Church of Google Forum  

Go Back   Church of Google Forum > Community > Serious Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Serious Discussion Come in and discuss world-critical matters: Science, Politics, Current Events, Religion, etc. This forum is for those wishing to debate topics so please keep on-topic and avoid short posts simply to say 'I agree', etc.

Old December 8th, 2008, 05:37 AM   #1
Al Farabi
Google Searcher

Default Questions For Atheists To Answer

Alright time to put the philosophical ball in your court.

1. Is there a non-material world?

2. If not, would it be a fair conclusion to draw that a perfect, complete Physics would describe, and be able to predict reliably on, all that exists?

3. If so, can free will exist in a perfectly predictible universe? If not, what would it not describe and predict?

4. Is either of those conclusions satisfactory?
Al Farabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2008, 06:36 AM   #2
Sailor7Sure
Valued Member
Googlist

Send a message via AIM to Sailor7Sure Send a message via GoogleTalk to Sailor7Sure
Default Re: Questions For Atheists To Answer

Hey, it's Mr. Farabi. Wow...this sounds as if it might be the sort of person that I am vaguely familiar with. However, I wouldn't purport to be in the same court with such a mighty texter as thou appeareth.

I just mainly barter in nonsense and assorted ramblings. Not things that actually make the mind go in any sort of an orderly fashion. But...it's nice to make your acquaintance, sir!

Besides, I'm not nearly atheist enough to answer anything here.

"Hardly had she brought one gentleman into the little pantry behind the office on the ground floor and helped him off with his overcoat
than the wheezy hall-door bell clanged again and she had to scamper along the bare hallway to let in another guest."
- The Dead, James Joyce
Sailor7Sure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2008, 12:03 PM   #3
Tsar Phalanxia
Kicker of Jams

Quote:
Originally Said by Al Farabi View Post
Define non-material. If you mean areas of reality we can't see, then yes, all the way up to the 10th dimension.

Quote:
2. If not, would it be a fair conclusion to draw that a perfect, complete Physics would describe, and be able to predict reliably on, all that exists?
No. Physics doesn't work like that. With quantum physics and chaos theory, the rate at which quantum particles decline is totally random. I'm, sure Sciki could answer that better than me.

Quote:
3. If so, can free will exist in a perfectly predictible universe? If not, what would it not describe and predict?
We have the illusion of free will, do we not? I can decide to raise my hand, and before doing so, choose not to. Whether physics predicted I would do that all along is irrelevant, as our brains have evolved to create ther illusion of free will.

Quote:
INMHO; yes. I'm content with what I have, and although if an oppourtunity arose to take complete free will, I would probably take it.

Economic Left/Right: -5.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.36
Tsar Phalanxia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2008, 02:52 PM   #4
scikidus
Silly Canadians!

Location: Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy
Send a message via AIM to scikidus Send a message via Yahoo to scikidus Send a message via Skype? to scikidus Send a message via GoogleTalk to scikidus

Quote:

As in, a spiritual world? There might be, but until it starts interfering with our observable world in some way, we have no evidence either way, so from a scientific perspective it is not helpful to assume its existence.
Quote:
Actually, no. We know that no set of Physics will ever be perfect. A man named Godel proved that, inderectly at least, using his Incompleteness theorems.

Basically, Godel showed that any mathematical structure with a finite set of axioms will have certain unsolvable problems in it, i.e. problems to which we cannot know if there is an answer.

Sicne physcis is rooted in mathematics, the same principles apply. We will eventually find that there are some problems we cannot solve. So how can physcis ever be perfect? And why would we want it to be perfect? We're always tryign to learn more. The day mankind decides that physcis is perfect and hangs its collective scientific hat on the hook is the day that I no longer wish to be a human.
Quote:
We cannot predict the future with 100% accuracy, because quantum flucuations will nto allow it. Quantum mechanics prohibits 100% accumulation fo knowledge. We have no idea whther a particle will go left or right when given two options.

So free will seems safe. Time travel into the past is not forbidden, but it is now believed that this breaks off alternative timelines. Your free will is safe.
Quote:
Yes, quite. We are always learnign mroe, but we will never know it all.

Every cloud has a silver lining, except for the mushroom shaped ones, which have a lining of Iridium and Strontium 90.
Omnis tua castra sunt habent nobis!
Expand the domain, expand the range.
scikidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2008, 08:54 PM   #5
Dr Goofy Mofo
House MD

Send a message via ICQ to Dr Goofy Mofo Send a message via AIM to Dr Goofy Mofo Send a message via MSN to Dr Goofy Mofo Send a message via Yahoo to Dr Goofy Mofo Send a message via GoogleTalk to Dr Goofy Mofo

Quote:

That ball was invented in our court!

1. "We are living in a material world and I am a material girl" Non-material.... probably would not work for Madonna and since she has a 1 word name like God I guess she is the authority on that!

2. No, The universe is chaos.

3.Free will would exist but using certain evaluation tools and stacks of equations could be predicted.

4. Nothing should ever be Satisfactory. Someone once said you only got the answer because you gave up.

Dr Goofy Mofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2008, 09:01 PM   #6
Al Farabi
Google Searcher

I mean non-material in its most literal sense: not made up of matter.

And if we are confident that we can never really, fundementally, be sure about anything (due to chaos theory), why is searching for knowledge good?

also,
Quote:
Originally Said by Dr Goofy Mofo View Post
4. Nothing should ever be Satisfactory. Someone once said you only got the answer because you gave up.
I like this
Old December 8th, 2008, 09:54 PM   #7
Dr Goofy Mofo
House MD

Send a message via ICQ to Dr Goofy Mofo Send a message via AIM to Dr Goofy Mofo Send a message via MSN to Dr Goofy Mofo Send a message via Yahoo to Dr Goofy Mofo Send a message via GoogleTalk to Dr Goofy Mofo

Quote:

And if we are confident that we can never really, fundementally, be sure about anything (due to chaos theory), why is searching for knowledge good?

also,

I like this

You are not searching for Knowledge more you are searching for understanding, Chaos may not be easy to understand but it can be understood. When you understand something you can then accept it and in accepting it it can grant you peace of mind

I just realized i added logic to my joking around... oh well.

BTW I am one of the Local Goofballs. My name minus Mofo explains me. Smart and goofy!

Dr Goofy Mofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2008, 10:10 PM   #8
scikidus
Silly Canadians!

Location: Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy
Send a message via AIM to scikidus Send a message via Yahoo to scikidus Send a message via Skype? to scikidus Send a message via GoogleTalk to scikidus

Quote:
Because we're curious creatures by nature. We want to be entertained, and we want to understand. Also, searchign for knowledge improves the quality of our lives. Even if something as simple as Boyle's law had never been found, then the steam and the internal combustion engines would never have been developed. Our civilization would never have gone global.

Every cloud has a silver lining, except for the mushroom shaped ones, which have a lining of Iridium and Strontium 90.
Omnis tua castra sunt habent nobis!
Expand the domain, expand the range.
scikidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2008, 08:30 AM   #9
Rimmer
The Ace
Scion of Google

Quote:
I believe that's what we call "energy". Anything that can be measured as a quantity is energy in one form or another, which includes, but is not limited to, matter/mass.

The cake is a lie.

"Alright, the game sucks, end of story, I wanna nail Roger Rabbit to the fucking cross!" -Angry Video Game Nerd
Rimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2008, 07:53 PM   #10
Al Farabi
Google Searcher

can energy be directly interacted with?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Switch to Linear Mode
Hybrid Mode Hybrid Mode
Threaded Mode Switch to Threaded Mode