enjoyment
enjoyment
enjoyment

Old December 13th, 2010, 03:14 AM   #21
OfficerFriendly
Google Minister
Google Adept

Default Re: Qu on Christianity

What do you do in India? Gosh, where do you live!????

Quote:
Originally Said by tatty000 View Post
That's what we see here. Now, God, being God, we also see a side of reasonableness to Him. For example, if we read 21:12-14, God basically says, anyone who kills someone deserves death, but if it's manslaughter, then they're to be put outside of the city in a place God appoints.
But we had never seen God, past or present, give up his time to send people to places He appoints. In fact we never seen him period. And what happens when women get stoned to death because some rabbi said God appointed her to death for manslaughter?

Apparently God lets this continue for He is too lazy to step in and make right
Old December 13th, 2010, 06:40 AM   #22
tatty000
resident
Google Worshipper

Quote:
Originally Said by OfficerFriendly View Post
What do you do in India? Gosh, where do you live!????

But we had never seen God, past or present, give up his time to send people to places He appoints. In fact we never seen him period. And what happens when women get stoned to death because some rabbi said God appointed her to death for manslaughter?

Apparently God lets this continue for He is too lazy to step in and make right
I was doing some missions work in India, good fun, very challenging but absolutely awesome.

I'll cut this short rather than a big long para. In OT times, God would speak to people, send angels or appear in some form of human (behind a curtain) and speak.
People claim to of heard from God all the time, but it is not so. Unfortunate, and I saw this first hand as well, people will lie because they can twist the supposed truth into anything and get people to believe them.
God doesn't cause bad things to happen, he allows it. And although he allows these things to happen, there is justification in this. I can't be bothered explaining etc now, when im less tired I will.
Old December 13th, 2010, 01:15 PM   #23
djura
Member enjoyment
Google Adept

Quote:
I was doing some missions work in India, good fun, very challenging but absolutely awesome.

I'll cut this short rather than a big long para. In OT times, God would speak to people, send angels or appear in some form of human (behind a curtain) and speak.
People claim to of heard from God all the time, but it is not so. Unfortunate, and I saw this first hand as well, people will lie because they can twist the supposed truth into anything and get people to believe them.
God doesn't cause bad things to happen, he allows it. And although he allows these things to happen, there is justification in this. I can't be bothered explaining etc now, when im less tired I will.
shrooms might explain angel appearances. I know of at least 2 non related cases, where individuals under influence of hallucinogenics reported angel sightings. One individual also reported seeing his late dog, and talking to him.

Alright!!! I'll kick your monkey ass my fucking self!
Judas Iscariot
, Easter day
djura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2010, 03:28 PM   #24
tatty000
resident
Google Worshipper

Quote:
Originally Said by djura View Post
shrooms might explain angel appearances. I know of at least 2 non related cases, where individuals under influence of hallucinogenics reported angel sightings. One individual also reported seeing his late dog, and talking to him.
Old December 14th, 2010, 11:38 PM   #25
OfficerFriendly
Google Minister
Google Adept

Quote:
I like you.
My sister in law did the same in Bosnia. Bittersweet.

Quote:
That's what we see here. Now, God, being God, we also see a side of reasonableness to Him. For example, if we read 21:12-14, God basically says, anyone who kills someone deserves death, but if it's manslaughter, then they're to be put outside of the city in a place God appoints.
Quote:
In OT times, God would speak to people, send angels or appear in some form of human (behind a curtain) and speak.
God is virtue. Nothing more.

I can likely count on one hand the times God allegedly had a direct conversation to a human. And at those times, it was some turning point of history. For God to appoint someone at a judgmental level is counterintuitive to what we see today. Therefore I believe with all my heart that the words you have read and understood are a tool for powerful rabbis to keep his subjects in line. Surely, God wont talk to the common folks like me, he will allegedly talk the the rabbi as they ready the gallows.
Old December 15th, 2010, 05:10 AM   #26
tatty000
resident
Google Worshipper

Quote:
Originally Said by OfficerFriendly View Post
I like you.
My sister in law did the same in Bosnia. Bittersweet.
Well thankyou.

Quote:
God is virtue. Nothing more.

I can likely count on one hand the times God allegedly had a direct conversation to a human. And at those times, it was some turning point of history. For God to appoint someone at a judgmental level is counterintuitive to what we see today. Therefore I believe with all my heart that the words you have read and understood are a tool for powerful rabbis to keep his subjects in line. Surely, God wont talk to the common folks like me, he will allegedly talk the the rabbi as they ready the gallows.
So in summary, a rabbi/priest would say, 'God says ....' as a tool for manipulation and control?
Which I would 100% agree with, if someone placed in that position, they would use it for their own self gain. However the Bible is slightly different. He would appoint only certain people, kings etc, that God had chosen, and there would be guidelines, and we read numerous times that when someone would fall away from God/dis obey, they would be put out of power. It's too much to explain, really, just read the OT, ha
And we see that all the rules and regulations put in place would all follow a particular suit.
Old December 16th, 2010, 03:51 PM   #27
OfficerFriendly
Google Minister
Google Adept

Haven't you heard? Atheist know more of the Bible than Christians do. Fact. Upon reading the Bible, our illusions were shattered and with merit, for now we see reality.

We learned from OT that 'Validly' was only exhibited from the so called enemy of God. Validity was not burdened upon the authors of the Bible, and thus in the Bible pages it was virtually nonexistent.

The Bible in the large part isn't virtue. If it isn't virtue, then it isn't God. Sure, there are good works performed in the Bible from likes of Jesus and other good folks, but admittedly it was performed from Man.

Here is reality
If we were to accept the notion that God appoints only Kings and prophets yadda yadda yadda, then we can simply turn to 2 Kings and see that God likes to murder children. You don't murder kids period. Especially for name calling. This isn't virtue. Therefore, it wasn't from Gods hand, instead it was from a monster that self proclaimed himself a prophet. BTW, he murdered his master too FYI. Of course the Bible didn't say. He isn't a dummy. His scribe simply wrote in what he was told to do.

Again, God dont appoint and rabbis/Kings/Prophets aren't talking to God. They are power hungry. Its a human trait. The OT shows they make decisions in light of staying in power. They even do that today.

EDIT: for clarity and source

Last edited by OfficerFriendly : December 17th, 2010 at 02:36 AM.
OfficerFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2010, 01:34 AM   #28
tatty000
resident
Google Worshipper

I will admit that atheists can have a vast knowledge of the Bible, especially comparing with a huge portion of proclaimed Christians these days. That's because (my theory) Christians are comfortable with whatever a preacher on a pulpit will tell them and leave it at that, rather than study things over. It really is a shame. I personally believe I have a good studied knowledge of Church history, doctrine and theology, although not perfect, is much greater than other 'Christians'. I personally would love to see much more done in Christians and see them take interest in Church, who we are and why we are.
However, I feel that 99% of people do not know how to interpret the Bible correctly. It is simple, yet it is so rare, Christians, Atheists, Agnostics, Catholics, etc etc all make this mistake.

Virtue of the Bible is righteousness, not 'happy' moments as you would expect. The Bible has a large portion of violence and death, it's a bloody and murderous book filled with stories of all sorts of shenanigans, but all of this done in God is righteous, it is done deservingly and is therefore good due to the deserving nature of peoples wickedness.

CS Lewis said it best, Jesus was either a lunatic, a liar or the Son of God.

Are you talking about 2 Kings 2? The Bible translation directly is youths, or young men, knowing full well what they were doing. But I'm sure you know all the answers given for this interpretation of scripture.

As for God appointing people. It seems we may just have to agree to disagree. I strongly believe God appoints particular people to particular jobs, although not ALL people will be called, some are.
Old December 26th, 2010, 04:01 PM   #29
OfficerFriendly
Google Minister
Google Adept

Rightousness. Not much shown in the Bible is considered the right thing to do. The actions done in the past never fixed anything in the future. It all seems like a waste of time, waste of effort, a dumb idea. Of course we can say God needed more souls to bow at him in heaven and that is why he drowned a trillion people during Noahs time.

I would make a better God. I would had come up with better ideas. Like in 2 Kings, not to murder or maim...maybe just simply appear. Or simply have the bears turn each of them on their backsides and test their butts. That would be virtue.

To kill didnt have a lasting effect as one would expect from a God like decidsion. Today it is laffable and a dumb thing to believe in.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Hybrid Mode Switch to Hybrid Mode
Threaded Mode Switch to Threaded Mode