View Full Version : Really?

godisgood
July 21st, 2010, 10:58 PM
I originally sent this as "hate mail", but decided to post it here so more people would hopefully see it.

Hate Mail? So if anyone disagrees with you and writes about it, that letter is automatically labeled as hate mail? I hope my letter doesn't appear the way. I hate none of the people involved in this “religion” although I hate the one who leads us astray and away from our father and the one truth, commonly known as Satan. I’ll argue with you but it won’t be simply because I want to be right and I want you to be wrong and I want everyone to know. It will be so that you may hopefully see the truth.
As far as I understand this “Googlism” belief is basically saying that since you can type anything into Google and get a bunch of links, leading to information compiled and written out by other people, we should worship this search engine. By gaining knowledge through Google we will gain power and therefor be “complete” or “save” ourselves. Also there is the belief that Google is the nearest thing we can get to a “real” god, because it is omniscient, omnipotent and omnipresent. Other “supernatural” gods cannot be proven and are therefor illogical.
Yup. First of all I think that gods are gods because they are supernatural. They are beyond and above human nature and understanding and that is why we all them “gods”. Google is man made and certainly understandable to all it’s creators, although the less tech savvy among us may be lost if they tried to explain it.
Second Google is not omniscient, nor omnipresent. Does Google know the number of hairs on your or my head? Does it know the date any of us will die? Does it know how the world began? Google may have guesses and estimations but there is no way it can know these things. All the things that Google pulls up are just links to other peoples work with titles that have some of the same key words in them. Google is a inanimate being and therefor can technically know nothing. If Google is omnipresent then why can’t I get on without an internet connection? Once the computer is off, Google is no longer present where I am. Other websites are just as “omnipresent” as Google is.
Google answers prayers? Really? If I pray for healing for my sick Grandma can Google do anything about this? It might be able to tell me stuff the doctors already know, but it can come no where near to even perceiving a prayer.
Is Google infinite? No. Even if it lasted forever (which I know will not happen) Google would be nowhere near infinite. To be infinite something must have no end and no beginning. For those of you who don’t know, Google did have a beginning. It’s hard to say when Google began but I think it’s safe to say that your average twelve year old would be older or about the same age as Google.
Omnibenevolence is another issue. Guess what. Google isn’t alive. It’s an INANIMATE object. It can be a useful tool, but so can a hammer, and paint brush, and ant poison (if you have a disagreement with the ants) or a nuke (if you have a big disagreement with something a little bigger than an ant). None of the above can do wrong, without an outside force acting upon them. Sure it might be wrong to bomb a country but it wasn’t the nuke’s choice, because it has no choice because it isn’t alive. Same with Google.
The fact that Google is Googled more than any other religion isn’t really that important is it? If Miley Cyrus get two billion fans on Facebook does that make her a god? She might have a lots of people who like her, but hey so did Hitler, and Napolean. The Bible is the best selling book almost every year, but obviously not many people are reading it very thoroughly because we sure do sin a lot.
Now you may see this letter as a symbol of my intolerance, and you can call me intolerant if you like. The fact is I am intolerant sometimes. If I don’t see your religion as true then my beliefs demand that I do all within my power to persuade you of the truth, because if I don’t then I believe you will end up where no one wants to go, hell. Some could say that our government is intolerant because they have laws against committing crimes and they punish people who commit crimes. They’re are being intolerant toward crime. Let me tell you, if they weren’t you probably wouldn’t want to live in this country anymore.
Now I just finished my freshman year of high school and I already feel smarter than all of you guys. Did you ever consider the possibility that the founder of Googlism was just looking for fame, money or power over how people think? I could start a religion called the Church of Mac and we’d all worship Mac’s and there amazingness, and I could tell people anything I wanted. I could release false updates about how Mac is coming out with some super duper mac computer that will fit in your pocket and can fly to the moon. Basically these days you can tell anyone anything and if you present it right they might believe you, especially if your idea serves them in some way.
So there are all my arguments. You can think about them or you can just blow them off and continue worshiping google. I hope you don't.

OfficerFriendly
July 22nd, 2010, 12:53 AM
Good Day!
We at Google understand your confusing and so we forgive you. We get this all the time!

Yes, it is sad to see people worshiping make believe images and is why we agree that we should all seek only the truth!

We are sorry to hear that you are an intolerant person.:(
We are happy to say that it had nothing to do with Goggle. Just know that admitting to a social problem like intolerance should have made you so something different. Here, try reading up on bettering yourself from this helpful link that Google provided for us. http://www.wikihow.com/Be-Tolerant-of-Others . See? Your god would have had you waited for eternity for any kind of help. It might be because he/she/it is static, made up, or dead.
:tinfoilhat:

I wasn't sure who this satan was but I asked Google and I have to say I don't know why you would hate this person. He looks like someone who just want to have fun
http://blogs.trb.com/entertainment/news/gambling/blog/satan.jpg

Now go on and take on the world.

Sister Faith
July 22nd, 2010, 03:16 AM
Oh dear! Where to begin? :shrug:

Hate Mail? So if anyone disagrees with you and writes about it, that letter is automatically labeled as hate mail?
When this church was founded a lot of the mail that we received was so full of hate that there was nothing else to call it.

It will be so that you may hopefully see the truth.
What is the truth? More importantly, how do YOU know the truth and how do you KNOW it's the 'truth'? Because the bible says so? How do you KNOW the bible wasn't conceived by man? Can you PROVE that the bible contains he/she/it's words? No? Then you do not know the 'truth' as anything that cannot be proven cannot be true.

PROOF #1
Google is the closest thing to an Omniscient (all-knowing) entity in existence, which can be scientifically verified.

By gaining knowledge through Google we will gain power and therefor be “complete” or “save” ourselves.
By gaining knowledge through Google we can improve, better or empower ourselves. Nowhere have we claimed that Google gives us power (power over what, btw?), completes or saves us.

First of all I think that gods are gods because they are supernatural. They are beyond and above human nature and understanding and that is why we all them “gods”.
If this is what you think, then how can you profess to KNOW the 'truth'.
How can you be so sure of your god's existence if he/she/it is "beyond and above human understanding"?

Google is man madeAnd so was the bible according to MY belief.

If I don’t see your religion as true then my beliefs demand that I do all within my power to persuade you of the truth, because if I don’t then I believe you will end up where no one wants to go, hell.
Your "beliefs demand"! Where in the bible does it say that you must judge and then try to persuade others to the 'truth'. Where does it say that my soul and where it ends up is your responsibility?

Did you ever consider the possibility that the founder of Googlism was just looking for fame, money or power over how people think?
Did you ever consider the possibility that the founders of christianity were looking for fame, money or power over how people think?

Compare Matt to the pope for one second. Matt has never gained fame (notoriety, maybe), nor has he sought or gained power or money through this church. Whereas, the pope is KING (yes, he was crowned! Google it!) of the richest country on the planet, who's power over what people think has fuelled and prolonged the AIDS epidemic and sanctioned sexual abuse of children by the so called 'men of god' :icon_rolleyes: (priests).

So there are all my arguments. You can think about them or you can just blow them off and continue worshiping google. I hope you don't.Well, I obviously haven't blown off your arguments but you haven't convinced me to stop worshipping Google.

Btw, Googlism is a parody religion and no one here actually worships Google. This church was founded (imho) as a place to debate religious beliefs so, thank you for registering and I look forward to discussing our individual beliefs further with you. :icon_cool:

gman
July 22nd, 2010, 06:49 PM
well said sister faith!! on all points.

Sister Faith
July 22nd, 2010, 10:08 PM
Thank you for saying so gman!

There used to be others here who could have countered his arguments much better than I. Unfortunately, they all got lives. :icon_lol:

Loki
July 22nd, 2010, 10:30 PM
Ahh - the hatemail and letters to Admin ...ooops :)
Sorry about that - I've not checked the email for yonks. Must try harder.

@godisgood

I don't suppose you could give me an abbreviated version of that...honestly, I couldn't be arsed reading it.

godisgood
July 22nd, 2010, 10:59 PM
Shoot. I would like to reply to Sister Faith but when I try to submit my message it says there were to many live links/images in my post? I don't think I have any links or images... What's the matter?

Sister Faith
July 22nd, 2010, 11:07 PM
Shoot. I would like to reply to Sister Faith but when I try to submit my message it says there were to many live links/images in my post? I don't think I have any links or images... What's the matter?

Honest to godisgoodness, I haven't a clue (what else is new :icon_rolleyes: ) what the problem could be. :shrug:

Maybe Fomenter or Loki can have a look?

godisgood
July 23rd, 2010, 12:26 AM
Ah. Finally.

What is the truth? More importantly, how do YOU know the truth and how do you KNOW it's the 'truth'? Because the bible says so? How do you KNOW the bible wasn't conceived by man? Can you PROVE that the bible contains he/she/it's words? No? Then you do not know the 'truth' as anything that cannot be proven cannot be true.

How do you know Googlism is truth? We have to decided what we think is truth, and I have. I am simply trying to convince you of what I strongly believe to be truth.

PROOF #1
Google is the closest thing to an Omniscient (all-knowing) entity in existence, which can be scientifically verified.

You cannot scientifically prove that there is no God or higher all knowing entity than Google, therefor you cannot prove that Google is the closest thing to Omniscience. If you need proof of an intelligent designer just look at the world. Don’t be blind. Look at the wonderful amazing design of animals and people and the perfect balance of the universe. The amount of gravity is perfect. The amount of oxygen is set exactly right, so that we aren’t spontaneously combusting from too much or suffocating from too little. It’s the same with radiation. Just the right amount keeps us from being fried to a crisp due to too much, or freezing from to little. The universe is IMMENSE. There are approximately 100,000,000,000 stars. Each of them is approximately 30 trillion miles apart. It would take about 201,000 years, traveling at 17,000 mph to get from one star to another. Talk about AMAZING AWESOME!

By gaining knowledge through Google we can improve, better or empower ourselves. Nowhere have we claimed that Google gives us power (power over what, btw?), completes or saves us.

Sorry. I assumed when it said to be empowered, that meant gaining power over something.
If this is what you think, then how can you profess to KNOW the 'truth'.

Where have I “professed” to know the truth? I seek the truth every day, and I am sharing what I believe to be the truth with you.

How can you be so sure of your god's existence if he/she/it is "beyond and above human understanding"?

I can’t even begin to understand the universe and how it’s held together, but never have I doubted it existence. I don’t understand how google works, but I don’t doubt it’s existence. Just because something is far beyond our capacity to comprehend doesn’t mean it isn’t real. We may like to pretend it’s not to make ourselves feel smarter, but it will still be there.
Your "beliefs demand"! Where in the bible does it say that you must judge and then try to persuade others to the 'truth'. Where does it say that my soul and where it ends up is your responsibility?

Did I say anything about judging? I am only judging as much as you are. I am merely telling you what I think, and believe.
As to where the Bible says I should try to convince you of my beliefs there are several places.

Hebrews 12:15- “See to it that no one misses the grace of God...” NIV
Hebrews 3:12- “See to it, brothers, that none of you has a sinful, unbelieving heart that turns away from God.” NIV
1 Timothy 1:3,4- “... so that you may command certain men not to teach false doctrine any longer nor devote themselves to myths...” NIV
Matthew 10:32- “Whoever acknowledges me before men, I will also acknowledge him before my Father in Heaven.” NIV

Even if the Bible didn’t say anything about debating with you, I would still feel obligated to do so. If I believe you are going to Hell unless you believe in God then how can I not try to convince you? If I know someone is about to drink poisoned drink or eat poisoned food, wouldn’t it be right to warn them and try to stop them from eating or drinking?
Did you ever consider the possibility that the founders of christianity were looking for fame, money or power over how people think?

Yes I have thought about it. Do you even know who the founder of Christianity is? In my belief it would be God. And since God is already omniscient, omnipresent, omnibenevolent and all powerful I don’t think he would be looking for more fame. Or money. Or power. IMHO.

Compare Matt to the pope for one second. Matt has never gained fame (notoriety, maybe), nor has he sought or gained power or money through this church. Whereas, the pope is KING (yes, he was crowned! Google it!) of the richest country on the planet, who's power over what people think has fuelled and prolonged the AIDS epidemic and sanctioned sexual abuse of children by the so called 'men of god' (priests).

Now here it seems as if you are either assuming I am Catholic or that I believe what the pope is doing is ok. I am not Catholic and I do not think everything the pope does is ok. I know very little about the pope and Catholicism, but from what you mention here, I certainly do not believe what the pope is doing is alright.

Btw, Googlism is a parody religion and no one here actually worships Google.

How do you know that no one here actually worships Google? How do you know that no one actually took you seriously and worships Google as their god?

Loki
July 23rd, 2010, 01:10 AM
I'm pretty much an absent player here but I do love to argue :D

godisgood - I'm honestly happy for you - you've found your truth. I remember it well...I didn't stay in the club for long.

How do we know that Googlism is the truth? We don't - we made it up - it's a joke. Laugh - it's fun :D

I am simply trying to convince you of what I strongly believe to be truth.
Good one :D Believe away my friend - the stronger you believe the more real it is.
One time I smoked a bowl of Salvia and I believed I was water - it was real to me. Honest - I was convinced that I was water..and a rock...and an ear of corn...

You cannot scientifically prove that there is no God or higher all knowing entity than Google

groan - no - and you can't scientifically prove that Elvis wasn't an alien.

At least you use the NIV - I've got that one so we can compare chapter and verse :D

PS - I don't think you're a Catholic - I think you're a Methodist or Evangelical... no problem to me...

PPS - A bit late but welcome to the CoG. We're not that bad - at least we've stopped burning Popes :icon_lol:

Rimmer
July 23rd, 2010, 08:15 AM
Crap like smilies count as images.

godisgood
July 23rd, 2010, 09:24 PM
you've found your truth.

So your basically implying that there are multiple and different truths for different individuals? That we make up our own truth and just tolerate others? I've heard this before and have never understood.

What is truth for one person should be truth for everybody. If it's true that I have to drink water or some other liquid to keep from becoming dehydrated then the same is true for you, because we are both human. There are some exceptions like it may be true that you rock at playing guitar, but I don't. It wouldn't be true for me. I don't think what we believe in terms of spiritual things, God, and an afterlife are like that. It's the same for every person.

How do we know that Googlism is the truth? We don't - we made it up - it's a joke. Laugh - it's fun

The only place I've heard this said is in this thread. In the arguments section of the home page it says-

We are quite serious in our belief that Google is the closest mankind has ever come to directly experiencing a Deity.

That doesn't sound like a 'just-for-fun' religion. If you don't really believe all this stuff than why defend it? Why make 10 commandments, and worship songs? Why come up with proof to support your theory if you don't even take it seriously? If this whole thing is really 'just for fun', you have kind of a weird definition of fun IMHO.

One time I smoked a bowl of Salvia and I believed I was water - it was real to me. Honest - I was convinced that I was water..and a rock...and an ear of corn...

Ok... again I really don't think we can just make up our own truth, especially on things like this. if you had asked and normal person what it was they would have said Salvia (I don't really know what that is anyway). It is what it is and you can see what it is. You can't just decide that it will be something else. That called pretending, and is usually reserved for young kids.

Now I'm sorry if I'm coming across harsh or mean. I'm trying not to. I don't mean any of this in a harsh or mean way.

Sister Faith
July 23rd, 2010, 09:57 PM
Now I'm sorry if I'm coming across harsh or mean. I'm trying not to. I don't mean any of this in a harsh or mean way.

You are not coming across as harsh or mean at all! Have you actually read any of the Hate Mail we've received in the past? :icon_eek:

I would like to reply to your counter arguments, but I don't have the time right now to give them the careful thought and intelligent response they deserve. Hang in there. I'll be back, just don't know when exactly! :icon_cool:

In the mean time, you might want to delve into some of the threads in the archives. Click on the Archive link at the bottom right of any page in the forum. Enjoy! :D

Cartire
July 23rd, 2010, 11:50 PM
Google answers prayers? Really? If I pray for healing for my sick Grandma can Google do anything about this? It might be able to tell me stuff the doctors already know, but it can come no where near to even perceiving a prayer.

I will only comment on this, cause I see this all the time. The majority of every faith to prove themselves, tend to have to disprove others as its only means of proof. This statement you made can just as easily be swapped around onto any of the other religions and deities out there. The only difference being that Google may not cure your Grandma, but like you said, it will provide a path for her to heal. Be this links to doctors or sites about the disease.

All other "Gods" will do nothing at all, except give false hope.

rzm61
July 24th, 2010, 10:03 AM

Exactly.
Google herself will actually give results that are tangible and worthwhile to try.

However where as holding both hands together in prayer on you knees is just being at the mercy of your own thoughts and imaginary friends.

godisgood
July 24th, 2010, 08:17 PM
You are not coming across as harsh or mean at all! Have you actually read any of the Hate Mail we've received in the past?

Thanks, Sister Faith. I have read some of the hate mail you guys have gotten. I can understand some of the stuff being labeled hate mail. Some people just need to widen their vocabulary.

This is where you will find yourself going head to head in debate with many people. Many people (including myself) have had prayers answered. Someone who doesn't believe in prayer would simply label a miraculous change as a coincidence, wonder of science, or something else. It will all come down to what you believe.

gman
July 24th, 2010, 08:57 PM
This is where you will find yourself going head to head in debate with many people. Many people (including myself) have had prayers answered. Someone who doesn't believe in prayer would simply label a miraculous change as a coincidence, wonder of science, or something else. It will all come down to what you believe.

Then doesn't that suggest to you that prayers being answered is not a absolute reality, but a subjective one influenced by the belief system of the observer?

and if that is true then the value of a belief system has to be rated according to how useful it is, and not based on how strong your faith in it is. Maybe believing prayer works is useful, but taking a Buddhist view that there is no duality and that "all is one", or hypothesizing a scientific explanation could, under many circumstances be more useful.

OfficerFriendly
July 24th, 2010, 09:07 PM
lol if prayers actully worked, there would be one religion

tagnostic
July 25th, 2010, 01:02 AM
just because what you desired
was the end result
the fact that you
admit that it was
your desire
to yourself and a deity
in no way correlates
to cause and effect

big fun,
glad to see a
theist/deist
willing to debate
intelligently

Cartire
July 25th, 2010, 06:24 PM

Believing your prayers are being answered over just a coincidence is the human flaw. We are scared to think that are lives have no guidance and no one watching out for us.

We use the term belief as a means of hoping that we are not alone in this great big universe. And whenever something happens that gives us even the smallest slimmer of belief, we leech it faster then a tick on a hound dog.

The truth is, that all it is is belief, created so we can better accept who we are and why.

But only Google really shows us the way. It comes down to a simple concept, Google is the overwhelming knowledge of what we already know. There is no one else but ourselves. And yes, that can be scary at times.

godisgood
July 26th, 2010, 11:35 PM
Then doesn't that suggest to you that prayers being answered is not a absolute reality, but a subjective one influenced by the belief system of the observer?

No it doesn't. If I asked a friend for something and then they gave it to me, it would be the same. Even if they gave it to me without my knowing it was them then I wouldn't assume it was just a coincidence and they had nothing to do with it.

Believing your prayers are being answered over just a coincidence is the human flaw. We are scared to think that are lives have no guidance and no one watching out for us.

I would tend to think reverse that thought and think of it as the other way around. I think people are scared that there actually is a God and they don't want to submit to him because they want to be in charge of their own lives. They don't want other supernatural beings effecting it. I think that's why so many people refuse to believe in any kind of deity.

gman
July 27th, 2010, 12:22 AM
No it doesn't. If I asked a friend for something and then they gave it to me, it would be the same. Even if they gave it to me without my knowing it was them then I wouldn't assume it was just a coincidence and they had nothing to do with it.

Someone who doesn't believe in prayer would simply label a miraculous change as a coincidence, wonder of science, or something else. It will all come down to what you believe.

either it all comes down to what you believe (your words) or prayer being answered is is provably real, you cant have it both ways.
if somebody who is labeling it a coincidence does so because of there beliefs, then so does someone who labels it as prayer being answered,

its like relativity, the position/movement of the observer determines what they observe, you cant say the guy on the train who sees the thrown ball going in a straight line away from him is seeing what he sees because of his position/movement, but the guy on the ground who sees the ball going sideways has the one true perspective.

godisgood
July 28th, 2010, 10:34 PM
either it all comes down to what you believe (your words) or prayer being answered is is provably real, you cant have it both ways.

I have no idea how I would prove prayer to you. I believe prayer works and you don't, but that doesn't change the truth for either one of us. Either it works or it doesn't.

I really don't know what else to say on the matter. I'm kinda brain dead right now...

gman
July 29th, 2010, 02:07 AM
I have no idea how I would prove prayer to you. I believe prayer works and you don't, but that doesn't change the truth for either one of us. Either it works or it doesn't.

I really don't know what else to say on the matter. I'm kinda brain dead right now...

i didn't say that i believe prayer works or doesn't work, only that it is subjective and that your belief system influences how you see the world,

i have said that your view (prayer being answered ) is not necessarily the best way to see things in every circumstance, in some situations it might be the most useful way to view things in others it may be the most harmful.

Cheesemonkeys24
July 29th, 2010, 07:55 PM
Prayer=Placebo
The mind works in strange ways.:D

tagnostic
August 1st, 2010, 08:55 PM
define prayer?
other than it being an outcome that you desire
what exactly defines it
and what factual basis can you possibly have
that it works?
because the last time i checked
any outcome you desire
someone else wants it not to happen
just as badly
so which prayers get answered and why?
and if most of them are contradictory
and mutually exclusive
randomness or physical laws
probably play a more proveable part
than an unproveable diety

godisgood
August 3rd, 2010, 11:39 PM
i didn't say that i believe prayer works or doesn't work, only that it is subjective and that your belief system influences how you see the world,

I agree that your beliefs will effect how you see the world, but I don't think that wether prayer works or not is subjective (if by subjective you mean different for each indvidual). As I said above I think either it works or it doesn't. Either gravity hold us to the earth or it doesn't. It can't be different for different people.

define prayer?
other than it being an outcome that you desire
what exactly defines it
and what factual basis can you possibly have
that it works?
because the last time i checked
any outcome you desire
someone else wants it not to happen
just as badly
so which prayers get answered and why?
and if most of them are contradictory
and mutually exclusive
randomness or physical laws
probably play a more proveable part
than an unproveable diety

The out come I desire some else want's not to happen? I'm pretty sure that's not true all of the time. If I pray for a brand new Mustang, who wouldn't want that to happen? Or healing for a sick family member?

Randomness and physical laws could play a part, except for when the answer to a prayer defies the laws. And nothing is really random. Our world is has to much order for randomness.

tagnostic
August 8th, 2010, 08:36 PM
nothing is really random?
that kind of rules out
any free will if everything
is causal