Church of Google Forum  

Go Back   Church of Google Forum > Community > Serious Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Serious Discussion Come in and discuss world-critical matters: Science, Politics, Current Events, Religion, etc. This forum is for those wishing to debate topics so please keep on-topic and avoid short posts simply to say 'I agree', etc.

Old December 21st, 2008, 02:03 AM   #1
shinsukato
Searcher

Send a message via AIM to shinsukato Send a message via GoogleTalk to shinsukato
Default Marijuana

Pretty much everyone has an opinion on marijuana laws, and very few of them want the laws to stay the same. Whether you want the laws lifted, or the restrictions tightened, what do you have to say on Marijuana laws.

As far as I'm concerned, all victimless crimes should be legal. In the case of marijuana though, it's different. Not only is it victimless, it's nearly completely harmless. A huge number of people smoke regardless of the illegality of it, and the illegal status puts otherwise law abiding people into a difficult scenario.

Marijuana should be legal and regulated, as with alcohol.
Old December 21st, 2008, 02:54 AM   #2
rmw
Venerable Member
Google Adept

Default Re: Marijuana

Quote:
Originally Said by shinsukato View Post
Pretty much everyone has an opinion on marijuana laws, and very few of them want the laws to stay the same. Whether you want the laws lifted, or the restrictions tightened, what do you have to say on Marijuana laws.

As far as I'm concerned, all victimless crimes should be legal. In the case of marijuana though, it's different. Not only is it victimless, it's nearly completely harmless. A huge number of people smoke regardless of the illegality of it, and the illegal status puts otherwise law abiding people into a difficult scenario.

Marijuana should be legal and regulated, as with alcohol.
Agreed. While some argue that because marijuana is a mind-altering substance, it needs to be criminalized. However, the same could be said for alcohol, and though there are restrictions on the purchasing and use of alcohol (which aren't followed much of the time anyway), it is legal. Decriminalize the use of marijuana, and apply similar laws to its use as there are with alcohol--such as desiginated places to smoke, penalties while driving stoned, etc.

-Anon.
rmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2008, 04:02 AM   #3
Sister Faith
Canuckistani, eh
Googlist

Location: Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the eastern twisted arm of the province of Ontario

Quote:
Originally Said by rmw View Post
Decriminalize the use of marijuana, and apply similar laws to its use as there are with alcohol--such as desiginated places to smoke, penalties while driving stoned, etc.
Well said rmw.

It makes no sense to criminalize an (almost) harmless herb while alcohol, which causes more deaths, is not. If a substance is going to be criminalized for 'our own good', shouldn't it be the substance that can cause the most harm?
Pot is criminalized for political reasons, not for 'our own good'. Marijuana laws are Sumptuary Laws. And that's why it's potential benefits are being ignored/buried.

Quote:
Originally Said by fosley
But life isn't about after we're gone; it's about now.
Sister Faith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2008, 01:20 PM   #4
Tsar Phalanxia
Kicker of Jams

Quote:
Originally Said by Sister Faith View Post
Pot is criminalized for political reasons, not for 'our own good'. Marijuana laws are Sumptuary Laws. And that's why it's potential benefits are being ignored/buried.
*Applause*

Economic Left/Right: -5.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.36
Tsar Phalanxia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2008, 01:22 PM   #5
Dr Goofy Mofo
House MD

Send a message via ICQ to Dr Goofy Mofo Send a message via AIM to Dr Goofy Mofo Send a message via MSN to Dr Goofy Mofo Send a message via Yahoo to Dr Goofy Mofo Send a message via GoogleTalk to Dr Goofy Mofo

I say make everything illegal, get the people good and angry and then maybe they will start to stand up for what is right rather then complain and do nothing.

Dr Goofy Mofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2008, 05:21 PM   #6
rmw
Venerable Member
Google Adept

What disturbs me is in the US, states' rights are considered an important foundation of our country's legal/social system. However, the federal government threatens to crackdown on the citizens who use marijuana for medicinal purposes, in states where such use is legal.

-Anon.
rmw is offline   Reply With Quote

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Switch to Linear Mode
Hybrid Mode Hybrid Mode
Threaded Mode Switch to Threaded Mode