View Full Version : Having extreme mortality angst.

Rimmer
April 28th, 2010, 08:12 AM
Gotten to the point where I avoid going to sleep until I'm tired to the point of insanity just so I won't be able to think too much about death. It gives me diarrhea, though I'm guessing you didn't want to know that. Any way to deal with this stuff? Will it go away naturally? Already know about all that philosophical crap, blah blah you won't be able to care, blah blah it will be like before you were born. Well guess what, that just scares me even more.

rzm61
April 28th, 2010, 12:24 PM
Try smoking a bowl and do your best not thinking about it?

Will.
April 28th, 2010, 01:48 PM
Afraid not, after many spills on the honda, and many head on collisions and many pinto park ons, I've just come to terms with death, I understand that not only does everyone do it, everything does it, we have a limited amount of time, with an unlimited amount of opportunity. Don't waste it.

Rimmer
April 28th, 2010, 04:48 PM
Yeah, not helping. Smoking pot is out of the question, trying to not think about it is why I've been playing Quake Live more than 12 hours straight for the last few days, the fact that we all die pissess me off because we'd probably have discovered the secret of immortality in a couple hundred years, and everyone not born after that is shit out of luck. It's not the chance of dying that scares me. It's the inevitability of it. It triggers this biological response to "Shit, I'm about to die!" in me.

tagnostic
April 28th, 2010, 07:18 PM
lately i've been becoming tired of it all,
its boring, filled with assholes and pain
I've been clinically dead twice, it was relaxing,
not jumping into it, but kind of looking forward
to the big sleep

Rimmer
April 28th, 2010, 08:09 PM
That's just depressing. =/

tagnostic
April 28th, 2010, 09:37 PM
actually,
its quite
exhilirating
wants you don't
give a shit about
how it ends
your free to live it
while you can

DrM
April 28th, 2010, 10:22 PM
this isnt your last day on earth. They have a new one happening in Australia right now. you can call and check too.

Also dude, have you read Catch-22?
Act like Dunbar. He just wants to live as long as possible, so he makes his life boring so that minutes turn into hours. Some times hes so good at living longer he seems dead.

Ive met many dead people, and they aren't really bad people. Most of them are just living people that gave up. Now they lead very fulfilling nonlives. Trust me, if you keep going on like this you're going to die. Unless you particularly enjoy irony, i suggest you dont worry about it and live.

Everyone dies, people are fragile. Death taunts you at every turn with his big scythe and gaunt robes. Imagine hes in his underpants, and that his big scythe is just a phallus compensating for the lack of a bulge down below. youll be able to do your presentation much better that way.

What was i saying? O yes.
Death anxiety is a leading cause of death in the United States. You can look it up. Some "intellectuals" might do so and say, no; it isnt. Thats because they looked it up in a book. Everyone knows books have a well established liberal bias.

If you keep worrying about death youve already lost. Its a surrender to the big guy with a penis problem in black robes.

Now go play in traffic.

Rimmer
April 29th, 2010, 03:36 AM
^I'm confused.

DrM
April 29th, 2010, 04:47 AM
^I'm confused.

Which part?

Rimmer
April 29th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Everything.

What was i saying?

My thoughts exactly.

tagnostic
April 29th, 2010, 08:17 PM
living forever would get extremely dull
not to mention old age sucks,
in and of itself,
wouldn't look
forward to
it just
getting worse

Rimmer
April 30th, 2010, 01:30 AM
If you ever got bored you could always play russian roulette.

tagnostic
April 30th, 2010, 03:37 AM
don't like the loud noises,
my version of proactive
is to go to the biker bar
and play every country
song on the jukebox
if that doesn't work
I'll start throwing
pennies around
until someone
decides i'm
not going
away

tagnostic
May 1st, 2010, 03:24 PM
before you can have any anxiety about death,
you have to be able to define and conceptualize life.
this is one of the slipperiest concepts to grammatify
even to oneself, whether we lack the language skills
or the reasoning capacity the bottom line is that
no one can define or explain it satisfactorily
or it would have been done and the world
would be a much more peaceful place.

start with the basic premise that 'You' exist,
this is a self perpetuating fact ie: you must exist to both accept and deny the proposition, if all states of the proposition are true, the proposition is true.

from this it follows that 'You' are capable of reasoning ie: if you can accept that there are multiple states to a given proposition (as stipulated by the first) then you are capable of postulating multiple possible states of reality as you can/do perceive it (again, accept/deny existence)
it also then follows that your existence includes memory de facto you must possess it in order to remember both the initial premise and the decision/if any regarding its truth
what follows from memory is the inherent concept of time ie: a prior state of being you as opposed to the constant 'current' you which returns to the proposition of memory which is requisite for the concept of time
what comes next is the beginning of the slippery slope; since no 'You' can remember or percieve a reality without its own existence: there are the possibilities that, 'you' always existed/memory is faulty(insufficient)/reality does not require 'you' for existence

after this its all speculation
because all of the 3 states are possible, yet none is logically deducible because of either insufficient data/insufficient sensory perception to recognize the data/insufficient cognitive ability to identify and-or process the data

reality/life for 'you' would then be your ability to percieve 'you' as seperate and apart from 'other non-you'(entities/things/objects that can be deduced to exist) since without out this concept of !NOT 'you', you as an identity could not exist

time as can be inferred is the state of being(perception) NOW and !NOT NOW, the differences are only proven through memory, comparison of prior states of perception with the current state of perception can only prove a Change in perception (this does not imply any motion or dimension, only a Change in perception) [which then infers that time is a consequent integral of perception, the smaller the discrete instances of change in perception the greater the perception of time {in point of reference, time flies during increased discrete instances of change and time is percieved to drag when there is less change percieved}]

since then reality/life is the comparison of changes in perception, the negative would be the inability to compare and or lack of changes to compare, which would then be the cessation of all reality as defined

conclusion: reality/life begins and ends with your ability to cognitively percieve and compare the states of NOW/!NOT NOW and YOU/!NOT YOU
at no point does it stipulate a corporate being or perception thereof

everything else is speculation/self delusion

(descarte's was an optomist)
[dust of those tl:dr hotkeys]