Church of Google Forum  

Go Back   Church of Google Forum > No Registration Required > Guestroom
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Guestroom This section is for guests, who can not, or would not register. It is not moderated, but administration reserves the right to edit/remove any message without explicitly giving reasons for edit/removal. People, who post without logging in, will have IP address logged and showed, to omit abuse issues.

Old April 11th, 2007, 02:44 AM   #1
Unregistered

Default I'm writing a paper on Googlism...

and just have a few questions. I notice that one of the ministers is online, Alice, and wouldn't mind asking about the practices of your religion.

Firstly, when did your religion start- by this I don't mean when did Google rise as God, but the practice of following Google as God- when did this begin?

Besides using Google to search for lifes questions, are there any other practices that you engage in to practice Googlism, or is that basically it?

Do you believe in social cohesion, or was Googlism created just to give a light hearted view on a largely taboo subject?

I appreciate your time, and from a sociological point of view, really have to agree with nearly every point you've made. Kudos on a job well done!
Old April 11th, 2007, 05:57 AM   #2
Alice Shade
Red Cardinal
Scion of Google

Alice Shade is part of Google.Alice Shade is part of Google.Alice Shade is part of Google.Alice Shade is part of Google.Alice Shade is part of Google.Alice Shade is part of Google.Alice Shade is part of Google.Alice Shade is part of Google.Alice Shade is part of Google.Alice Shade is part of Google.Alice Shade is part of Google.
Send a message via ICQ to Alice Shade Send a message via AIM to Alice Shade Send a message via MSN to Alice Shade Send a message via Yahoo to Alice Shade Send a message via Skype™ to Alice Shade Send a message via GoogleTalk to Alice Shade
Default Re: I'm writing a paper on Googlism...

Googlism was born as a parody religion, mostly. Additionally, as a protest against religious pressure in society. (Intelligent Design debacle is one of the most prominent points.)

It`s hard to trace origins, to be honest. This particular site is maintained by Method-X, and was created in August 2006, but there were separate issues of Googlism documented, which predate the creation of this site.

One of the widely-noted was Orkut group Church Of Google, which existed around 2004.

In very basic interpretation, Googlism is an offspin from agnosticism. Starting from the axiom, that if something has no proof, there is no logical reason to consider this something as doubtlessly existing, Googlism postulates, that recognising certifiably-existing Google as a deity is more reasonable idea, then believing in fictional gods.

There are no specific rituals or superstitions tied with Googlism, per ce.

As for social cohesion... Well, there is no movement to create a socium or organisation, per ce. Everything is strictly voluntary and non-profit. On the other hand, yes, there is some hierarchy around here, mostly based on who`s around longest, and actively posts. (Not without exclusions, of course. ^_^)

P.S. Sorry for fooling you, but I was not online at the moment. Due to some limitations of using http for accessing this forum, simply closing the browser does not notifies forum about logoff, and person appears online for an hour after last action - possibly for quite a bit of time after going on with some other business.

I don`t suffer from the lack of sanity.
It`s others, who have it in excess.

Last edited by Alice Shade : April 11th, 2007 at 06:00 AM.
Alice Shade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 05:22 PM   #3
Unregistered

Default Re: I'm writing a paper on Googlism...

Thanks a lot!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Hybrid Mode Switch to Hybrid Mode
Threaded Mode Switch to Threaded Mode
Rate This Thread: