Church of Google Forum  

Go Back   Church of Google Forum > Community > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Discussion Come on in and chat about whatever floats your boat. Technology, Religion, Science, Politics and of course Google Herself. Chat about whatever is on your mind.

Old August 5th, 2007, 06:54 AM   #1
LordPenguin
Google Searcher

LordPenguin is respected among Googlists.LordPenguin is respected among Googlists.LordPenguin is respected among Googlists.LordPenguin is respected among Googlists.LordPenguin is respected among Googlists.LordPenguin is respected among Googlists.LordPenguin is respected among Googlists.
Send a message via Yahoo to LordPenguin
Default On the Bible and sex...

Hey, I haven't posted in awhile...but I just need an answer to a question I have. I know most of you are fairly knowledgeable about the Bible, and are much more willing to give an unbiased answer than some christians I could talk to. Anyway, I seem to remember reading somewhere that the Bible says you shouldn't 'waste seed' during sex. i.e., you should only ejaculate within a womans body, to make her pregnant.
I may be mistaken...is this a rule adopted by the Catholic or some other church, or is it actually in the Bible?

Thanks.
Old August 5th, 2007, 07:57 AM   #2
Rand
Google Minister
Google Searcher

Rand speaks with the voice of Google.Rand speaks with the voice of Google.Rand speaks with the voice of Google.Rand speaks with the voice of Google.Rand speaks with the voice of Google.Rand speaks with the voice of Google.Rand speaks with the voice of Google.Rand speaks with the voice of Google.Rand speaks with the voice of Google.
Send a message via AIM to Rand Send a message via Yahoo to Rand Send a message via GoogleTalk to Rand
Default Re: On the Bible and sex...

That's against masturbation and birth control, I think.

People are like chocolates in a box; too many kinds of them and 90% of them you hate.

DeviantART-Lith3
Rand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2007, 02:58 PM   #3
Lord_Jereth
Dark Bishop
Google Searcher

Lord_Jereth is part of Google.Lord_Jereth is part of Google.Lord_Jereth is part of Google.Lord_Jereth is part of Google.Lord_Jereth is part of Google.Lord_Jereth is part of Google.Lord_Jereth is part of Google.Lord_Jereth is part of Google.Lord_Jereth is part of Google.Lord_Jereth is part of Google.Lord_Jereth is part of Google.
Send a message via ICQ to Lord_Jereth Send a message via AIM to Lord_Jereth Send a message via MSN to Lord_Jereth Send a message via Yahoo to Lord_Jereth Send a message via GoogleTalk to Lord_Jereth
Cool Re: On the Bible and sex...

Quote:
Originally Said by LordPenguin View Post
Hey, I haven't posted in awhile...but I just need an answer to a question I have. I know most of you are fairly knowledgeable about the Bible, and are much more willing to give an unbiased answer than some christians I could talk to. Anyway, I seem to remember reading somewhere that the Bible says you shouldn't 'waste seed' during sex. i.e., you should only ejaculate within a womans body, to make her pregnant.
I may be mistaken...is this a rule adopted by the Catholic or some other church, or is it actually in the Bible?

Thanks.
In actuality, there is no specific law or commandment on the subject, per se. What you are referring to is the story of Onan.

Quote:
Genesis 38:7-10

7 But Er, Judah's firstborn, was wicked in the LORD's sight; so the LORD put him to death. 8 Then Judah said to Onan, "Lie with your brother's wife and fulfill your duty to her as a brother-in-law to produce offspring for your brother." 9 But Onan knew that the offspring would not be his; so whenever he lay with his brother's wife, he spilled his semen on the ground to keep from producing offspring for his brother. 10 What he did was wicked in the LORD's sight; so he put him to death also.
Quote:
Originally Said by The Dark Bible
Comment

The term "onanism," from the name Onan, has come to stand for masturbation which has suffered a fate similar to sodomy in the sense that it has evolved to have a meaning far different from its original usage.

Dictionaries define onanism as "male masturbation" or "Uncompleted coitus." According to interpretations of the Bible, Onan removed his penis from his partner's vagina before he ejaculated so that his seed fell onto the ground. This displeased God so much that he killed him! Onanism has also received a another definition of "self pollution" which has caused misery throughout the centuries. God killed Onan because, rather than to impregnate his brother's wife-- thus extending his line, Onan chose to interrupt his coitus before he could impregnate Tamar. Onan had a logical reason for doing so, one that involved Jewish law of those ancient days. During Biblical times, any child born to the wife of the eldest son died without heirs - and if his wife had no children sired by a relative of her dead spouse - then the dominance would pass to the second son. Onan stood to lose a great deal if he complied with his father's order. Had he been asked to marry his brother's wife, thus transferring her to his possession, he no doubt would have completed the act. Then the resultant child would have been his, legally as well as physically.

Some time during the centuries, the character of the sinful act was changed. Instead of being recognized as a seldom performed interrupting of coitus, it became accepted as any form of self-stimulation that resulted in orgasm, and the entire character of the deed became altered. Onanism came to mean a sinful act of masturbation! This has resulted in a general bad impression of masturbation even in secular beliefs. For example many a parent has told his son not to masturbate for fear of going blind. [I masturbated only until I needed glasses, Ed.]
The Dark Bible

Just one more example of the head sheeple twisting a verse or two to mean what they want. This sort of thing has gone on for as long as there has been a bible to exploit. In my experience, the church tries to destroy, deny or demonize anything that can't be either worked into their own religious framework, spun to be understood in that framework or be controlled. That's why you get sheeple claiming that UFOs are demons in flying machines and twisted dogma such as this.

Self pleasure is a form of uncontrollable (by the church) pleasure. All pleasure should be seen, as far as the church is concerned, to either come from the church itself (read, sanctioned by some higher purpose for the church, i.e. replicating more followers) or directly from gawd. To pleasure one's own self is to take responsibility for finding one's own pleasure, thereby short circuiting or bypassing the church altogether. The church has always felt it was proper, honorable and romantic for sheeple to suffer for their faith. Masturbation and coitus interuptus do not follow this ideal as concepts and so must to be stopped/demonized as a sin.

Remember folks, sex is defined as ONLY being between two people, male and female, in a darkened room, in the missionary position, with the doors locked, only for procreation and let's face it, you're not really supposed to enjoy it. It's a wonder that the church hasn't gotten rid of "Song Of Solomon" altogether by now.

*Heading off to the back room to jerk myself a soda*

LJ

"It is the position of some theists that their right to freedom OF religion is abridged
when they are not allowed to violate the rationalists' right to freedom FROM religion."

- James T. Green
<o[--------:8:-->}+=[@]=+{<--:8:--------]o>

"This aggression shall not stand, man!" -
Jeffrey Lebowski a.k.a The Dude

Last edited by Lord_Jereth : August 5th, 2007 at 03:22 PM.
Lord_Jereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2007, 05:33 PM   #4
Alice Shade
Red Cardinal
Scion of Google

Alice Shade is part of Google.Alice Shade is part of Google.Alice Shade is part of Google.Alice Shade is part of Google.Alice Shade is part of Google.Alice Shade is part of Google.Alice Shade is part of Google.Alice Shade is part of Google.Alice Shade is part of Google.Alice Shade is part of Google.Alice Shade is part of Google.
Send a message via ICQ to Alice Shade Send a message via AIM to Alice Shade Send a message via MSN to Alice Shade Send a message via Yahoo to Alice Shade Send a message via Skype? to Alice Shade Send a message via GoogleTalk to Alice Shade

Partly so.

Forbidding sex is one of the forms of crowd control.

Putting it simply - make sure that people see sex as something sinful and unclean, and then turn their repressed sexual urges into subconscious sadism.

Then just give them a scapegoat from time to time - and voila. Their minds will justify the killing of innocent scapegoats (pariahs, heretics, witches) as necessary self-defence against "polluting" touch of evil, and in doing so, will reaffirm their allegiance to you by rationalising that you WILL keep them clean, if they will continue to adhere to your rule.

I don`t suffer from the lack of sanity.
It`s others, who have it in excess.
Alice Shade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2007, 05:42 PM   #5
Rand
Google Minister
Google Searcher

Rand speaks with the voice of Google.Rand speaks with the voice of Google.Rand speaks with the voice of Google.Rand speaks with the voice of Google.Rand speaks with the voice of Google.Rand speaks with the voice of Google.Rand speaks with the voice of Google.Rand speaks with the voice of Google.Rand speaks with the voice of Google.
Send a message via AIM to Rand Send a message via Yahoo to Rand Send a message via GoogleTalk to Rand

We need a new plague, and the cure be within stem cell research. Oy how fast they'll give it up.

Point being -- honestly... it's stupid and horrible to do that to people. It's sick to tell people that a natural process of life (and pretty much the end goal of life - children) is sinful and dirty. Encourage safe sex, not no sex.

People are like chocolates in a box; too many kinds of them and 90% of them you hate.

DeviantART-Lith3
Old August 5th, 2007, 05:51 PM   #6
Alice Shade
Red Cardinal
Scion of Google

Alice Shade is part of Google.Alice Shade is part of Google.Alice Shade is part of Google.Alice Shade is part of Google.Alice Shade is part of Google.Alice Shade is part of Google.Alice Shade is part of Google.Alice Shade is part of Google.Alice Shade is part of Google.Alice Shade is part of Google.Alice Shade is part of Google.
Send a message via ICQ to Alice Shade Send a message via AIM to Alice Shade Send a message via MSN to Alice Shade Send a message via Yahoo to Alice Shade Send a message via Skype? to Alice Shade Send a message via GoogleTalk to Alice Shade

Are you kidding?

Stem cell research? Ha. Keep on dreaming. There is very efficient, medieval, CHRISTIAN way of battling plague. And very simple.

How? Kill all infected. And burn the plagued city to ashes. No need to worry, they are all martyrs, Lord will grant them a place in heaven. It`s better, then saving their lives with devil alchemy. Did not God commanded it`s their time by sending plague?

___

Do not underestimate religions. They are adepts at fighting fire with fire.

Old August 5th, 2007, 06:12 PM   #7
Rand
Google Minister
Google Searcher

Said we needed one (never said I'm expecting one), and, if they kill all infected, and some of the followers are infected... one can only hope they get a hint. But of course, you're right. I see a bit of a problem with religion rising and killing people with this age of government. I know it's completely possible, and don't doubt that they would, but some government would step in and try and keep order -- or take advantage of the chaos.

DeviantART-Lith3
Old August 5th, 2007, 08:29 PM   #8
Alice Shade
Red Cardinal
Scion of Google

Again, you wish.

Economically, it`s more profitable to kill off the plague, then to heal it.

Take a look around. Bird flu? Mad cow disease? Killed and burned. What makes you think humans will be somehow spared from same fate? When it comes to blows, there won`t be much hesitation, trust me on that.

If there would be plague, raging crowds would burn and stone plagued to death just because they are plagued, and therefore a threat.

Mercy? Compassion? Humanity? Don`t make me laugh. Crowd will sweep all of that aside and cry - "Don`t come close, you`ll infect ME!"

No, if anything, plague will be used by religions to reinforce their systems. Great London plague? God-sent punishment for herecy and sins. Churches were BURSTING with donations during the plague.

Old August 5th, 2007, 10:49 PM   #9
LordPenguin
Google Searcher

LordPenguin is respected among Googlists.LordPenguin is respected among Googlists.LordPenguin is respected among Googlists.LordPenguin is respected among Googlists.LordPenguin is respected among Googlists.LordPenguin is respected among Googlists.LordPenguin is respected among Googlists.
Send a message via Yahoo to LordPenguin

Thank you very much for your detailed answer...this helped a lot.

On the other subject...I can't see christians consciously mass-killing other christians because they're infected with a plague.

Then again, they do some pretty insane things for their god. Has anyone seen Jesus Camp?
Old August 5th, 2007, 11:36 PM   #10
Alice Shade
Red Cardinal
Scion of Google

Yes.

And I did not meant, that specifically christians will kill specifically other christians about the plague. (Though I did mentioned, that christians employing such are described in the most historical records.)

My point was, that christian denominations are most likely to support their members perpetrating such actions, while using the unfortunate circumstances to strengthen their own doctrine.

Just to be completely in the clear - I did not said that atheists won`t kill to stop plague. They just won`t use this and some supernatural god as mutually-justifying concepts to ultimately excert theological control over people.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Hybrid Mode Switch to Hybrid Mode
Threaded Mode Switch to Threaded Mode