Church of Google Forum  

Go Back   Church of Google Forum > Community > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Discussion Come on in and chat about whatever floats your boat. Technology, Religion, Science, Politics and of course Google Herself. Chat about whatever is on your mind.

Old June 23rd, 2007, 11:20 AM   #1
soffee
Searcher

soffee was not pointed out by Google.
Default I have a question

Ok, so i was revising for my physics exam on monday and i was just learning the whole theory of how a microphone works (with soundwaves making a diaphragm vibrate which then moves a coil through some magnetic field lines inducing an analogue current). And i came up with an idea. If sound can induce current the same way that steam can by turning magnet in a coil of wire, then why can't we use sound to make electricity?

You could put some kind of a giant super-sensitive microphone in a noisy city which could generate electicity with no fuel needed! Or everyone could have one in their house or in clubs or generally noisy areas?

I am pretty sure that there is a good reason nobody has ever thought of this, most probably because it wouldn't work for some reason or other. But the idea just came to my head and i was wondering if someone would like to explain to me why it wouldnt work or if i have come up with an engenious idea which will save the world from its fuel problems (which i doubt)
Old June 23rd, 2007, 01:27 PM   #2
Alice Shade
Red Cardinal
Scion of Google

Alice Shade is part of Google.Alice Shade is part of Google.Alice Shade is part of Google.Alice Shade is part of Google.Alice Shade is part of Google.Alice Shade is part of Google.Alice Shade is part of Google.Alice Shade is part of Google.Alice Shade is part of Google.Alice Shade is part of Google.Alice Shade is part of Google.
Send a message via ICQ to Alice Shade Send a message via AIM to Alice Shade Send a message via MSN to Alice Shade Send a message via Yahoo to Alice Shade Send a message via Skype? to Alice Shade Send a message via GoogleTalk to Alice Shade
Default Re: I have a question

Well...

The problem is exactly within the construction of microphone.

Putting it simply, such "sound powerplant" would produce jumbled electricity current, matching the noise.

Which is not really usable, as all devices are designed to use current of specific amplitude and modulation.

I don`t suffer from the lack of sanity.
It`s others, who have it in excess.
Alice Shade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2007, 01:45 PM   #3
soffee
Searcher

Damn, there i was thinking i'd saved the world!
Old June 23rd, 2007, 06:32 PM   #4
Digs
would seek the truth
Google Adept

Digs is part of Google.Digs is part of Google.Digs is part of Google.Digs is part of Google.Digs is part of Google.Digs is part of Google.Digs is part of Google.Digs is part of Google.Digs is part of Google.Digs is part of Google.Digs is part of Google.
Send a message via AIM to Digs

Hm. Why not have a very stable speaker in a room designed for this purpose, pointed at an array of very stable mics? How much power would a sound plant, or rather an individual microphone, generate, soffee? More than the power paid to make the speaker in this scenario work?
Old June 23rd, 2007, 11:30 PM   #5
Alice Shade
Red Cardinal
Scion of Google

Alice Shade is part of Google.Alice Shade is part of Google.Alice Shade is part of Google.Alice Shade is part of Google.Alice Shade is part of Google.Alice Shade is part of Google.Alice Shade is part of Google.Alice Shade is part of Google.Alice Shade is part of Google.Alice Shade is part of Google.Alice Shade is part of Google.
Send a message via ICQ to Alice Shade Send a message via AIM to Alice Shade Send a message via MSN to Alice Shade Send a message via Yahoo to Alice Shade Send a message via Skype? to Alice Shade Send a message via GoogleTalk to Alice Shade

Digs, speaker is NOT a good source.

For sound powerstation, you`d need monotone hum. And that is generally created expending more energy then microphones would generate.

Old June 24th, 2007, 03:37 AM   #6
-AoG-Kero
Google Searcher

-AoG-Kero works to spread word about Google.-AoG-Kero works to spread word about Google.-AoG-Kero works to spread word about Google.
Send a message via AIM to -AoG-Kero Send a message via MSN to -AoG-Kero Send a message via GoogleTalk to -AoG-Kero

but you know, excluding the thought of microphones, Sound turning into energy could be a good thing if you could create a device suited to doing the job.
-AoG-Kero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2007, 10:11 AM   #7
jon_hill987
Google Adept

jon_hill987 is part of Google.jon_hill987 is part of Google.jon_hill987 is part of Google.jon_hill987 is part of Google.jon_hill987 is part of Google.jon_hill987 is part of Google.jon_hill987 is part of Google.jon_hill987 is part of Google.jon_hill987 is part of Google.jon_hill987 is part of Google.jon_hill987 is part of Google.
Send a message via MSN to jon_hill987 Send a message via GoogleTalk to jon_hill987

It would be nice, as it would make cities quieter, but have you seen the sort of current generated by a microphone? it is bugger all. That is why the signal has to be passed through an amp before being useful.

antispam!
jon_hill987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2007, 11:41 PM   #8
soffee
Searcher

Perhaps someone could invent some sort of a sound filter that only let in a sound wave of a specific frequency. No idea how that would work, but it could be doable i guess? Anyway, just a thought.
Old June 25th, 2007, 12:34 AM   #9
Alice Shade
Red Cardinal
Scion of Google

It is doable.

Problem is, that the filtering alone will consume more energy, then microphone can produce.

Old June 25th, 2007, 01:27 AM   #10
Digs
would seek the truth
Google Adept

Digs is part of Google.Digs is part of Google.Digs is part of Google.Digs is part of Google.Digs is part of Google.Digs is part of Google.Digs is part of Google.Digs is part of Google.Digs is part of Google.Digs is part of Google.Digs is part of Google.
Send a message via AIM to Digs

Stupid law of conservation.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Hybrid Mode Switch to Hybrid Mode
Threaded Mode Switch to Threaded Mode