Church of Google Forum  

Go Back   Church of Google Forum > Community > Serious Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Serious Discussion Come in and discuss world-critical matters: Science, Politics, Current Events, Religion, etc. This forum is for those wishing to debate topics so please keep on-topic and avoid short posts simply to say 'I agree', etc.

Old March 18th, 2008, 05:21 AM   #1
Vexx
Is Gone
Googlist

Send a message via AIM to Vexx Send a message via MSN to Vexx Send a message via Yahoo to Vexx
Default Euthanasia

Article
Note, the picture is a bit graphic. Don't be crude, please.

Okay....So here's something to discuss: euthanasia!
What are your feelings on assisted suicide? Do you think suicide should remain illigal and do you think it was right for those people to deny the woman from the article euthanasia?

I think euthanasia is a good idea. Alot of rules to go by, of course, but I think it should be accessable. Should you have AIDS, some deadly disease, or are in the same condition that poor woman is in, I believe that if you want to give up on the pain, go ahead. if you're just some emo punk that thinks suicide is amazing because you want to be an hero, no. Just...no.
As for suicide being illigal....I just think the idea is silly. "Oh, you tried to kill yourself? Well, apparently you're still alive, so into the jail for you! You can kill yourself later then!"
Old March 18th, 2008, 05:24 AM   #2
rzm61
Legend in my spare time
Embodiment of Google

Send a message via AIM to rzm61 Send a message via MSN to rzm61 Send a message via GoogleTalk to rzm61
Default Re: euthena

Euthanasia! Euthanasia! Euthanasia!

If abortion is legal why isn't assisted suicide?
If the person wishes to be killed then there is nothing wrong with fulfilling those wishes. I know if I was in a vegetated state or anything like that I'd want someone to pull the plug.

Vexx - I agree that suicide being illegal is quite silly.

They want me to write finger pointing songs...trouble is I only got 10 fingers.
-I'm Not There
rzm61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 07:31 AM   #3
tatty000
Venerable Member
Google Worshipper

Default Re: Euthanasia

IMO, there has to be a proper limit. For a woman in that case, I believe she would be better off seeking medical removal of something that horrific.

But, when you're 100, dying of cancer, in unbearable pain, then yeah, pull the plug.
tatty000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 01:12 PM   #4
Perna de Pau
Google Worshipper

But "pulling the plug" is not the answer. The article says that passive euthanasia (pulling the plug) is already legal. The problem is active euthanasia.

Any person should have the possibility to choose to put an end to his/her suffering.

On the other hand precautions have to be taken to avoid some family members "euthanizing" for money or just to get rid of an old person.

This being said euthanasia is a good example of the impossible agreement between those who believe in an afterlife and those who do not:

Those who would not hesitate in doing the utmost to save a beloved one from hell refuse that others, who do believe in such hell, do the same to their beloved ones to put an end the "hell" in which they live. On the other hand the second group does not understand that for the first one any suffering in this life is peanuts as compared with the hope of heaven.

What is for some the end of life, is for others just a transition and what for some is unbearable suffering is for the others a bad moment which will be duly rewarded.

"logic leads you from A to B. Imagination leads you anywhere"
Albert Einstein
Perna de Pau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 02:02 PM   #5
Dr Goofy Mofo
House MD

Send a message via ICQ to Dr Goofy Mofo Send a message via AIM to Dr Goofy Mofo Send a message via MSN to Dr Goofy Mofo Send a message via Yahoo to Dr Goofy Mofo Send a message via GoogleTalk to Dr Goofy Mofo

I think that in severe cases as her's she should be allowed to Euthanasia. But not in all cases they should limit it down and let certain case have it and others not.
On a side note what is wrong with youth-in-asia? They have anime. *drum role*

Dr Goofy Mofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 02:23 PM   #6
bouchie
Certified Maple Leaf
Googlist

God, that was a horrible joke doc. And, just so we're clear, I'm chastizing your ability to tell a joke, not the content of said joke.

Back to the topic:

Quote:
Originally Said by Perna de Pau
But "pulling the plug" is not the answer. The article says that passive euthanasia (pulling the plug) is already legal. The problem is active euthanasia.
I had not realized there were two types of euthanasia. Now, I can imagine in active euthanasia, the person who wants to die can ask someone to help them die. This I would be totally against, because you are asking someone to commit pre-meditated murder: how can you ask someone to do that? That's just wrong. Now, I can't say 'take your own life to end the pain' because that is considered counselling someone to commit suicide, and that is considered a criminal offense under Canadian Law.

But in passive euthanasia, can the person who wants to die ask? Does he/she have the capacity to make such a request?
"What does an agnostic, dyslexic insomniac do? Stays up all night and wonders if there is a dog." -Unknown
bouchie is offline   Reply With Quote

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page