Church of Google Forum  

Go Back   Church of Google Forum > No Registration Required > Guestroom
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Guestroom This section is for guests, who can not, or would not register. It is not moderated, but administration reserves the right to edit/remove any message without explicitly giving reasons for edit/removal. People, who post without logging in, will have IP address logged and showed, to omit abuse issues.

Old May 31st, 2007, 08:21 PM   #1
Unregistered

Default Google is becoming evil...

You see, google gets paid to put some websites before all others. Thus they end up on top of the sreach instead of being on order of relation to the searched keywords... Sadly, google does not escape the pattern of profit above customers that large organizations follow.
Ask.com is better :P

So... we have another "Lucifer" lol
Old May 31st, 2007, 08:26 PM   #2
Alice Shade
Red Cardinal
Scion of Google

Alice Shade is part of Google.Alice Shade is part of Google.Alice Shade is part of Google.Alice Shade is part of Google.Alice Shade is part of Google.Alice Shade is part of Google.Alice Shade is part of Google.Alice Shade is part of Google.Alice Shade is part of Google.Alice Shade is part of Google.Alice Shade is part of Google.
Send a message via ICQ to Alice Shade Send a message via AIM to Alice Shade Send a message via MSN to Alice Shade Send a message via Yahoo to Alice Shade Send a message via Skype™ to Alice Shade Send a message via GoogleTalk to Alice Shade
Default Re: Google is becoming evil...

Now that is just false.

Google gets paid to place advertisements - and when people visit those ads, pagerank obviously grows.

That`s hardly the same as assigning pagerank for money. (Actually, as far as I remember, there is a specific stipulation in Google TOS, which says, that one may NOT pay to achieve better pagerank.)

I don`t suffer from the lack of sanity.
It`s others, who have it in excess.
Alice Shade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2007, 08:32 PM   #3
MeTHoD-X
Administrator
Google Adept

MeTHoD-X is part of Google.MeTHoD-X is part of Google.MeTHoD-X is part of Google.MeTHoD-X is part of Google.MeTHoD-X is part of Google.MeTHoD-X is part of Google.MeTHoD-X is part of Google.MeTHoD-X is part of Google.MeTHoD-X is part of Google.MeTHoD-X is part of Google.MeTHoD-X is part of Google.

Paid results are to the right of the organic resutls. Googles Algorithms are very non-bias. Yes, people pay to get better pagerank, but there is very little Google can do about that.

Last edited by MeTHoD-X : June 1st, 2007 at 02:57 AM. Reason: apparently im dyslexic :|
MeTHoD-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2007, 01:20 AM   #4
Unregistered

"Google gets paid to place advertisements - and when people visit those ads, pagerank obviously grows."

... advertisements which get placed on the top of the first page becaused they paid for it.

"That`s hardly the same as assigning pagerank for money"

Honestly, I don't see the difference.
Old June 1st, 2007, 01:28 AM   #5
mice_taste_funny

Wink Re: Google is becoming evil...

I have to agree with you. Sorry, Googlists! But, in my opnion, further evidence of Google's lack of divinity is that it was created by humans. This also pokes a hole in Googlism, because that is another thing that most religions have in common.
Old June 1st, 2007, 01:29 AM   #6
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Said by MeTHoD-X View Post
Paid results are to the left of the organic resutls. Googles Algorithms are very non-bias. Yes, people pay to get better pagerank, but there is very little Google can do about that.
They can do the same thing ask.com does, make searches to be organized by accuracy rather then popularity or amount of money recieved.

To be honest, I love the idea of making deities out of search engines... except that I would make ask.com as the god/goddess and google as Lucifer. :P
Actually no, let me take that back. I prefer norese gods. Google would be odhin because he sacrificed something(in odhin's case it was an eye but in google's is the better search algorithms) in order to gain something else (which is money for google). Ask.com would be thor
...and microsoft would be loki or something like that..
Old June 1st, 2007, 02:25 AM   #7
AaronD
"He puts the forum in the skin, or he gets the hose again."
Googlist

AaronD speaks with the voice of Google.AaronD speaks with the voice of Google.AaronD speaks with the voice of Google.AaronD speaks with the voice of Google.AaronD speaks with the voice of Google.AaronD speaks with the voice of Google.AaronD speaks with the voice of Google.AaronD speaks with the voice of Google.AaronD speaks with the voice of Google.AaronD speaks with the voice of Google.AaronD speaks with the voice of Google.
Send a message via AIM to AaronD Send a message via MSN to AaronD Send a message via GoogleTalk to AaronD

Except that Google's top results aren't actually influenced by money. What Alisa said, as far as I know, was wrong. Google does have a sponsored results section that is seperate from the normal results, but the results are ordered according to how many pages link to a given page with whatever keywords you typed in, which is not influenced by money. Google makes most of its money off of Adsense, but again, that shows up completely seperate from the actual search results.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Hybrid Mode Switch to Hybrid Mode
Threaded Mode Switch to Threaded Mode
Rate This Thread: