Church of Google Forum  

Go Back   Church of Google Forum > Community > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Discussion Come on in and chat about whatever floats your boat. Technology, Religion, Science, Politics and of course Google Herself. Chat about whatever is on your mind.

Old June 7th, 2007, 06:00 AM   #1
Alice Shade
Red Cardinal
Scion of Google

Alice Shade is part of Google.Alice Shade is part of Google.Alice Shade is part of Google.Alice Shade is part of Google.Alice Shade is part of Google.Alice Shade is part of Google.Alice Shade is part of Google.Alice Shade is part of Google.Alice Shade is part of Google.Alice Shade is part of Google.Alice Shade is part of Google.
Send a message via ICQ to Alice Shade Send a message via AIM to Alice Shade Send a message via MSN to Alice Shade Send a message via Yahoo to Alice Shade Send a message via Skype? to Alice Shade Send a message via GoogleTalk to Alice Shade
Question Bible 2007?

Here`s a question that I`ve thought up recently...

Did anyone ever tried to rewrite Bible to accomodate for the modern ages within last century or two?

Think about it. Bible is two millenias outdated. Yet, it is supposed to perform about the same thing for humans, as OS for computers.

So how come there was no new patch, let alone new version of Bible for hell knows how long?

And here`s the most interesting problem. Bible is open-source, quite like Linux. And there are several 'brands' of Bible - and collinear systems; Qu`ran, Torah (Compare - Linux and collinear Unix & Solaris).

THe similarities are striking - even up to "holy wars" between users of different OSes.

So how come noone tried to write upgraded versions of Bible, Torah, Qu`ran to suit the modern accomodations?

I don`t suffer from the lack of sanity.
It`s others, who have it in excess.
Alice Shade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 08:34 AM   #2
jon_hill987
Google Minister
Google Adept

jon_hill987 is part of Google.jon_hill987 is part of Google.jon_hill987 is part of Google.jon_hill987 is part of Google.jon_hill987 is part of Google.jon_hill987 is part of Google.jon_hill987 is part of Google.jon_hill987 is part of Google.jon_hill987 is part of Google.jon_hill987 is part of Google.jon_hill987 is part of Google.
Send a message via MSN to jon_hill987 Send a message via GoogleTalk to jon_hill987
Default Re: Bible 2007?

because by definition they are perfect already, changing them would be admiting they are not the work of their gods.

antispam!
jon_hill987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 10:05 AM   #3
Lunchbox
Google Searcher

Lunchbox speaks with the voice of Google.Lunchbox speaks with the voice of Google.Lunchbox speaks with the voice of Google.Lunchbox speaks with the voice of Google.Lunchbox speaks with the voice of Google.Lunchbox speaks with the voice of Google.Lunchbox speaks with the voice of Google.Lunchbox speaks with the voice of Google.Lunchbox speaks with the voice of Google.Lunchbox speaks with the voice of Google.Lunchbox speaks with the voice of Google.

Because people still want to be able to sell their children into slavery...
Old June 7th, 2007, 11:05 AM   #4
Serenstar
Google Searcher

Serenstar can speak raw queries to Google.Serenstar can speak raw queries to Google.Serenstar can speak raw queries to Google.Serenstar can speak raw queries to Google.Serenstar can speak raw queries to Google.
Send a message via MSN to Serenstar

Quote:
Originally Said by Lunchbox View Post
Because people still want to be able to sell their children into slavery...
and they still believe in talking donkeys. I always knew that Shrek wasn't made up!
Old June 7th, 2007, 01:56 PM   #5
Alice Shade
Red Cardinal
Scion of Google

Alice Shade is part of Google.Alice Shade is part of Google.Alice Shade is part of Google.Alice Shade is part of Google.Alice Shade is part of Google.Alice Shade is part of Google.Alice Shade is part of Google.Alice Shade is part of Google.Alice Shade is part of Google.Alice Shade is part of Google.Alice Shade is part of Google.
Send a message via ICQ to Alice Shade Send a message via AIM to Alice Shade Send a message via MSN to Alice Shade Send a message via Yahoo to Alice Shade Send a message via Skype? to Alice Shade Send a message via GoogleTalk to Alice Shade

The question still stands, though. Didn`t anyone attempted to upgrade Bible ever since?

Old June 7th, 2007, 03:58 PM   #6
Iduna
Google Searcher

Iduna speaks with the voice of Google.Iduna speaks with the voice of Google.Iduna speaks with the voice of Google.Iduna speaks with the voice of Google.Iduna speaks with the voice of Google.Iduna speaks with the voice of Google.Iduna speaks with the voice of Google.Iduna speaks with the voice of Google.Iduna speaks with the voice of Google.Iduna speaks with the voice of Google.Iduna speaks with the voice of Google.

The problem with religious texts is, that they cannot be updated. People who updated them are either claimed to be supernatural (New Testament) or touched by the supernatural (Book of Mormon). Both were updated versions of the Bible, but all they did was forming a new religion (Xtians from the former Jews and Mormons from the former Xtians).
Can't update, just forming a new religion.
So the Church of google and the FSM can also be considered as an 'updating'
But I wonder why nobody did a religion with more women rights yet (except ours of course)
Iduna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 05:50 PM   #7
Vexx
Google Minister
Google Worshipper

Vexx speaks with the voice of Google.Vexx speaks with the voice of Google.Vexx speaks with the voice of Google.Vexx speaks with the voice of Google.Vexx speaks with the voice of Google.Vexx speaks with the voice of Google.Vexx speaks with the voice of Google.Vexx speaks with the voice of Google.Vexx speaks with the voice of Google.Vexx speaks with the voice of Google.Vexx speaks with the voice of Google.
Send a message via AIM to Vexx Send a message via MSN to Vexx Send a message via Yahoo to Vexx

Quote:
Originally Said by Iduna View Post
But I wonder why nobody did a religion with more women rights yet (except ours of course)
Because it seems men still think they're better than women just because they have a kickstand.
o_o My god, I'm turning into my grandmother. -hugs random male-

But back to topic....I do agree that people wouldn't want to update the bible because of the whole 'it's perfect the way it is' deal, but I do think I would've been able to read it a whole lot easier if it used a more updated language. Maybe cut out a few things, like the umpteen pages naming all the descendants of one guy or another.
But yeah....does 'don't steal' sound better than 'thou shalt not steal'?
And if we looked at it in the 'history' lessons it had in there....There's not much left to be added. God doesn't seem to want to work 'miracles' today, except those stigma weirdos. So in that sense, it doesn't really need to be updated....
Old June 7th, 2007, 06:05 PM   #8
Alice Shade
Red Cardinal
Scion of Google

It lacks the regulations on most aspects of modern life, while giving those on things so outdated, they are not in use anymore.

Frankly, I tend to think that christians would`ve benefitted better from advice on contraception then advice on slavery at the current time.

Old June 7th, 2007, 06:10 PM   #9
Vexx
Google Minister
Google Worshipper

Vexx speaks with the voice of Google.Vexx speaks with the voice of Google.Vexx speaks with the voice of Google.Vexx speaks with the voice of Google.Vexx speaks with the voice of Google.Vexx speaks with the voice of Google.Vexx speaks with the voice of Google.Vexx speaks with the voice of Google.Vexx speaks with the voice of Google.Vexx speaks with the voice of Google.Vexx speaks with the voice of Google.
Send a message via AIM to Vexx Send a message via MSN to Vexx Send a message via Yahoo to Vexx

I suppose that's true. I doubt anyone nowadays needs to know whether or not to stone a person to death....
But I've also seen some books before that have been labelled as 'answers to questions the bible couldn't answer' or something similar. It's basically someone taking the questions that people have now, like contraception, having sex before marriage, etc and answering them to the best of their knowledge by using the bible and their own mind....
I suppose such things would be useful in the bible, too. Maybe they should make some super bible where it has the old print, the new print, and the questions in some section afterwards....Might be huge, but it'd work.
Old June 7th, 2007, 06:16 PM   #10
Iduna
Google Searcher

Iduna speaks with the voice of Google.Iduna speaks with the voice of Google.Iduna speaks with the voice of Google.Iduna speaks with the voice of Google.Iduna speaks with the voice of Google.Iduna speaks with the voice of Google.Iduna speaks with the voice of Google.Iduna speaks with the voice of Google.Iduna speaks with the voice of Google.Iduna speaks with the voice of Google.Iduna speaks with the voice of Google.

Things like 'no sex before marriage' were of course sensible for those times: no spreading of diseases and to protect women of unwanted pregnancies (they would've been lost without a husband). But those things are outdated now in the age of condoms. No reason for that anymore.
Also things like not eating pork. Pigs are even 'cleaner' animals than cows, but their meat goes toxic very easy when not refrigerated. So it made sense then, but outdated today. And so on...
Iduna is offline   Reply With Quote

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Hybrid Mode Switch to Hybrid Mode
Threaded Mode Switch to Threaded Mode