Thread: Qu on Christianity
View Single Post
Old December 21st, 2010, 01:34 AM   #28
tatty000
resident
Google Worshipper

Default Re: Qu on Christianity

I will admit that atheists can have a vast knowledge of the Bible, especially comparing with a huge portion of proclaimed Christians these days. That's because (my theory) Christians are comfortable with whatever a preacher on a pulpit will tell them and leave it at that, rather than study things over. It really is a shame. I personally believe I have a good studied knowledge of Church history, doctrine and theology, although not perfect, is much greater than other 'Christians'. I personally would love to see much more done in Christians and see them take interest in Church, who we are and why we are.
However, I feel that 99% of people do not know how to interpret the Bible correctly. It is simple, yet it is so rare, Christians, Atheists, Agnostics, Catholics, etc etc all make this mistake.

Virtue of the Bible is righteousness, not 'happy' moments as you would expect. The Bible has a large portion of violence and death, it's a bloody and murderous book filled with stories of all sorts of shenanigans, but all of this done in God is righteous, it is done deservingly and is therefore good due to the deserving nature of peoples wickedness.

CS Lewis said it best, Jesus was either a lunatic, a liar or the Son of God.

Are you talking about 2 Kings 2? The Bible translation directly is youths, or young men, knowing full well what they were doing. But I'm sure you know all the answers given for this interpretation of scripture.

As for God appointing people. It seems we may just have to agree to disagree. I strongly believe God appoints particular people to particular jobs, although not ALL people will be called, some are.