister-China they can't actually read those sites...

Okay okay, so maybe there's something that's less viscerally offensive but will still attract attention?

GeoffBoulton
October 14th, 2006, 12:49 PM
It seems to me that the best way to gain the attention of the media is to take inflamatory and sensationalist viewpoints and pretend to have a very hardline attitude about them.

It works for Christians ;)

Okay okay, so maybe there's something that's less viscerally offensive but will still attract attention?

A 'Crusade' maybe ;)

acachinero
October 14th, 2006, 07:24 PM

Throw eggs at the Redmond Campus gates and post the video on (I can say YouTube safely now :) ) YouTube ;)?

disciple
October 15th, 2006, 04:31 PM
ill bomb all your churches.

It's good to see that religious tolerance is still alive and well ;)

P.S. What would your preacher have to say about your plans to become a terrorist I wonder? ;)

I'm just wondering where he is going to find those churches? bet they wont show up on a Google search!

Nameless
October 16th, 2006, 06:33 AM
Word of mouth of course will (hopefully) eventually get CoG to the point where some media outlet notices of its own accord, but suggesting a story to every outlet you can think of would be another. Doing something radical in public could also get attention, but that would require effort, planning, creativity and stuff.

MeTHoD-X
October 16th, 2006, 07:09 AM
Word of mouth of course will (hopefully) eventually get CoG to the point where some media outlet notices of its own accord, but suggesting a story to every outlet you can think of would be another. Doing something radical in public could also get attention, but that would require effort, planning, creativity and stuff.

Not sure if you read the thread in the Ministers Lounge yet, but the Washington Post already contacted me about an interview.

Cain
October 18th, 2006, 10:33 AM
I say 20 or so of us go through a list of hardline Christian forums and "warn them" of this new religion and its mockery of the "true word of God". Then wait for the denouncments and screeching to reach the ears of the media.

Cain,
trolls for your sins.

Fallen Hero
October 18th, 2006, 11:23 AM
I say 20 or so of us go through a list of hardline Christian forums and "warn them" of this new religion and its mockery of the "true word of God". Then wait for the denouncments and screeching to reach the ears of the media.

Cain,
trolls for your sins.

Well, we have done that, but openly admitted who we are. I think that tactic should be left to ministers at this point.

Cain
October 18th, 2006, 01:31 PM
OK. Good thing I didn't think I was being original with that idea!

Can Not
October 20th, 2006, 01:00 AM
What about terrorist attacks?

disciple
October 20th, 2006, 08:47 AM

If you were being serious I would send somebody round to your place to urine test you. Hah

Nameless
October 20th, 2006, 09:11 AM

Because Google is 'da bomb'?

Fallen Hero
October 20th, 2006, 11:27 AM

Because Google is 'da bomb'? :lol:

Can Not
October 21st, 2006, 04:24 AM

If you were being serious I would send somebody round to your place to urine test you. Hah

Oh, uh, I was kidding. Yeah.

disciple
October 21st, 2006, 08:39 AM

Kind of figured that.

Fallen Hero
October 21st, 2006, 08:44 AM

Kind of figured that.

If he was not, everyone would have been concerned. Also anyone who thought he was not is just silly.

disciple
October 21st, 2006, 08:51 AM
Ah the fallen one is once again lurking in the shadows waiting for the opportune moment to pounce.

Fallen Hero
October 21st, 2006, 08:54 AM
Ah the fallen one is once again lurking in the shadows waiting for the opportune moment to pounce.

Mwahahaha!

Ya, I'm always one. Morning Disciple.

disciple
October 21st, 2006, 08:58 AM
Ah no, it is good evening here Fallen. Good morning Fallen.

Fallen Hero
October 21st, 2006, 08:59 AM
Ah no, it is good evening here Fallen. Good morning Fallen. Ya? It's 10 am here.

disciple
October 21st, 2006, 09:05 AM
6pm Saturday 21/10.

Fallen Hero
October 21st, 2006, 09:06 AM
6pm Saturday 21/10. Ah. Makes more sense that you are ahead. Australia?

disciple
October 21st, 2006, 09:34 AM
6pm Saturday 21/10. Ah. Makes more sense that you are ahead. Australia?

Yes Australia, east coast Sunny Queensland (the home of melanomas!) Got to go system crashed just before; I need to find out why! Cheers