View Full Version : Hello!

Eliomann
October 10th, 2010, 04:48 AM
**Well...
My name is Eliomann (I prefer to hide my real name), stu-dying architecture in Lima, Perú.
I heard about Googlism for the very first time thanks to a friend of mine who lives in Australia. She's the reason why I'm here.
I chose to join because I share the same ideals shared in the section "Arguments" and "Proof". I don't believe in god because I find in it the greatest expression of intolerance, irrationalism and lack of logic in humanity.

But, how do we know he doesn't exist? how do we know he does exist? We don't know, and so, it becomes a matter of choice. I choose not to believe...becuase I don't belive in the bible, which was written by man due to "divine inspiration". I find "divine inspiration" a good way to tell people "god told me"...to then, mislead them.

In religion I see man enchained, bound to limits, losing any sense of critical thinking. How? Easy, they tell you what to think. "Do what we tell you, not what we do"...then, reason is forgotten, and the person becomes a puppet whose strings are pulled by religious leaders who drive a Lexus, use "Tag Heuer" asking for money, because "god" says you must give money. Does a poor believer have to surrender his few coins to serve god? What does logic tell you? Should I feed my stomach or give it?...Know that prayers will never fill an empty stomach...

"But god will provide"...does he? Does he provide food to those who hunger in Africa? or in India?

"No, because people there don't believe in him"...if he created us, aren't they part of "his" creation? doesn't he look after his creation? According to his "book" he does.

"But they don't believe in him"...perhaps, then those who believe in him become members of a VIP society? Where's equality? I've seen people begging to god for food, and still they starve...does he listen to them too?

"He's got his plans"...I find his "plans" stupid. Allowing brothers killing each other in wars looks to me part of a "Final Solution" sort of thing. Were "The Crusades" a plan too?

Oh wait...I forgot he allows things to happen for one reason...To show how mighty is he! That's why he doesn't do anything and allows this world to beocme the shithole it is now...
He is weak, and uses fear to scare us all, the idea of god.

I say: fear him not. Fight for your ideals. You are your own minister of your life. Your life belongs to you and depends on you what do with it. It's a huge responsability, but it's better than leaving in the "hands" of someone you don't really know exists. Or do you prefer to be one more in the long line? It's your call to make.

Wake up.

tagnostic
October 10th, 2010, 09:58 PM
welcome to the CoG
we don't always agree
in fact some times
we argue like heck
but we attempt to
argue (not always successfully)
with fact and logic

glad to have ya

Sister Faith
October 12th, 2010, 04:20 AM
Welcome Elio.

'you are your own minister'

You said it all right there! :icon_cool:

Is your friend from Australia a member of CoG too?

Eliomann
October 17th, 2010, 03:14 PM
**Thanks for the welcome guys =)

And the attempt is always welcome, tagnostic (Y)
"We are our own ministers"...something I won't stop saying
As for my friend, she isn't a member...yet! xD

tagnostic
October 17th, 2010, 09:05 PM
Architecture?
what kind of
structures do
you plan to
design?

Eliomann
October 18th, 2010, 02:46 AM
**Well..don't know yet...I guess I'll find that out eventually...I'm whaat in Perú call "cachimbo", a first term student ^.^'

tagnostic
October 21st, 2010, 11:19 PM
i'm a perennial student
i'm always learning
but it never seems
to be enough

OfficerFriendly
October 22nd, 2010, 04:21 PM
Hello Elio,
Please provide ample space above ceilings for utilities to run through. Especially above corridors. And remember that some utilities has insulation around them which makes them fatter to thread between your I-beams and reflective ceilings. Also, please provide steel for our risers to mount to. Thx

tagnostic
October 23rd, 2010, 07:04 AM
theres always a critic
roflshcuafl
the function is the form
OF's function seems to
be forming opinions b4
they're hatched :icon_lol:

tatty000
October 24th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Sounds like you've recieved a very misguided and poorly presented form of Christianity, which, unfortunately, many people in today's society hold to and follow, when they miss the true point and become their own hypocrites.

Anyway, welcome on board, there are many around that share googlism, and when I'm around (normally when I'm free from the pains of uni) I do my best to present Christianity in the most accurate way.

Also, I'm a civil student, and I know how much of a pain architecture is! Good luck!

Eliomann
October 24th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Hello Elio,
Please provide ample space above ceilings for utilities to run through. Especially above corridors. And remember that some utilities has insulation around them which makes them fatter to thread between your I-beams and reflective ceilings. Also, please provide steel for our risers to mount to. Thx

Come on man! I'm just a first term student! You are asking me stuff of second and third term students! xD
I promise I'll tell you this once I get to "Edification and Urbanism" subject. (Y)

Eliomann
October 24th, 2010, 03:20 PM
Sounds like you've recieved a very misguided and poorly presented form of Christianity, which, unfortunately, many people in today's society hold to and follow, when they miss the true point and become their own hypocrites.

Anyway, welcome on board, there are many around that share googlism, and when I'm around (normally when I'm free from the pains of uni) I do my best to present Christianity in the most accurate way.

Also, I'm a civil student, and I know how much of a pain architecture is! Good luck!

My grandparents are adventist. My mother's a jew and so are my dad and brother. My dad's family is catholic. I've learnt hebrew, some greek, latin. I've read at least 10 bibles. I have one that belonged to my grangrandfather, dated 1898. If you were able to understand the different version and translation mistakes made (I don't know if on purpose, but I believe it is) you'd understand that I counter many Chrsitian thoughts with their own bibles U.U. I find funny doing that.
I have also studied the history of the MIddle east thanks to my grandfather, who was a historian. He had books on the origins of christian signs, egyptian symbology and any other books in german.

I can say I've seen many faces of christianity, judaism (which is older) and also the historic part of the Bible. The Gilgamseh legend, Enki, Eu, El and many others...
I don't need a god to know killing is bad, that steal is bad. That many other things are bad...

I'm my own source of creation...If I succeed is because of my effort, if I fail, it won't be because god hates me =).

tatty000
October 24th, 2010, 03:32 PM
My grandparents are adventist. My mother's a jew and so are my dad and brother. My dad's family is catholic. I've learnt hebrew, some greek, latin. I've read at least 10 bibles. I have one that belonged to my grangrandfather, dated 1898. If you were able to understand the different version and translation mistakes made (I don't know if on purpose, but I believe it is) you'd understand that I counter many Chrsitian thoughts with their own bibles U.U. I find funny doing that.
I have also studied the history of the MIddle east thanks to my grandfather, who was a historian. He had books on the origins of christian signs, egyptian symbology and any other books in german.

I can say I've seen many faces of christianity, judaism (which is older) and also the historic part of the Bible. The Gilgamseh legend, Enki, Eu, El and many others...
I don't need a god to know killing is bad, that steal is bad. That many other things are bad...

I'm my own source of creation...If I succeed is because of my effort, if I fail, it won't be because god hates me =).

Yet you seem to base your view of Christianity on others workings, when you claim to of read it 10x yourself? None of your statements made in the original post seem to be based at all in context of the Bible.

And I know about the mistakes of translation. However there are a number of Bible versions out there, some are more accurate than others, and different versions are used for different purposes. Some are attempting to represent the Bible authors interpretation, whilst others are an attempt at a direct translation. Remembering that we can only do our best. Our languages are completely different, with their words having different meaning to ours, their style of language and construction of sentences being a flip of our basic English. But they have done their best to do their best.

Just to state my opinion, Adventists are not what I would consider the closest denomination to the truth of God and do have a fair few abstract views that I would not agree with, Catholics are so far from the truth of the Bible it isn't funny and Judaism isn't a form of Christianity whatsoever. But I don't understand how that was a reply to my post?

tagnostic
October 24th, 2010, 08:02 PM
Yet you seem to base your view of Christianity on others workings, when you claim to of read it 10x yourself? None of your statements made in the original post seem to be based at all in context of the Bible.

all forms of Christianity are based on others interpetations
ie: if you weren't there, its other people's opinion/interpetation

And I know about the mistakes of translation. However there are a number of Bible versions out there, some are more accurate than others, and different versions are used for different purposes.

the fact that there are multiple interpetations/translations would in itself imply that accuracy is out the window

Some are attempting to represent the Bible authors interpretation, whilst others are an attempt at a direct translation.

even a direct translation is not accurate
i don't know how many languages you speak
but if you want to give the 'bible' a shot
try doing the Sermon on the mount in German
and then try the 10 commandments in French
doesn't come even close to the language (english/american version)
that we are currently using

Remembering that we can only do our best. Our languages are completely different, with their words having different meaning to ours, their style of language and construction of sentences being a flip of our basic English. But they have done their best to do their best.

doing your best is by definition the best You can do,
why would anyone attempt to impose their standards of 'best'
on anyone else? and more to the point, why would anyone accept
someone elses standards?
just asking

Just to state my opinion, Adventists are not what I would consider the closest denomination to the truth of God and do have a fair few abstract views that I would not agree with, Catholics are so far from the truth of the Bible it isn't funny and Judaism isn't a form of Christianity whatsoever. But I don't understand how that was a reply to my post?

works for you
but why would anyone else accept it or care?

proselytizing is a crime
religions are fine
if you keep it to yourself

(ps, long time no see, good to have you around tatty, nothing personal just my humble opinion as are yours)

Eliomann
October 24th, 2010, 09:21 PM
**At least for you, yet what you see there is part of my conclusion...let me now when you read more and are able link history, language and the texts together.
Going back to language, learn hebrew, and you'll see that many translations are far from the original.

I agree Tagnostic (Y)

tagnostic
October 24th, 2010, 10:26 PM
hehehehe
yeppers
everything must be taken in context
culturally, temporily and linguistically

tatty000
October 26th, 2010, 02:10 PM
all forms of Christianity are based on others interpetations
ie: if you weren't there, its other people's opinion/interpetation

I meant that he is basing his view on what he see's as the example of Christianity in others in todays society. And although it is very fair and reasonable to do so, we have to keep in mind that so many people are far from what I, and many others, would consider Biblical truth.

the fact that there are multiple interpetations/translations would in itself imply that accuracy is out the window

Like I said, the translations are people trying to do their best to transform ancient Hebrew and Greek etc into English. And of course between common day language and ancient historial languages there are going to be large differences that cannot be overcome simply. Which is why there are a number of different translations. Some try to understand the way the author was writing and their main implications to transform that into common language, whilst others try to convert it word for word where possible, then re-phrase as close as possible to match the implication of particular words.

even a direct translation is not accurate
i don't know how many languages you speak
but if you want to give the 'bible' a shot
try doing the Sermon on the mount in German
and then try the 10 commandments in French
doesn't come even close to the language (english/american version)
that we are currently using

I understand, there are differences between the languages. For example, German has masculine and feminine properties for nouns, whilst something like that is unheard of in English. And that basic idea will extend much, much further on ancient Hebrew.

doing your best is by definition the best You can do,
why would anyone attempt to impose their standards of 'best'
on anyone else? and more to the point, why would anyone accept
someone elses standards?
just asking

Smartarse. You fully well knew my point!

works for you
but why would anyone else accept it or care?

If someone was to open up the Bible and make some solid study and compare to their belief systems, then they'd probably agree.

proselytizing is a crime
religions are fine
if you keep it to yourself

I state what I believe is truth, just as many people state their personal views on Atheism. And besides, ya'll know I'm not preaching to you, I'm just chiming in and defending what I believe, not enforcing it. However if/when I do share with others what I believe, 'preaching' as you would say, I'd stop if someone wanted me to.

(ps, long time no see, good to have you around tatty, nothing personal just my humble opinion as are yours)
Of course it's good to be on here. I come back whenever studies and internet access allows it, which can be somewhat constricted. Although I still exist!
And where is Kyle? And Locky?

tatty000
October 26th, 2010, 02:12 PM
**At least for you, yet what you see there is part of my conclusion...let me now when you read more and are able link history, language and the texts together.
Going back to language, learn hebrew, and you'll see that many translations are far from the original.

I agree Tagnostic (Y)
Many translations are. But like I said, there are many translations out there that are not attempting to word for word it, but rather convey the general implication of the passage. In saying that, there are a few word for words out there that are quite good. I can vouch for this having a Hebrew Bible sitting there, as well as mummy studying Ancient Hebrew and Greek language history etc in college.

tagnostic
October 26th, 2010, 02:56 PM
big fun
hehehe

rzm & loki
spot check in
they pop in for a week or so
then disappear for a while
its been a bit slow so they
do get bored

want to give the baghavid vida a shot?
theres one thats been translated a few times
it takes a course or two in indian logic just to
finish a paragraph

sam the moderately wize
October 27th, 2010, 11:55 AM
My grandparents are adventist. My mother's a jew and so are my dad and brother. My dad's family is catholic. I've learnt hebrew, some greek, latin. I've read at least 10 bibles. I have one that belonged to my grangrandfather, dated 1898.

The most 'Biblical' form of Christianity is Anabaptism. I'd agree with tatty that Catholicism and many other Christian sects aren't really based on the teachings of the Bible, but Anabaptism follows quite neatly from it if you're willing to accept that it's the word of God and that New Testament teachings trump Old Testament teachings. I'm aware that some Anabaptist sects are slightly bizzare (read: bat shit insane), but the Mennonites are lovely.

From the way you talk, tatty, I'm guessing you're not an Anabaptist. Perhaps you should look them up? (Edit: That wasn't intended as a slur on you or on whatever denomination you belong to. I'm genuinely urging you to seek out some Mennonites and see what you think of their belief system.)

Wahay, existentialism! Have you read La Peste? If not, read it; you'd like it.

tagnostic
October 27th, 2010, 01:57 PM
wahay?
your yorkshire is showing
its woohoo
in the colonies

i'm thinking
eggsitenialism
i like my reality over easy

tatty000
October 28th, 2010, 12:14 PM
big fun
hehehe

rzm & loki
spot check in
they pop in for a week or so
then disappear for a while
its been a bit slow so they
do get bored

want to give the baghavid vida a shot?
theres one thats been translated a few times
it takes a course or two in indian logic just to
finish a paragraph
Yeah, they better check back in soon. Haven't heard from Kyle in like... a gazillion years. I still have a picture I drew up for him from a long, long time ago.
Evangooglist still around? I don't remember much of them but the name.
And Wallsy (Geoff)? I just remember the fights and everyone telling me not to worry about him... ha!

Speaking of India... I'm going there in 4 weeks!

The most 'Biblical' form of Christianity is Anabaptism. I'd agree with tatty that Catholicism and many other Christian sects aren't really based on the teachings of the Bible, but Anabaptism follows quite neatly from it if you're willing to accept that it's the word of God and that New Testament teachings trump Old Testament teachings. I'm aware that some Anabaptist sects are slightly bizzare (read: bat shit insane), but the Mennonites are lovely.

From the way you talk, tatty, I'm guessing you're not an Anabaptist. Perhaps you should look them up? (Edit: That wasn't intended as a slur on you or on whatever denomination you belong to. I'm genuinely urging you to seek out some Mennonites and see what you think of their belief system.)
Well, I am Australian, so you won't find any Minnonite or Anabaptist groups around here much, or not that I know of. The most outspoken Christian denominations are Pentecostalism and a little bit of the Uniting Church (a gathering of a number of different denominations). Mostly, Uniting Church is a formation of about 3 different denominations (Prespeterian, Methodist and some other) to form one church. I presume that those groupings of churches probably went along with them.

But, I find myself sitting between Pentecostalism (due to the loud music and epic light shows) and Baptist (for the hardcore preaching). Honestly, you will probably never find the perfect church, and I doubt I will, but I'm happy where I am, I have good friends, but can also be very blunt and honest and we can avoid wishy washy material, which is all I really need.

tagnostic
October 29th, 2010, 01:37 AM
Wallsy hasn't been around in about 2 years
Evangooglist popped in once but has been MIA for quite a while
rzm61 just kind of faded out during the summer
Loki will bounce in for a week or two then be gone for month
Tsar was in a couple of times during the summer
Sister Faith is still around

tatty000
October 29th, 2010, 06:55 AM
I hope to see loki n kyle round here again soon... Maybe I should message them begging them to come back...

Somewhat glad wallsy isn't around, didn't matter when I was right or wrong, he just wanted to disagree with me.

Also, I'm here for a while now, life now has order.

sam the moderately wize
November 1st, 2010, 11:33 AM
i'm thinking
eggsitenialism
i like my reality over easy

I like mine sunny side up.

tagnostic
November 2nd, 2010, 07:59 AM
roflshcuafl
damn i missed ya sam

lets roll with the
eggistentialism

the yolks on you

tatty000
November 2nd, 2010, 02:05 PM
You guys crack me up

tagnostic
November 2nd, 2010, 10:51 PM
ahm'll let
that one go

(pun-ishment}

tatty000
November 4th, 2010, 06:35 AM
You're poaching all the best yolks!

Eliomann
November 5th, 2010, 02:35 PM

Wahay, existentialism! Have you read La Peste? If not, read it; you'd like it.

Existentialism? I have enough with my new assignment: "The Torus"