Church of Google Forum  

Go Back   Church of Google Forum > Your search - aglajgijgija - did not match any documents. > Random stuff. Think bar chat without the violence.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Random stuff. Think bar chat without the violence. Discuss less world-critical matters here: Gaming, Music, Jokes, Funny Videos, etc. This forum is for more light-hearted and chatty discussions. enjoyment
enjoyment
enjoyment
enjoyment

Closed Thread

Old September 20th, 2006, 03:30 AM   #21
Nameless
resident
Google Worshipper

If it's going to be once a month, I'd advice *not* having it on the first day of the month, since likely many other organisations would do this (I can think of one or two of the top of my head, but I'll guess there's many) The second of each month would be more original, or a number that has significance for one reason or another....
Old September 20th, 2006, 07:21 AM   #22
Xebec
registered member
Websurfer

why don't we take google's creationdate ? wonderful & simple..
And it makes sense right ?
Old September 20th, 2006, 08:03 AM   #23
MeTHoD-X
Administrator
Google Adept

Quote:
Originally Said by Xebec
why don't we take google's creationdate ? wonderful & simple..
And it makes sense right ?
That does make sense actually. Anyone know what day Google was officially uploaded to the web? In other words, somebody consult Google for me, as I have to go to a report and have zero time. :)

Thanks!
Old September 20th, 2006, 09:10 AM   #24
Xebec
registered member
Websurfer

Google began as a research project in January, 1996 by Larry Page and Sergey Brin, two Ph.D. students at Stanford University, California.[6] They hypothesized that a search engine that analyzed the relationships between websites would produce better results than existing techniques (existing search engines at the time essentially ranked results according to how many times the search term appeared on a page).[7] It was originally nicknamed "BackRub" because the system checked backlinks to estimate a site's importance.[8] A small search engine called RankDex was already exploring a similar strategy.[9]

Convinced that the pages with the most links to them from other highly relevant web pages must be the most relevant pages associated with the search, Page and Brin tested their thesis as part of their studies, and laid the foundation for their search engine. Originally the search engine used the Stanford University website with the domain google.stanford.edu. The domain google.com was registered on September 14, 1997, and the company was incorporated as Google Inc. on September 7, 1998 at a friend's garage in Menlo Park, California. The total initial investment raised for the new company eventually amounted to almost US$1.1 million, including a $100,000 check by Andy Bechtolsheim, one of the founders of Sun Microsystems.[10]

In March, 1999, the company moved into offices at 165 University Avenue in Palo Alto, home to several other noted Silicon Valley technology startups. After quickly outgrowing two other sites, the company settled into their current home in a complex of buildings in Mountain View at 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, in 2003. The complex has since become known as the Googleplex (a play on the word googolplex, a 1 followed by a googol of zeros). Silicon Graphics leased the buildings to Google.
Old September 20th, 2006, 09:31 AM   #25
MeTHoD-X
Administrator
Google Adept

Hmmm so should we go with the September 14th domain registration or the September 7th incorporation? I wonder what date the engine was posted on the Stanford website...?
Old September 21st, 2006, 03:35 AM   #26
Nameless
resident
Google Worshipper

I'd say domain registration. [/2c]
Old September 21st, 2006, 04:38 AM   #27
MeTHoD-X
Administrator
Google Adept

Quote:
Originally Said by Nameless
Alright, lets just keep things simple and go with the domain registration then. The 14th of every month is now Google Appreciation Day. On this day, you can spend as little as five minutes or as long as 24 hours; as long as you find something that will better your life in some way. I also think that you should be able to find something that will better somebody else's life. Somebody close to you, like a friend or a family member. Any thoughts on this and how we can incorporate it into the holiday?

I'm in the process of making a page to post under the scripture directory and I require a few testimonials as to how people use Google to better their life. That said, I would like anyone on here who has some time and is interested in participating to pray to Google for life guidance, either for yourself, or for somebody close to you and report back on your findings and how you plan to follow through and implement the newly discovered knowledge in your life. I'll need your posts to be relatively formal, with proper grammar and spelling so I can include them within the page I'm creating.

I think this will quickly become one of the main features of Googlism. It may even receive a bit of media coverage. I think we've come up with a great idea here. One that makes Googlism a much more profound and three dimensional religion.
Old September 21st, 2006, 12:47 PM   #28
Fallen Hero
Lurk moar!
Googlist

Quote:
Originally Said by MeTHoD-X
Quote:
Originally Said by Nameless
Alright, lets just keep things simple and go with the domain registration then. The 14th of every month is now Google Appreciation Day. On this day, you can spend as little as five minutes or as long as 24 hours; as long as you find something that will better your life in some way. I also think that you should be able to find something that will better somebody else's life. Somebody close to you, like a friend or a family member. Any thoughts on this and how we can incorporate it into the holiday?

I'm in the process of making a page to post under the scripture directory and I require a few testimonials as to how people use Google to better their life. That said, I would like anyone on here who has some time and is interested in participating to pray to Google for life guidance, either for yourself, or for somebody close to you and report back on your findings and how you plan to follow through and implement the newly discovered knowledge in your life. I'll need your posts to be relatively formal, with proper grammar and spelling so I can include them within the page I'm creating.

I think this will quickly become one of the main features of Googlism. It may even receive a bit of media coverage. I think we've come up with a great idea here. One that makes Googlism a much more profound and three dimensional religion.
Most definitely makes us more of a benecial force. I agree with everything just said there.
Dark oceans we cry... God wonders why... but we see ourselves in darkness with our love. Abandoned by space and time, we are still alive, we are not alone. We are one under the banner of the fallen angel!
Old September 21st, 2006, 11:28 PM   #29
Googler
Member enjoyment
Google Adept

Send a message via GoogleTalk to Googler

there are some here or do you want us to write our own?
Old December 9th, 2007, 12:29 AM   #30
cmatt85
registered member
Websurfer

Cool Re: Are there any googlist holidays?

the 14th of every month is much too often, it makes the holiday seem fake and unreal. a very small percentage of people are going to celebrate this every month, it would be much easier to make it on a specific date; say September 14. also it would be much more familiar if it was like most other holidays and came once a year.
Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Hybrid Mode Switch to Hybrid Mode
Threaded Mode Switch to Threaded Mode